• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 7nm vs Intel 14nm

Soldato
intel 14nm is better than amd 14nm. so cant really compare the 2 since parts of the process are not actually 14nm or 7nm.

going from 14nm to 7nm is reduced die size for same chip and lower voltage so less heat and power consumption but depending on design since die is smaller heat density could get higher.

Permabanned
Hi all

I've been comparing a couple of CPU's from Intel and AMD and noticed that AMD use a 7nm technology and Intel 14nm..

Whats the key difference? I know temps are usually lower but is it by much or very minimal?

Cheers

Hi,

TSMC' N7 class processes are much denser which allows AMD to make chips with much more transistors with better characteristics. You can start reading details from there:

7 nm process - Wikipedia

14 nm process - Wikipedia

Soldato
OP
intel 14nm is better than amd 14nm. so cant really compare the 2 since parts of the process are not actually 14nm or 7nm.

going from 14nm to 7nm is reduced die size for same chip and lower voltage so less heat and power consumption but depending on design since die is smaller heat density could get higher.

Thanks, So is it a major difference to look for when buying a CPU?

Hi,

TSMC' N7 class processes are much denser which allows AMD to make chips with much more transistors with better characteristics. You can start reading details from there:

7 nm process - Wikipedia

14 nm process - Wikipedia

Cheers for this i shall have a read through that wiki page and watch some youtube videos

Associate
Not really. Comparing nm of different cpus is utterly pointless as there is not standard between them. It's up to each company to define what they measure and how and then throw a number out. There is a good video of der8auer that goes into depth with this.

Permabanned
A Zen 3 laptop APU with 45 watt TDP (TSMC N7) will be as fast as Intel's 200+-watt Core i9-10900K (14nm).

PassMark:
Ryzen 7 4800HS - 19,044 marks (100%);
Ryzen 9 4900H 45-watt - 19,064 marks (100%);
Core i9-10900K 200+-watt - 24,110 marks (126%).

PassMark - AMD Ryzen 9 4900H - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)
PassMark - Intel Core i9-10900K @ 3.70GHz - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

Geekbench:
Ryzen 7 4800HS 45-watt - 6,755 points (100%);
Ryzen 9 5900HX 45-watt - 9,015 points (133%);

AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Flagship 8 Core Cezanne-H Zen 3 CPU Benchmarks Leak Out, Faster Than Intel's Core i7-10700K (wccftech.com)

Soldato
OK cheers for the help all of you, I now know its not something to look out for I can concentrate on the other parts of a CPU that really matter

Exactly what parts of a cpu are you concentrating on now? The pin count? The colour? The weight?

Give us a budget you want us to work with and we can get some potential builds specced up.

Soldato
OP
Exactly what parts of a cpu are you concentrating on now? The pin count? The colour? The weight?

Give us a budget you want us to work with and we can get some potential builds specced up.

:p I do like to count the pins to make sure they're all there, if there's 1 missing then I get a full refund...

I have a budget of upto £200 and have a Z490 Board... I just wandered if the NM was a factor to take on board so I could see if I was better going back to AMD

Permabanned
Yeah i am going to scout around and hopefully get a used 10600

Ryzen 5 3600 is still faster.

:p I do like to count the pins to make sure they're all there, if there's 1 missing then I get a full refund...

I have a budget of upto £200 and have a Z490 Board... I just wandered if the NM was a factor to take on board so I could see if I was better going back to AMD

Funny, how did you end having an Z490 board? Is it new unused or used?
Sell it and jump to something like this lol:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £319.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
OP
Ryzen 5 3600 is still faster.

Funny, how did you end having an Z490 board? Is it new unused or used?
Sell it and jump to something like this lol:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £319.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

I sold that exact board and thought i'd try Intel without doing much research :p Think i may have to go back to AMD and learn from this :p My current Intel z490 board is about a week old if that

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom