• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I broke it! | RTX 3090 Water block install gone wrong

Associate
*EDIT* See this post: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34519953

I don't mind you laughing at me, honest!

Basically, never attempt to do something like this while having a blazing row with your girlfriend!

I ordered this ASUS STRIX OC RTX 3090 in September 2020, it arrived Saturday 16th January 2021. Had all the stuff ready to go on the card, EK water block and back plate.

I've done this a few times before, and never had an issue. But this time its gone all wrong. All because I was to heavy handed in removing the existing backplate (due to girlfriend row! My fault, not hers!), which caught two capacitors on the board and ripped them off. The attempt to reattach them to the board obviously didn't go well!

I test fitted the card in my other gaming PC, this particular 3090 was destined for my sim racing rig to run my new HP Reverb G2 (which is amazing BTW!). But as soon as the PC was turned on, there was much white smoke, followed by a lovey smell of burning electronics, you know exactly the smell I am talking about don't you!

So yeah, I failed massively with this card!

Question is, what can I do with it? No warranty, as number one I've evidently removed the warranty sticker, and number two, this was my fault, not NVIDIA's!

I obviously don't have the skill to repair it myself. :D
So do I stick it on eBay and hope for the best?
Use it as a door stop, or an expensive paperweight?
Find someone who has a far better chance of repairing it?
Forget NVIDIA and wait for the new AMD card (more waiting :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Associate
Painful to see but at least you have a great attitude about it, I guess those caps ripping off put a new perspective on that argument too.

Best of luck with any salvage efforts.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions guys, and also the condolences!

Its on eBay now. There isn't anyone around where I live (North Devon) that I know who could attempt to fix it.

I'm a very impatient individual and blindly thought I could fix it myself. As some have said, expensive lesson learnt!

Associate
I know who may be able to repair it. If you are interested, I can ask him. The process would involve to ship the GPU to Germany, but he is the the best engineer I know and the most skilled person with a soldering iron.

Oh! one more thing! please, don't touch it any further to avoid making more damage! :) Also, if you are going to use it as door stop, please send it here, I will try to repair it myself :p:p

Back
Top Bottom