£25 - 30k Saloon

Man of Honour
I'm curious, why would the 40i lend itself to shorter trips any more than a 30d

There is very little value to a diesel on a short trip around town, it's exactly the wrong environment for it, plus don't forget the DPF etc.

The 530e has a 4 cylinder petrol engine otherwise would be perfect. I like the 545e but then you're back to the facelift cars with black wheels etc. But the small fuel tank seems like an issue too.

To be fair I use my 530d for short trips (though not as much as I did as we just use the Mini for runs into town and I don't commute etc now) but the future isn't going to be kind to diesel is it?

Soldato
To me, it's fine that diesels have a lower resale value if that's reflected in the asking price, which for the likes of the 3/4 series, it seems to be. A diesel may be worth less than petrol in time, but it's never going to be worthless, is it? There will always be a reasonable price offered for transport that's in good condition with service history, etc. People buying older BMWs aren't going to particularly care whether something is Euro 7 or not.

Gangster
Associate
OP
Neither of these cars are credible 25-30k buys. They are both F30 3 Series - a discontinued and dated car that came out almost 9 years ago. It's not a bad car - far from it - but it isn't a £30k car anymore. If you want one spend £15k on a 335i instead it's basically the same experience at half the price.

If you particularly liked the 335d you should instead look at the G20 330d. Despite being a 330d instead of a 335d it isn't really that much worse performance wise but crucially it is the all new, fresh 3 Series platform - a much better car than the previous model and well worth the slight power compromise over the 335d. It is available with 4wd. There is also a 330i which is similarly powerful but is a 4 cylinder petrol turbo.

Alternatively, if you crave 6 cylinder petrol power then look at the 540i - these are just creeping under £30k now but will be 3 or so years old. It is at least a current generation car though and is so much better than the 2012-2019 model 3 Series. It is also 4wd only in the UK.

Please please please please don't spend £30k on a 335d or a 340i.

thanks bud.

I won’t be spending 30k on a 335d or 340i, it’ll be closer to £20-25 And to be honest you’re right, they do look outdated.
I like the look of the new 320i (g20) but it’s just a tad too slow for me. The M340i looks ideal but out of my budget. Maybe I should wait till September or next year for the M340i to come within my budget

I like the interiors of the Audi’s but the exterior (a4/s4/rs4) looks cheap compared to the BMWs and Mercedes.

The problem is probably exaggerated a little, as is usual for the internet.......

I have a C43. Yes, crabbing is a problem but it's only when you're at almost full lock, only when the temperature is below 15 degrees C, only when you're travelling at speeds under 10mph and only on summer tyres. Therefore only in specific circumstances will you notice it.

When my summers wore down, I changed to All Seasons (Vred. Quatrac Pro) and have had no issue with it since. I don't drive my car on the limit so I don't need the best, highest performing summer tyres on there. I'm happy with the best all-rounder. With 4matic, the C43 has great traction no matter what the conditions, which is important for a family car.

do you not find crabbing also shreds the front tyres? I’ve read people having to replace tyres after 8k and it’s because crabbing has destroyed the tyres.

Last edited by a moderator:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yep the A4/S4 is generation newer than the F30. The interior is much better in the S4 with VirtualCockpit and more modern design.

To get a matching or better interior from MB or BMW you need to buy much newer.

Associate
do you not find crabbing also shreds the front tyres? I’ve read people having to replace tyres after 8k and it’s because crabbing has destroyed the tyres.

You'd have to be driving around in circles for that to happen. It really is only during specific circumstances. When I had summer tyres on, I generally only saw it twice per day for a few seconds at a time - the first on the way into the work car park (a spiral entry into a multi-storey) and the second when reversing onto my drive from a tight angle. That was it. Under normal driving, it doesn't do it.

As mentioned, since I changed tyres, it hasn't been a problem.

Soldato
You'd have to be driving around in circles for that to happen. It really is only during specific circumstances. When I had summer tyres on, I generally only saw it twice per day for a few seconds at a time - the first on the way into the work car park (a spiral entry into a multi-storey) and the second when reversing onto my drive from a tight angle. That was it. Under normal driving, it doesn't do it.

As mentioned, since I changed tyres, it hasn't been a problem.
This.

Just a comfort issue. Don't really notice it when cycling through the gears and having a great time listening to the pops and bangs :p

Soldato

It happens at 2-3mph, most of the time when it's very cold outside and you're doing the first full lock of the day. After that, it's not so much of a drama. If people are shredding their tyres after 8k, I can guarantee that it's nothing to do with the crabbing and everything to do with their alignment and/or how they drive the car.

Caporegime
thanks bud.

I won’t be spending 30k on a 335d or 340i, it’ll be closer to £20-25 And to be honest you’re right, they do look outdated.
I like the look of the new 320i (g20) but it’s just a tad too slow for me. The M340i looks ideal but out of my budget. Maybe I should wait till September or next year for the M340i to come within my budget

I like the interiors of the Audi’s but the exterior (a4/s4/rs4) looks cheap compared to the BMWs and Mercedes.

How many miles are you expecting on tyres on a performance car weighing likely over 1.5t?

Soldato
It happens at 2-3mph, most of the time when it's very cold outside and you're doing the first full lock of the day. After that, it's not so much of a drama. If people are shredding their tyres after 8k, I can guarantee that it's nothing to do with the crabbing and everything to do with their alignment and/or how they drive the car.

I watched a Youtube video on this blaming RFT on the issue, is this not the case?

Back
Top Bottom