HP Reverb G2 PC hardware

Associate
I have already contacted HP asking if my hardware will be powerful enough for the new VR headset. I have seen it compared side by side with the Rift S and Valve Index on YouTube and the increased resolution and FOV looks very impressive. No doubt all other makes of VR headset will soon catch up with the same or higher spec. If you see my present hardware below, my GTX980Ti will not be powerful enough, although it may work on half resolution, which is pointless. I would upgrade to a RTX2070. I already have a Oculus Rift VR which works perfectly. I have done a Rift S hardware test, and it passes on all the present hardware. I have also performed the MS Windows Mixed Reality test, and passed. I must say some time ago just before I purchased the Oculus Rift VR, I posted a similar question on this forum, and someone with a very powerful PC , replied that my system was way underpowered for the Rift. That was proved nonsense. I am interested in Flight Sims and Aerofly FS2 VR works a dream even with settings at maximum, very smooth frame rates. Looking forward to MS Flightsim 2020 in VR with the HP Reverb G2. So looking at my hardware (below) any reasonable views please, other than the GTX980Ti.

Soldato
I have problems running flight sims and driving sims at a locked 80 or 90fps framerate without drastically turning down the detail levels on my Index, and I have a 3900x and a factory overclocked 1080ti.

To be honest, on my old Rift CV1 dropping down to 45fps interpolated wasn't a big issue as Oculus Asynchronous Timewarp does a great job of interpolating the framerate with minimal artefacts. Steam VR's version is awful by comparison - lots of artefacts, and wobbly picture, so I have to turn it off. I'm not sure how good the WMR version is by comparison. (This shows that it's not just hardware that makes a good VR experience).

The G2's half resolution mode will have a big advantage in that SDE will still be almost invisible, so it may well be an acceptable way to use the headset until the newer graphic cards come out.

Of course the other unknown quantity is how well optimised MS Flight 2020 is going to be...

Associate
OP
For the Reverb G2 HP recommend a minimum GTX1080, however I assume all GTX cards will only run on half the resolution 1080x1080 and I think GTX cards will not cope with 90Hz refresh. I don't see any point in HP bringing out a VR headset that no present graphics card can handle the full 2160x2160 resolution at 90Hz? RTX cards should handle the resolution, but if the settings are up to ultra, I think that would be a strain even for a 2080Ti with a high end CPU and 32GB of ram? However, of course it matters what you are playing on VR. FS2020 is going to very graphics intensive, and will push any CPU and GPU to its full limits, even possibly the ram. And also because part of the HD uses virtual memory, anything less than SSD will be too slow. But that only applies to very intensive graphic games and sims. Far less intensive VR apps like example, virtual desktop VR should look as clear and sharp as on my 4k Monitor.

Soldato
For the Reverb G2 HP recommend a minimum GTX1080, however I assume all GTX cards will only run on half the resolution 1080x1080 and I think GTX cards will not cope with 90Hz refresh. I don't see any point in HP bringing out a VR headset that no present graphics card can handle the full 2160x2160 resolution at 90Hz? RTX cards should handle the resolution, but if the settings are up to ultra, I think that would be a strain even for a 2080Ti with a high end CPU and 32GB of ram? However, of course it matters what you are playing on VR. FS2020 is going to very graphics intensive, and will push any CPU and GPU to its full limits, even possibly the ram. And also because part of the HD uses virtual memory, anything less than SSD will be too slow. But that only applies to very intensive graphic games and sims. Far less intensive VR apps like example, virtual desktop VR should look as clear and sharp as on my 4k Monitor.

3xxx series cards are being announced in 2 weeks, maybe wait and see how a 3070 fares before making any decisions.

Associate
OP
Your right, maybe a lower setting. I have seen the side by side detail settings of MS2020 on YouTube and there is not a huge difference in detail settings. I will wait for the Nvidia RTX3xxx GPUs to come and decide what to do.

Soldato

I run AMS2 and PC2 with the G1 on a 1080ti . I have to run low settings, but it's smooth and crystal clear.

Soldato
Your right, maybe a lower setting. I have seen the side by side detail settings of MS2020 on YouTube and there is not a huge difference in detail settings. I will wait for the Nvidia RTX3xxx GPUs to come and decide what to do.

a lot of the big difference comes from draw distance... the quality of what is up close is generally always pretty good even on lower settings but the trade off is that they quickly lod down or disappear entirely with distance.

Associate
I'm having a rubbish time with the G2 its so stuttery and juttery even in the menus of the games running a 3080 and 9700k 16gig 3600mhz DDR4 I have no idea how to troubleshoot it, doesn't matter what settings I run.
Have you turned down the steam resolution per eye to 50%, apparently by default its 100% and higher than the native resolution of the headset

Associate
I have tried 50% resolution and it looks terrible on the G1. I would not be happy running that way.
yeah but this is about the G2 :), i know its the same resolution but its slowly becoming common knowledge thats what we need to do for now, otherwise terrible performance in the g2, even with a 3080

Soldato
its posted in a lot of places thats what you should do, done it with my 3080 also

Those people are talking ******** about things they don't understand.... putting it to 50% to match panel resolution shows a fundamental lack of understanding as to how VR works.

Putting it to 50% to reduce the rendering load and make your games more playable, absolutely. But all this nonsense about the steam setting being wrong and "correcting it" by setting as close to "native" as you can needs to stop, as it is straight up mis-information. If you are running at what you believe to be native resolution you are in fact significantly under sampling and will suffer a significant downgrade in clarity as a result. At 100% all VR headsets render to a buffer at a significantly higher resolution than the panel resolution (around 140%) so that they can apply barrel distortion correction and then send the 2160x2160 distortion corrected image to the headset. If you reduce the render target you reduce the amount of data it can sample from for the corrected image and will just end up receiving an undersampled 2160x2160 distortion corrected frame to the headset.

Last edited:
Associate
Those people are talking ******** about things they don't understand.... putting it to 50% to match panel resolution shows a fundamental lack of understanding as to how VR works.

Putting it to 50% to reduce the rendering load and make your games more playable, absolutely. But all this nonsense about the steam setting being wrong and "correcting it" by setting as close to "native" as you can needs to stop, as it is straight up mis-information. If you are running at what you believe to be native resolution you are in fact significantly under sampling and will suffer a significant downgrade in clarity as a result. At 100% all VR headsets render to a buffer at a significantly higher resolution than the panel resolution (around 140%) so that they can apply barrel distortion correction and then send the 2160x2160 distortion corrected image to the headset. If you reduce the render target you reduce the amount of data it can sample from for the corrected image and will just end up receiving an undersampled 2160x2160 distortion corrected frame to the headset.
Yeah I know now mate, learning more each day on how it all works, he mentioned performance tanked in game menus, sounded like he needed to adjust the slider, turned out to be something else, glad he sorted it

I assume the g1 at 100% steam sets a different resolution to the g2?, hence why the other guy could raise his on his 1080 where most of us with g2 are having to lower ours for better fps,
As I say looks great at 100%, just not playable for me, I prefer the 90 fps, there will be exceptions to the rule, such as HL Alyx which can run at 100% on my 3080, going to have to tinker with each game

Back
Top Bottom