• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking for a Ryzen 5000 Guru!

Associate
I'm looking for someone who can fully explain to me my 5950x and voltage
I have moved from intel so these voltages freak me out.
If i leave it as default OR pbo in ryzen master only turning on xmp, i can look at the voltage most times on the vcore sv12 and it will say around 1.48v
I can play cyberpunk and it will say more or less the same upto 1.45v very rarely for a second going below 1.4v
So because i'm freaked out i have manually clocked all core to 4.4ghz @1.35v
I have the Aorus Master mobo if it helps
Thx

Soldato
You're doing it wrong, just let it do it's things. Those voltages are normal.

What this guy said.
It's not all core 1.4v (or 1.48) all the time. It flips between cores constantly so it only 1.4v for a millisecond or so before it goes down and to another core. When all cores are needed the frequency will reduce and voltage will reduce too.
PBO does (at the moment anyway) result in higher voltages being applied to all cores when they are needed.

Example with my 5800X
Cinebench R20 all core with PBO on auto (default) pushes all 8 cores to 4.5Ghz applying 1.288 - 1.30V to all cores at the same time.
With a manual all overclock, I was able to push all cores to 4.7Ghz with 1.275V

This will be PBO just playing it safe stability wise and applying greater voltage on a lower (rated) clock speed for all cores. New BIOS and PBO2 hopefully brings better results for me with curve optimizer as currently it doesnt work great

Associate
OP
Right ok, that makes me feel a little better, now if I do this PBO precision boost overdrive 2 thing, which guided me with +200mhz pbo scaler x10, and i believe i tried minus 12 curve optimizer, I basically have nothing to worry about as it has safeguards for voltage? I just need to keep and eye on temps right? Because i have only thus far with all that only gone just over 70c a few times. Thanks for all your help on this. Intel was always clearer cut as far as volts concerned

Caporegime
Right ok, that makes me feel a little better, now if I do this PBO precision boost overdrive 2 thing, which guided me with +200mhz pbo scaler x10, and i believe i tried minus 12 curve optimizer, I basically have nothing to worry about as it has safeguards for voltage? I just need to keep and eye on temps right? Because i have only thus far with all that only gone just over 70c a few times. Thanks for all your help on this. Intel was always clearer cut as far as volts concerned

Correct.

-12 may be a little aggressive for your better cores on curve optimiser and may not be aggressive enough on the weaker cores. Curve optimiser isn't well understood and may vary significantly from one CPU to another.

Soldato
PBO2 is not a think yet as far as i'm aware. Its being released in new BIOS shortly. +200mhz scaler x10 negative voltage on my two best cores crashes when benchmarking.
Worth a try though as your may be different. It also depends on the motherboard being used

Caporegime
PBO2 is not a think yet as far as i'm aware. Its being released in new BIOS shortly. +200mhz scaler x10 negative voltage on my two best cores crashes when benchmarking.
Worth a try though as your may be different. It also depends on the motherboard being used

PBO2 is out on several boards it would seem even before AGESA 1.1.8.0 is out. X570 Taichi has it as best I can tell, as do any other boards with Curve Optimiser as this seems to be part of PBO2.

Associate
I'm looking for someone who can fully explain to me my 5950x and voltage
I have moved from intel so these voltages freak me out.
If i leave it as default OR pbo in ryzen master only turning on xmp, i can look at the voltage most times on the vcore sv12 and it will say around 1.48v
I can play cyberpunk and it will say more or less the same upto 1.45v very rarely for a second going below 1.4v
So because i'm freaked out i have manually clocked all core to 4.4ghz @1.35v
I have the Aorus Master mobo if it helps
Thx

All core 4.4 Ghz should be set lower than 1.2V. The 5950X should happily run at 4.6 All core at 1.2V You will typically need more than 1.3V for 4.8+ and a cooling system that can handle it. For PBO, leave the VCORE at auto unless its unstable then do stages of an offset of + 0.0125 increments until stable.

Soldato
PBO2 is out on several boards it would seem even before AGESA 1.1.8.0 is out. X570 Taichi has it as best I can tell, as do any other boards with Curve Optimiser as this seems to be part of PBO2.
If PBO2 is curve optimiser then ive had it all along. I thought PBO2 was corrections to curve optimiser to make it work correctly with certain boards.
I'm on this BIOS which i have been since it was released

Version - 7C35vA82(Beta version)
Release Date - 2020-11-16

Associate
OP
All core 4.4 Ghz should be set lower than 1.2V. The 5950X should happily run at 4.6 All core at 1.2V You will typically need more than 1.3V for 4.8+ and a cooling system that can handle it. For PBO, leave the VCORE at auto unless its unstable then do stages of an offset of + 0.0125 increments until stable.
Thx for the advice, I'll take a look. It was more voltage fear, I need to unlearn all i have learned

Associate
If PBO2 is curve optimiser then ive had it all along. I thought PBO2 was corrections to curve optimiser to make it work correctly with certain boards.
I'm on this BIOS which i have been since it was released

Version - 7C35vA82(Beta version)
Release Date - 2020-11-16

I was thinking the same.

Associate
I could only get 4.6 stable at 1.3 so agreed should be lower, 1.2 is a stretch though, but depends what he has his llc set too

Back
Top Bottom