*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread

The G2 will start shipping tomorrow so I figured it was time for a thread away from the launch speculation thread.

The HP Reverb G2 is HP's next generation virtual reality HMD developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft. Marketed by HP as the "No compromise VR headset", featuring a high resolution display and improved tracking.

Highlights:
  • Resolution: 2160x2160 (Per eye)
  • Refresh rate: 90hz
  • IPD Adjustment: 60-68mm (Hardware adjustable)
  • Tracking: Internal (4 Cameras)
  • Audio: Built-in over ear speakers
  • Connection: USB 3.0 Type-C, Displayport 1.3 (6M cable, Requires AC Power also)
b60f62ecbd8ffb4dc3be2cb515a958fb.md.png

Anyone who pre-ordered by the end of July should receive their G2 on Tuesday 1st December, those after that should receive them 10th December and onwards. Post here when you receive yours and post your initial impressions.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Glad you're all getting them! Nothing with mine yet but that was mostly expected from having ordered August 1st. Hopefully in the next week or so we'll see some more coming out :D

Nice to see some first thoughts on the unit! Very exciting now.

Soldato
OP
So this is using a different method of reprojection than Steam? I'll need to check that out tomorrow.

I tried Assetto Corsa tonight for 5 mins with steam reprojection to get a smoother experience - had most stuff set to low quality and 80fps. Would you run higher settings and WMR reprojection at around 50 to 60 fps?

Also tried a couple mins of Arizona Sunshine.

How is AC in the G2? Will be one I'll play a fair bit I'd imagine. I enjoyed it with my Rift S but the resolution let it down.

Soldato
OP
At the moment I'm at 80% supersampling and have everything on low quality, so the textures looked a bit soft. But it was very clear and easy to see what's going on. I was hot lapping, well maybe warm lapping to make sure I didn't make myself ill. It's an odd experience going around corners as.the brain expects g force that isn't there. Sitting in an F1 car did feel pretty awesome though.

That's good to hear.

Yes it's a very weird sensation to begin with but once you get over it, it transforms the game from playing it via a screen!

Soldato
OP
As much as it sucks still sitting here waiting for my G2, it's been quite good hearing everyone's thoughts on it plus all the tips and tricks. Really looking forward to it now. Hopefully have it nest week!

Soldato
OP
Just spent the evening with my G2. Have to say I'm blown away. Coming from a Rift S it's a night and day difference.

I had an issue with audio switching between the G2 and back again, found a USB hub to plug it into and it works perfectly (I have a X570 motherboard).

Otherwise setup was a dream. Really looking forward to FS2020 VR to be released now!

Played a few games, some Assetto Corsa which was awesome, stunning visuals. Played some beat saber, that really showed off the colours of the screens, makes the Rift S look very dull in comparison. And The Lab is an excellent showcase of details!

Soldato
OP
WOW, do you have a super computer at home? 3090 rigs barely do 45-ish fps on a pancake 4k. :eek: Microsoft has to do something about it!

I have a 1080, should be interesting :p

I re-installed XP11 last night to try out the VR, even that is absolutely amazing, so I think FS2020 is going to be incredible. I do find FS2020 to run much better than XP11 in general though.

I have noticed in games I have a lot of VRAM usage in VR, I guess that's part of having so many pixels.

Soldato
OP
My X570 has been perfect using a basic unpowered USB hub. Weird isn't it? Hopefully there will be a fix shortly!

I'm actually really impressed with the sound, it blocks out a lot of external sounds, plus it's not loud for others in the room.

Soldato
OP
Just got my headset today and also having USB issues on an x570 board. None of the rear USB ports work, only my 2 USB 3 ports at the top of my case detect the headset, strangely. Audio kept switching between the headset and main speakers so I changed some settings in WMR and it stopped crashing SteamVR but now audio keeps dropping out... Ordered a powered usb hub, hopefully that fixes it too, for now.

Yes that's exactly the issue most people on X570 are having. I'm using a basic non-powered USB hub and it's working perfectly.

Soldato
OP
Just tried updating my X570 to the latest BIOS and disabled PCIE Gen 4 but that didn't fix the issues, so will stick with the USB hub for now, hopefully they will roll out a proper fix in time.

Just spent some time setting my G2 up properly with the cables all hidden away now. The mount I 3d printed for my Rift S also fits the G2 quite nicely. Just need a new mount for the controllers as the rings are a lot bigger than Rift S ones!

Soldato
OP
HP are offering £50 cashback for pre-orders.

SystemActive said:
We apologise for all the delays, missed delivery dates and general confusion caused during the HP Reverb G2 Pre-order launch.

As a good will gesture HP is offering you £50 cashback which will be paid into the account of your choice. To receive the cashback, you must visit this page - https://systemactivereverb.com/ and complete the simple claim form.

You will need to provide a copy of your Invoice as proof of purchase. You can download a copy of your invoice from your account on our website https://systemactive.co.uk/online/

If you did not create an account when you pre-ordered your headset please email [email protected] with your name and order number.

The Reverb is provided with a standard 1-year HP warranty. The warranty covers collection, repair and or replacement. For peace of mind and to prevent a long disruption should your headset fail you may like to use the £50 as part payment for the HP 3-year next business day forward exchange service for the Headset. A replacement headset will be sent to arrive with you the day after your call to HP. It sells for £72 so for £22, minus your £50 cashback, it is great value.

Here is a link to our page where you can buy or find out more about this service. https://systemactive.co.uk/online/product/hp-3-year-next-business-day-exchange-vr-headset-only-service-for-hp-reverb-g2-uc5x3e/

Our office staff is working remotely due to the pandemic so we are unable to efficiently answer your enquiries over the phone. If you have questions or wish to contact us please email [email protected] and you will be answered far more accurately and quickly.

We hope you stay safe and enjoy your Xmas and that we all experience a much better New Year in 2021

Soldato
OP
Hi all, new reverb owner here just got one yesterday from ebay, it won't turn on. The plug adapter is not uk, it looks euro with the 2 prongs, so i bought this euro to uk plug adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088LPL4GW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 however its still not turning on. The adapter works ok, i've tested it elsewhere (on a 6A device fwiw).

The adapter is rated at 13A (the fuse is 13A), in the description it says its not suitable for powered items, and i notice the plug from the reverb says 16/250 in tiny writing on it, does this mean its 16A and this is why it's not working? The fuse in the plug adapter is easily accessible, if this is the problem i could easily change it for a higher amp fuse (or is this dangerous?).

Also, I've manually started the "Mixed Reality Portal" software, did the pc check, it says i am ok apart from not having Bluetooth (does my pc need Bluetooth?).

edit to add: not pleased about it not having a UK plug adapter, the ebay ad just stated "UK stock" so i assumed it would be a UK headset with a UK plug. I'm not seeing any 16A adapters in my google searches....maybe that's why he got rid.

The euro plug with an adapter shouldn't cause you any issues really. The plug on my G2 has a 5A fuse, if you want to replace the power cable with a UK one it's called a "C5 Cloverleaf Power Cord" if you wish to search that in the usual places.
Not having Bluetooth isn't an issue for the G2 as the controllers link to the headset itself and not the PC.

Do you have an AMD X570 system? You may be having a USB issue which is a common problem. If you do then try a USB hub to see if it connects.

Back
Top Bottom