Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
Just got a cheapo h.view camera (hv-500g2) to try out. I'm just contemplating the best way to run the wiring up the wall. I have a decent sized ip rated connection box, but the stupid 3x cables coming off it are not going to easily go through the glands. Anyone got any good tips for a tidy and water proof install?

ACtC-3eDVUHFXlCvjlKV3thCiQZAbV_qk7EGqjVmXwrThIZshnJRmw_cmyyaYfHuyBht1tQftcROSFHKG2EKiIbS-8AYbUTfW8PjctCRGqcOjNlMUnzgeqaQmUfdABLy6wUrVn2-G-MQ0yn0Y_YcR6bH1AQRGA=w1250-h937-no

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:
Don
I'd cut them all off, it's easy enough to re-crimp an RJ45 cable then just plug both ends into a coupler, as for the other cables they are much simpler so just use whatever your favoured termination product is (I'm a sucker for chocolate blocks) and shove all that in a waterproof junction box.

or if you are fussy about how it all looks, cut everything off, solder each connection and re seal with heat shrink.

Associate
One is a 12v power supply (that I don't need) and the other is a re-set button (that I might need). My soldering is ropey at best, I have a punch tool and have done loads of patch panels and sockets, but I never terminated the cables onto rj45 plugs. Are the cheap rj45 crimpers any good? Is it quite easy to do?

I'm going to investigate split glands or maybe just try cutting one in half/dismantling it as that looks like it could be the easiest solution.

It's doesn't need to look amazing, I just don't want loads of trailing wires and want everything sealed from the weather.

Dave

Man of Honour
I've done this with a camera that got water ingress in the connector and it went ok, crimping your own cables makes wiring the house up so much easier & cheaper!

Cheap rj45 crimpers are fine in general & its not too hard to do if your careful, only thing i would say is your working with a limited length of cable so do some practice terminations with other cables (and buy a cable tester to check they are good, again very cheap - just don't run poe though them).

Associate
I already have a cable tester from when I ran all the solid core round my house. Obviously I can't test the plug I crimp onto the end of the camera lead anyway, which is a slight concern. I was thinking getting the End Pass Through plugs to make things a little more idiot proof?

Dave

Soldato
You might be able to get a junction box that fits everything inside. Does the camera tell you what diameter the mounting holes line up with? My box here (PFA130E) has multiple holes on it and had plenty of room for all the cables to go in without cutting any off. Difficult to guess from your camera's pic (online) but I think yours would fit a 56mm diameter.

Box is a dahua PFA130-E.

Or if your not sure, measure the distance between two of the holes and I will go measure my spare box.

eGEVlWsh.jpg

Associate
Thanks all. I have treated myself to some half decent VCE crimpers as I have always wanted an excuse to by some (what a geek). I'm going to practice making a few cables up then cut off the plug on the camera and re-fit one so I can use the standard cable glands. I can get the re-set button and redundant 12v power through them easily enough.

I have spent my afternoon reading reviews of the camera mounts that allow you to store and passthrough the connectors. The H.view one is out of stock and the more I read up on the other ones the less sure I am that they are compatible!

Thanks

Dave

Soldato
What is the latest go-to external Hikvision camera for around £100-£150 with good quality image in day and night?

Need to (likely) replace a ds-2cd2342wd-i that no longer shows up in the IVMS.

Shows directly on the screen at the NVR but even then the image is only updating every minute or so.

Will try access it directly and reset it but NVR not showing it as connected so might have to faff around and try reach it directly somehow via IP with a PoE switch.

Associate
ACtC-3cMETAu_2iTnAbCf_FApSCOfYlhxScOmC54Iv2TNKYL2JfXPQcynCp8OS0TEyQGF6V7NBI2JE3hLfyTtm_gnk5O7e3UbfmYuJ-a7iDPNqYe1rvU80Fu-FA2LvteUn5XyvYXPOUVQoVnx2xGdlyzkkAoQA=w800-h937-no
Well that didn't got to plan.... I cut off the Female plug to swap it with a male one and I only have 6 wires and I have (from left to right) Blue/White, Black, Green/White, Purple, Green and White. The middle two pins are not in use. As I'm swapping this female connector for a Male one am I doing a mirror image of it? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm screwed otherwise!

Thanks

Dave

Associate
The female connector will be going straight into a keystone in a ip rated box on the wall. I'm glad I have the End Pass Through plugs as I reckon it will be quite fiddly!

Thanks

Dave

Soldato
What is the latest go-to external Hikvision camera for around £100-£150 with good quality image in day and night?

Need to (likely) replace a ds-2cd2342wd-i that no longer shows up in the IVMS.

Shows directly on the screen at the NVR but even then the image is only updating every minute or so.

Will try access it directly and reset it but NVR not showing it as connected so might have to faff around and try reach it directly somehow via IP with a PoE switch.
Factory reset and got it to a stage where the stream is perfect if you connect directly to the camera itself and view it online in a web browser. But going through the NVR via IVMS or even directly on the screen plugged into it, the image is frozen / only updating every 20 seconds or so.

Any thoughts or is it broken?

I imagine if a factory reset and firmware upgrade didn't fix it, nothing will.

Soldato
Looking to replace that dodgy Hikvision.

Dahua DH-IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV seems to be talked about a lot here from a quick search.

Is that the best 'middle ground' / all rounder Dahua do and where is best to purchase in UK? I imagine it will work fine with the Hikvision NVR?

Is Hikvision no longer recommended over Dahua?

Soldato
Dahua and Hikvision play innovation leapfrog in the budget surveillance camera world. Hikvision ColorVu were the thing to have when they first came out and now Dahua have TiOC and by September we'll all be back on Hikvision no doubt. That Dahua TiOC you mentioned is a very good camera. Hikvision don't have anything as good right now.

As far as I'm aware the only Dahua reseller selling to consumers theoretically is BroadBandBuyer. Just be aware that they require you to set up a 'trade' user account and the terms and conditions are business to business so the DSR doesn't apply and you have f-all consumer rights if anything goes wrong. The idea with Dahua and Hikvision is you're supposed to buy them through an integrator who makes their money doing the install but DIYers want nice cameras too. Dahua may also pull BroadBandBuyer's supply as the 'proper' resellers are having fits over the fact that the public can even see the prices, let alone buy the equipment itself.

If you have issues getting anything, or want a proper trade price, send me a trust message ;)

Soldato
That's annoying. I wonder if there is something you can put on the glass to stop that from happening?

The only issue I have had with the dahua tioc bullet camera for my patio is when it is foggy. The LED reflects off the fog I think and the view is not great. It kinda looks like it is raining heavy but you can still see.

Go into the menu and Turn on Anti-Fog. It sounds like some sort of demister but actually it's to stop reflections from microscopic water droplets in the air (fog/mist).

Soldato
Dahua and Hikvision play innovation leapfrog in the budget surveillance camera world. Hikvision ColorVu were the thing to have when they first came out and now Dahua have TiOC and by September we'll all be back on Hikvision no doubt. That Dahua TiOC you mentioned is a very good camera. Hikvision don't have anything as good right now.

As far as I'm aware the only Dahua reseller selling to consumers theoretically is BroadBandBuyer. Just be aware that they require you to set up a 'trade' user account and the terms and conditions are business to business so the DSR doesn't apply and you have f-all consumer rights if anything goes wrong. The idea with Dahua and Hikvision is you're supposed to buy them through an integrator who makes their money doing the install but DIYers want nice cameras too. Dahua may also pull BroadBandBuyer's supply as the 'proper' resellers are having fits over the fact that the public can even see the prices, let alone buy the equipment itself.

If you have issues getting anything, or want a proper trade price, send me a trust message ;)
Cheers mate! Will take you up on that offer and trust message you now :)

That explains why when I set up my bb account yesterday I still could not see the price haha

Back
Top Bottom