Nitty Gritty Laura Kuenssberg!

Am I understanding this correct.

Laura said the word bitty gritty. Someone was so outraged they complained about the use of the word. Just 1 person.

It was found that the use was fine and nothing happened.

Then stockhausen, so outraged about the outrage, made a thread to talk about this one single person complaint?

Does that sum it up or have I missed something?

If correct, stock you honestly need to get a life along with the person that made the complaint.

Soldato
Maybe we should look down on the word 'slave' too. Clearly connected to slavery. :rolleyes:
You joke, but I work in the electronics industry, Master + Slave has been used for ages to describe the roles of end points of a connection. There is talk to ban this and replace it with other words.

Caporegime
Am I understanding this correct.

Laura said the word bitty gritty. Someone was so outraged they complained about the use of the word. Just 1 person.

It was found that the use was fine and nothing happened.

Then stockhausen, so outraged about the outrage, made a thread to talk about this one single person complaint?

Does that sum it up or have I missed something?

If correct, stock you honestly need to get a life along with the person that made the complaint.
It's been front page news in several news outlets.

Why shouldn't he post about it? It's clearly a hot topic right now, by that metric at least.

Man of Honour
If all the words that any desperately offended person allergic to thinking decrees are somehow offensive are banned, the desperately offended people will have to think of new excuses for blaming other people and thinking isn't what they do. So we should use all the words that offend them as much as possible, for their sake.

In related news, the letter 'n' should be banned immediately because it's so closely associated with racism - "the n word". So obviously 'n' is a megaracist letter and I should be hanged for typing it.

The fact that nobody knows the etymology of "nitty gritty" for certain is irrelevant. The fact that the phrase has no connection to slavery or racism is irrelevant. Facts are irrelevant. Reality is irrelevant. All that matters is that someone decrees that a word or phrase is offensive to a higher status group identity. Even if they're outright lying. One example that comes to mind is 'handicapped'. Some people decreed that it was offensive to a higher status group identity and created a fake etymology to "prove" their point. The real etymology(*) is well documented. It's also irrelevant because a big part of the point is that ideology is more important than reality. Things mean what the Ministry of Truth says they mean and that is all.

* It originates from a custom linked to setting odds for gambling on horse races.

Permabanned
Now personally I cannot stand Ms Kuenssberg but what paranoid lunatic came up with this bizarre etymological theory

I remember being chided for using the phrase years ago for the same reason. Really don't get it at all, but there's no shortage of people out there ready to be offended on somebody else's behalf.

Caporegime
If all the words that any desperately offended person allergic to thinking decrees are somehow offensive are banned, the desperately offended people will have to think of new excuses for blaming other people and thinking isn't what they do. So we should use all the words that offend them as much as possible, for their sake.

In related news, the letter 'n' should be banned immediately because it's so closely associated with racism - "the n word". So obviously 'n' is a megaracist letter and I should be hanged for typing it.

The fact that nobody knows the etymology of "nitty gritty" for certain is irrelevant. The fact that the phrase has no connection to slavery or racism is irrelevant. Facts are irrelevant. Reality is irrelevant. All that matters is that someone decrees that a word or phrase is offensive to a higher status group identity. Even if they're outright lying. One example that comes to mind is 'handicapped'. Some people decreed that it was offensive to a higher status group identity and created a fake etymology to "prove" their point. The real etymology(*) is well documented. It's also irrelevant because a big part of the point is that ideology is more important than reality. Things mean what the Ministry of Truth says they mean and that is all.

* It originates from a custom linked to setting odds for gambling on horse races.
Funnily enough they managed to get the "A-OK" diving hand signal banned, as it's now associated with white supremacy, lawls.

Reality doesn't matter, only offense. Believing oneself to be the victim of systemic racism is proof that systemic racism exists. Feelings are proof. If I feel discriminated against, somebody must pay! Preferably by being hounded out of their job!

Soldato
Funnily enough they managed to get the "A-OK" diving hand signal banned, as it's now associated with white supremacy, lawls.

Is that serious? I thought it was weird seeing all those lunatics in the US doing the a-OK sign.

If that’s really the way we’re going, we need a massive social shift - This is ridiculous isn’t it?!

Caporegime
Is that serious? I thought it was weird seeing all those lunatics in the US doing the a-OK sign.

If that’s really the way we’re going, we need a massive social shift - This is ridiculous isn’t it?!
Yeah it started off as a p-take by 4chan iirc, saying that the hand signal was associated with white supremacist movements (for the lulz), then some of those groups genuinely adopted it and now it's a bona fide white supremacist hand signal. And thus banned, lol.

Crazy times we live in.

Permabanned
Why people are so weak as to allow minority pressure groups who have usually come to the UK through choice to raid the English dictionaries looking for specious offence I don't know.

I'll give a brief example of how ludicrously gullible and pliable people now are over such things. I know a radio amateur who has the letter V in his call sign. He started using the phonetic Vole instead of Victor, and was often asked why he was using the word Vole. He replied that it was now deemed offensive to use Victor as it was considered an oppressive and supremacist term. An unbelievable number of amateur radio people took it on board unchallenged... The odd one still retaining some vigour threw a good wobbly though, thank God ;)

Soldato
As ever, remember that this will never stop, only get worse and creep into life more and more while academia, education and the social media platforms who import it from the other side of the pond are dominated by people who adhere and are indoctrinated into this ideology to varying degrees.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Funnily enough they managed to get the "A-OK" diving hand signal banned, as it's now associated with white supremacy . . .
It might be funny if this canard were actually true. However, who exactly is going to take any action over this signal in the deep?
One of America’s oldest civil rights organisations has said it does not think the thumb and forefinger “OK” hand gesture is a white supremacist sign.

The Anti-Defamtion League (ADL) issued the clarification after two journalists known to be supporters of Donald Trump made the sign while standing behind the podium at the White House press briefing room.

Back
Top Bottom