X570 Tomahawk or 3070 FE fault

Soldato
Got the spec in my sig and have a annoying problem with it.

When i first built it i could not get a signal to my monitor, had to change to PCI-E 3 to get it to work.

Not sure if this a fault with the mobo or GPU, or just a setting i have missed in bios.

Everything is running fine apart from the mentioned problem and was gonna give the new bios a try, but if i flash the bios it will go to Auto on the PCI-E so will likely get no signal again.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Soldato
OP
How did you get into the bios before to set pcie3 ?

Had to borrow a GT 1030 off my brother. Still have it, but will have to return it sometime.

Have you applied any manual voltage to your SOC?

I ask because too high on the SOC can cause issues with PCIe 4 devices and you have 32Gb of ram at 3600MHz.

Only thing i altered was XMP profile (and PCI-E 3). Are you suggesting setting manual volts or removing 2 sticks of RAM?

EDIT

Am using 2 x Crucial Ballistix 16GB kits (BL2K8G36C16U4BL)

Last edited:
Soldato
Had to borrow a GT 1030 off my brother. Still have it, but will have to return it sometime.

Only thing i altered was XMP profile (and PCI-E 3). Are you suggesting setting manual volts or removing 2 sticks of RAM?

OK, so as mentioned above the first time round when it was set to PCIe4 how did you get in to the BIOS to switch it to PCIe3?

Also are you on the latest BIOS? I assume not if you say there is a BIOS to flash.

---

OK, read above you borrowed a GPU.

I think it could be a BIOS issue. I remember people saying they had to flash the latest BIOS to get the 3000 series to work. So I would try that.

Regardless the latest BIOS will give you support for resize bar which is an up and coming feature soon to be turned on by Nvidia in a driver so sooner or later you will want to flash the bios anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OK, so as mentioned above the first time round when it was set to PCIe4 how did you get in to the BIOS to switch it to PCIe3?

Also are you on the latest BIOS? I assume not if you say there is a BIOS to flash.

Borrowed my brothers GPU. A new stable bios has just been released for my board.

Mite as well try bios update while you have a spare gpu.

Will try later on, but was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and if they fixed it.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Soldato
No, but have read this can cause the same problem.

I would try a bios with 1.2.0.0 AGESA then while you still have the spare GPU, is there one available for your board?

be sure to load optimised defaults and save after upgrading before doing anything else to properly finish the update. You can then go back and change the bios settings again.

Soldato
OP
I would try a bios with 1.2.0.0 AGESA then while you still have the spare GPU, is there one available for your board?

be sure to load optimised defaults and save after upgrading before doing anything else to properly finish the update. You can then go back and change the bios settings again.

Bios was released the other day. Will be sure to load optimised defaults.

Pcie4 and no siganal but can you hear windows start up ?

Did you try diffrent ports on the gpu for the monitor ?

Using all SSDs and never had speakers plugged in at the time. All case fans was spinning and RGB on the RAM was lit though.

Tried all ports on GPU and monitor with HDMI and DP cables.

CPU fan was working but can't remember about the GPU fans.

Soldato
OP
So bios is updated and still stuck on PCI-E 3.

What i did notice was The RGB on the RAM. I have Crucial MOD set to run at startup and the colour scheme i set did not load, suggesting that Windows did not work, also VGA led was lit. This was while trying PCI-E 4 and Auto.

On gen 3 all is working including my 980 PRO M.2 at full speed, so take it that is running off the chipset as that is still on Auto.

Soldato
OP
What about with the bios at total default, including no XMP enabled?

Could not find "Optimised Defaults" just "Restore Defaults". It did not work any way.

Am i right in thinking this is a fault with the CPU seeing as the PCI-E lanes for the GPU is built into the processor?

Soldato
Could not find "Optimised Defaults" just "Restore Defaults". It did not work any way.

Am i right in thinking this is a fault with the CPU seeing as the PCI-E lanes for the GPU is built into the processor?

Optimised defaults might just be a gigabyte thing. Defaults will be the same idea. I can’t see your sig on mobile, what’s the CPU?

To be honest it’s very weird, you are correct that the PCIe lanes from the GPU slot are based off the CPU rather than chipset but it’s bizarre that your 980 pro would work if there was a CPU issue as usually the first m.2 slot is also off the CPU lanes. Also obviously the chipset ultimately connects to the CPU lanes too so even if the m.2 isn’t directly connected it is by proxy.

I think this would be extremely hard to pin down to any one component without being able to test with a different CPU, different mobo different GPU.

I would actually lean towards dodgy mobo personally.

Soldato
OP
I can’t see your sig on mobile, what’s the CPU?

Ryzen 5800X, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32gb ddr4 @ 3600mhz, 980 Pro 1TB, MP510 960GB, RTX 3070 FE, EVGA 650w, Dell S2719DGF. Enthoo Pro M.

Drat. Was hoping it was just the CPU as that is easiest to swap out. Suppose its a starting point though.

Was thinking the 980 pro was reverting to using the chipset as the CPU lanes are not working properly.

It doesn't help that the motherboard reverts to PCI-E Auto as i have to swap out the GPU every time i restore/flash bios.

Back
Top Bottom