• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

To upgrade or not?

Associate
Hi all,
Currently have a brand new 3700x just returned to me from an AMD RMA due to the memory controller issue.
Now do I sell this one and get myself a 5800x.
System runs 4 x 8gb Corsair 3600 Vengeance pro rgb kit, so my thoughts behind it are that the 5800x should be better at running the 4 sticks.
Seem to recall the 3 series had issues with more sticks.
Any thoughts.

Soldato
Are you unhappy with your 3700x's performance? Would you benefit from the performance increase of a 5800x? What resolution do you game at? Do you use any applications that could make good use of the additional IPC?

Personally, I don't think it's worth it, especially for games. The 5800x is too expensive.

Soldato
It's really well priced on OCUK atm.
Compared to it's recent pricing, sure. Still doesn't make it good "value". Value is subjective.

Only the OP can decide if spending the extra is worth the performance boost. If he games at 1440p or above and doesn't use his PC for any video encoding or other heavy work tasks, then it's money down the drain vs a 3700x that he already owns.

The simple way of looking at it is:

1) Is your PC underperforming? No? Then don't buy it.
2) Will you benefit from the IPC increase in a meaningful way? No? Then don't buy it.
3) Do you want a shiny new CPU just because? Yes? Then buy it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are you unhappy with your 3700x's performance? Would you benefit from the performance increase of a 5800x? What resolution do you game at? Do you use any applications that could make good use of the additional IPC?

Personally, I don't think it's worth it, especially for games. The 5800x is too expensive.
Not unhappy with the performance of my 3700x and I'm at 1440p so no issues there either.
Thinking about the 5800x due to running the 4 sticks of ram at 3600 and knowing the 3700x sometimes struggle running infinity fabric speeds with more sticks of ram.
Or am I making that up?

Associate
I did a 3700X to 5800X upgrade myself at the weekend. Noticeable performance gains and better memory stabilitiy for my 4x8GB 3600MHz kit.

Also happy that my 3700X will be a drop-in upgrade for a friend running a 2700X currently.

Associate
OP
How are you finding memory stability now compared to the 3700x?
I always struggled to get mine running at the rated memory speeds and getting the Infinity fabric up to that speed made things worse.

Soldato
Um, this one is new unopened. Has to be worth more than a used item surely
I didn’t say used, I said second hand. Second hand means no warranty or comeback if anything goes wrong, regardless of whether it’s used or not. If anything it’s even more risky as it hasn’t technically been tested. Anyway...

I’m not aware of any fabric issues with 4 sticks of RAM, this is something new to me. So you manually tune your RAM or just enable XMP? I assume it’s a matched memory kit?

Associate
OP
4 matched sticks, manually set timings and voltage.
It always had issues from the off.
Would run fine then sometimes not post when restarted.
This progressively got worse and worse having to reduce memory speeds etc.
I just put up with it until about a month ago it failed to post at all.
Luckily my son has just upgraded his pc with 5800x and 4 x 8gb 3200 vengeance pro so I have been able to test my components.
Once the processor was swapped out the board came back to life.
In all fairness AMD have been spot on with the RMA, I did however have issues with brexit which in turn caused issues with DHL.

Soldato
I didn't do any overclocking, but when I built a PC for someone else recently, I was able to compare my 3800x + 3080 to a 5800X + 3080. I saw no noticeable difference between the two rigs in VR with the G2 Reverb.

The Reverb is basically 4k, so the 3080 GPU was probably doing all the heavy-lifting in my case.

Soldato
The 3700X and 5800X have the same IO die / memory controller so it's just down to luck of the draw for any particular CPU.

Soldato
4 matched sticks, manually set timings and voltage.
It always had issues from the off.
Would run fine then sometimes not post when restarted.
This progressively got worse and worse having to reduce memory speeds etc.
I just put up with it until about a month ago it failed to post at all.
Luckily my son has just upgraded his pc with 5800x and 4 x 8gb 3200 vengeance pro so I have been able to test my components.
Once the processor was swapped out the board came back to life.
In all fairness AMD have been spot on with the RMA, I did however have issues with brexit which in turn caused issues with DHL.
Interesting. Did you try simply running XMP instead? Did that make any difference?

Associate
OP
System up and running, had a few issues on first boot.
Been in and quickly adjusted the memory and infinity fabric.
All running well atm.

Back
Top Bottom