Random 3D printing chatter

Man of Honour
I printed another thing also mashed it up into a new model using this as a base:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4309163

My modded smaller skr 1.4 case:

and printed:

couple of first layer issues on the lid (should have cleaned the build plate :( - but ill fill it with a bit of plasto give the whole thing a little sand and a coat of paint :)

I also printed this for my niece to paint!

Last edited:
Soldato
I printed another thing also mashed it up into a new model using this as a base:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4309163

My modded smaller skr 1.4 case:

and printed:

couple of first layer issues on the lid (should have cleaned the build plate :( - but ill fill it with a bit of plasto give the whole thing a little sand and a coat of paint :)

I also printed this for my niece to paint!

That's very good.
Well impressed with with what you've done with the printer :)

Man of Honour
That's very good.
Well impressed with with what you've done with the printer :)

So here she is:

Case mounted, new psu mounts, new end caps for z. I sprayed the top of the case to go with the white and black theme you started. software wise it is dialled in. :D Hardware because the skr 1.4 turbo has 4 fan ports but only 1 of them is pwm im going to build a little break out box for control over the electronics and hot end fan.

I am also going to do some investigating on the thermostat see if I cant link that to the board. After that its a Pi3/4 case electronics etc with another little lcd I think.

I also have a wireless module for the skr so ill stick that in there at some point. Oh and I bought a pi3 so I can mount that on it and have some octoprint.

Last edited:
Soldato
So here she is:

Case mounted, new psu mounts, new end caps for z. I sprayed the top of the case to go with the white and black theme you started. software wise it is dialled in. :D Hardware because the skr 1.4 turbo has 4 fan ports but only 1 of them is pwm im going to build a little break out box for control over the electronics and hot end fan.

I am also going to do some investigating on the thermostat see if I cant link that to the board. After that its a Pi3/4 case electronics etc with another little lcd I think.

I also have a wireless module for the skr so ill stick that in there at some point. Oh and I bought a pi3 so I can mount that on it and have some octoprint.

From a ugly duckling to a swan :D

Awesome work there dude.

As for the thermostat. Have you tried PID tuning?

Man of Honour
From a ugly duckling to a swan :D

Awesome work there dude.

As for the thermostat. Have you tried PID tuning?

Haven't tried anything with the thermostat just yet. It's been working as a stand alone thermostat and isn't connected to any of the rest of the machine. Its on my list to grab the model number and do some proper reading up on it. Am hoping it's got some com ports that I can hook up to the board for external control.

Associate
I upgraded my extractor fan for a more powerful model (seen here top-right) mainly for removing the smoke generated by the laser cutter/engraver which sits on the bed of the Artillery X1 when not used for printing. Then it occured to me I can actually fully enclose this little area between the two shelves using a sheet of polythene and then I can safely print using stinky filaments like ABS. I've printed ABS in the past without an extractor and would not do it again!

Associate
So here she is:

Nice printer. Question where is the heated bed? All I see is glass so what's the thermostat and SSR for?

Also I wouldn't bother with the WiFi module for the SKR, 1) it's super slow and the interface is rubbish and 2) Use the Pi and Octoprint for that.

Man of Honour
Nice printer. Question where is the heated bed? All I see is glass so what's the thermostat and SSR for?

Also I wouldn't bother with the WiFi module for the SKR, 1) it's super slow and the interface is rubbish and 2) Use the Pi and Octoprint for that.

It is here!! 220v 600w and currently connected to a digital thermostat have a look at the pics:

Ive only just finished the rebuild so am working out the quirks!

As for the relay - That will be used by the Pi3 I have bought to turn the mainboard on. Or at least that is the plan. I inherited the printer with mega2560+ramps and have been slowly modernizing it.

Man of Honour
Oh OK hard to see on the first picture. So what I would do (Have done) is to remove the thermostat and use the SSR, you have a thermistor on the Keenovo pad connect that to the SKR and wire the bed to the SSR and PSU and then wire the bed connector on the SKR to the SSR to control the power.

Right I think that makes sense. Perhaps ill have a little look at that a bit later on today. I thought maybe I could keep the thermostat and have the board control that but what you are saying seems to make more sense.

Man of Honour
Oh my bad that's a DC - DC SSR. Ignore what I said.

Its ok ill buy the right SSR :) I think this SSR will allow me to use the Pi3 to control the power to the mainboard etc though. Just need to get my head abound it all and work out what I want to do. She is printing really nicely though which is good :)

Associate
My iDEX printer WIP, one tool fitted and configured then other printers got hold of my time, lol.

More details here https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34217819

dav.jpg
fDyyNW3

Back
Top Bottom