Cities: Skylines free on Epic Games Store

Soldato
Prepare to watch your pc grind to a halt. It's the best sim city style game I've ever played, but god damn does it kill a pc when you grow a city past a certain point.

:)

Soldato
What is it that bottlenecks it? CPU grunt/GPU/RAM?

It's a while since I last played it, but with a 1070, a 4 year old i7, and 16gb of ram... I'd have expected an old game to handle it easily. It would literally slow down to 5-10fps.

It's a common issue with the game when your cities are past a certain point. Building a rig with a 5800x and 3060 tomorrow, so will be interesting to get back into this again and see if things have improved.

Soldato
Its just badly optimised.

Obviously having a higher spec PC helps, and yes you really do need 32GB of RAM if you plan on modding it at all.

To be honest, even 64GB isnt completely rediculous, I have had a city hit nearly 30gb so I am not sure how much of the rest of your system is using at the same time.

EDIT: Just out of interest I fired up my old Vegas style city and it loaded 30.7GB of assets and mods.

First time I have fired the game up on my new build R7 5800x, 64GB RAM and it does run better, I am getting like 10-20 fps where as before it was like 5 fps.

I will get properly back into this game some point soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To be honest, even 64GB isnt completely rediculous, I have had a city hit nearly 30gb so I am not sure how much of the rest of your system is using at the same time.

You need 32gb ram and really really fast cores for this game, but to be fair the game engine probably needs optimisation,

I have an i7-8700 with 32 GB RAM and will likely be upgrading to a Ryzen 5900 next year. But AIUI this game is poorly threaded so the extra threads won't help.

Soldato
Without mods (well, limited mods) it "performs" fine on a 2600X and 16GB RAM. With mods, the sky is the limit.

The performance issues aren't really frame rate is more how long the game takes to calculate a day. With huge cities, 2x speed and 3x speed will be just as quick as the game can't calculate everything within the time frame a day is supposed to last.

But regardless it's such a step up from the other city builders you need to get it if it is even remotely on your radar, especially for free

Soldato
No idea about mods for the game but I guess if they don't work in the EGS then the Steam version is only £3.49 on CDkeys.

Do you think it's worth the mods?

Steam version has also been in the 99p tier of Humble Bundle several times with a bunch of the DLCs so keep an eye on Humble Store, Humble Monthly etc.

Sure is generous of Epic to give away such massively valuable games though

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Steam version has also been in the 99p tier of Humble Bundle several times with a bunch of the DLCs so keep an eye on Humble Store, Humble Monthly etc.

Sure is generous of Epic to give away such massively valuable games though

Without mods you are not even going near the capabilities of the game or what you can achieve with it.

I'm going to give the free one a spin later, and if I get into it and mods are steam only then £3.49 isn't going to break the bank :)

Back
Top Bottom