EKWB D5 pump failure < 12 months

Soldato
Not impressed at all, discovered an odd knocking noise from my PC, on closer inspection and feeling, it's the pump I ordered from EKWB back in January. Upon changing the pump speed it has the notorious 'whine' of the impeller rubbing against the ceramic. Gonna grab a D5 from another shop. My pump has barely been through standard use, it sits at very low RPM, even when gaming as I strive for an inaudible PC.

Not sure what EKWB will offer in terms of refund/replacement. I'm not sending them the pump until I've got one spare.

Super annoying! Anyone had a D5 fail this fast? It was fine all of 3 days ago, the PC has been on constantly at idle with some light gaming thrown in (my pump ramps up slightly when gaming) and the case hasn't moved since I installed the 3090 waterblock weeks back.

Associate
Unusual, d5 usually last a long time as long as there's no dry running, that kills them pretty quick. I'd expect EK to replace it, within a year is within EU warranty.

Soldato
OP
Unusual, d5 usually last a long time as long as there's no dry running, that kills them pretty quick. I'd expect EK to replace it, within a year is within EU warranty.

Yea, I've never run it dry, I did have one time an air pocket got stuck in the impeller when filling the loop up and it ran semi dry for about 15 seconds. But even then, I'd not expect a failure 6 weeks down the road. Super odd.

I've ordered a new one already, I'll RMA this one once it arrives, I just hope EKWB have common sense and don't ask for the entire res back as it's a 360 flat res combo (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL).

Associate
I had EK combo bought from OCUK and pump failed after 1.5year. OCUK gives only 1 year warranty but EK sent me new one with no problems. In my case I had to show them photos of the impeller.

Soldato
Tbf i've heard a lot of bad things about these new D5 pumps from EK. The older Vario types seem to be a lot more reliable. I still have an old EK D5 vario and an XSPC variant of the old Laing D5 pumps in use which are to my surprise a lot quieter than the new ones for some reason.

Soldato
It's not just screwed on too tight is it? I've found you can overtighten the ring that holds the pump to the top.

But then I don't see why it would start doing it after time passed. .

Back
Top Bottom