And people wonder why adblockers exist....

Soldato
[rant]
Goes to browse news story

ERMAGERD U GOTTA ACCEPT THE COOKIES

fine, **** it i'll just purge them later

All seems good, start reading article

GONNA SCROLL U TO TOP NOW KTHX

ffs, i'll just scroll back to where i was

GONNA DO SCREEN OVERLAY NOW, GONNA TAKE A FEW

starting to get slightly peeved now, what do they want now

GOT ADVERT NOW, BUT IT HAS CLOSE BUTTON

Fine, i'll just close this ad and we'll be good

OH SRY WE FORGOT TO ADD THE SUBSCRIBE OVERLAY AND ASK YOU FOR COOKIES

well at least these only take up the bottom half of the screen, i'll just read the top half

HERE COMES THE OVERLAY AD AGAIN

**** this, i'm done

Note to self, never try to read a ******* news story again. There's advertising and there's being an *******

While i'm at it dear tommy hilfiger: i will never buy one of your products just to spite you for the thousand ******* repeats of your youtube ad i've been getting spammed with this past month because google doesnt like it when you turn off ad personalisation.

That's all, not really looking for advice or sympathy, just venting.

[/Rant]

Man of Honour
Yup :( I actually try to be fair when it comes to blocking ads, almost never on YT etc., but the state of some sites and the way more and more are getting crammed into things like YT videos, etc. the increasingly more I'm inclined to blocking them.

Not just ads though - so many sites now page starts loading and just as you are about to get to the content boom various cookie and other permission overlays, then the sign up stuff, etc. and it is just poor design that has me doubling down on the script blocking, etc.

Soldato
uBlock Origin

Doesn't stop those popup vids from playing on newspaper sites. Those things drive me nuts.

Yup :( I actually try to be fair when it comes to blocking ads, almost never on YT etc., but the state of some sites and the way more and more are getting crammed into things like YT videos, etc. the increasingly more I'm inclined to blocking them.
Not just ads though - so many sites now page starts loading and just as you are about to get to the content boom various cookie and other permission overlays, then the sign up stuff, etc. and it is just poor design that has me doubling down on the script blocking, etc.

I wouldn't feel too much sympathy for YT/google to be honest it/they are not exactly poverty stricken and mine you for every ounce of data they can squeeze out of you.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't feel too much sympathy for YT/google to be honest it/they are not exactly poverty stricken and mine you for every ounce of data they can squeeze out of you.

Ive noticed that the number of ads on youtube seems to have skyrocketed of late.

Used to be i could go days without a single ad now its every 10 minutes.

Needless to say the more ads appear the more inclined i'm becoming to blocking them.

Soldato
yea tbh i block everything now and have no remorse. Occasionally i use another laptop with no such software and it blows my mind how bad it is.

Also, here in the US, top google results are all sponsored, so are amazon results etc. Month by month it's getting harder to use stuff and filter through all the ****.

Caporegime
Man of Honour
yea tbh i block everything now and have no remorse. Occasionally i use another laptop with no such software and it blows my mind how bad it is.

Also, here in the US, top google results are all sponsored, so are amazon results etc. Month by month it's getting harder to use stuff and filter through all the ****.

You could try DuckDuckGo for searching. It doesn't track you and doesn't store any information about you so it couldn't manipulate what search results you get even if the company wanted to, which it doesn't. Google search isn't a search engine. It's spyware that has a search engine as a secondary function.

The reason why it's getting harder to use stuff and filter stuff is that almost all companies don't want you to. The world is increasingly dominated by surveillance businesses that seek to acquire as much information as possible on as many people as possible for profit and power. Any services they provide are very much secondary to their main purpose.

I currently use Pale Moon and NoScript, with everything blocked by default. My permanent whitelist consists of 8 sites. If a site doesn't work with that combo, I don't use that site. Right now, for example, this page has 5 seperate sources for scripts that do...who knows? The only one my settings allow is overclockers itself. It's almost certain that if I allowed the other 4 they would add more scripts from more sources and those would add more scripts from more sources, etc. And this is a very "light" site when it comes to that sort of thing. Some pages on some sites end up dumping scripts from dozens of sources on you. Many of which are spyware, of course. You are the product.

I'm going to have to change browsers at some point, as spyware companies (notably Google) have gained enough power to impose their own standards on the web. An increasing number of sites won't work without them. But I haven't found a browser that supports them and isn't raddled with spyware.

Of course I know the main spy companies will be tracking me as much as possible anyway. I just don't like meekly accepting it and letting them manipulate everything I see (and thus manipulate me) and blight my use of the internet in the ways described in this thread.

Soldato
All of the news websites made on the Mirror platform are terrible, Liverpool Echo is one there's so many ads have to watch like 5 mins of one for a 10 sec car chase or something

Associate
Been using pi-hole for years. It's good for sure. YouTube Vanced app for Android (no Root required) completely removes adverts 100% of the time, I cannot watch YT with adverts on mobile, impossible.

Soldato
Firefox for Android is, in my opinion, the only viable option for Android if you want privacy. There is no other browser that has real support for Add-ons (Kiwi add-on support is hacky and they don't work properly) and this means you get to control what you want to block.

I use the nightly build because you can enable an add-on collection which allows you to use add-ons that Mozilla haven't yet approved, otherwise if you use the proper release or beta you're limited to what they've approved.

With this I'm using uBlock on medium mode (have to allow 3P scripts and frames on a per website basis), LocalCDN with rules generated for uBlock and Privacy Badger. I've also enabled DNS over HTTPs, HTTPs only mode and eSNI in about:config.

It really is a fantastic browsing experience and I can also use the element picker with uBlock to block other annoyances like white listing adverts.

Back
Top Bottom