X570 Tomahawk or 3070 FE fault

Soldato
OP
Speaking of USB.

Wonder if that is why my keyboard is playing up?

Keys are randomly double typing or missing all together.

Taking ages to type anything out as i have to keep editing my messages. :p

Although been on PCI-E 3 has not solved this so maybe my keyboard is just knackered. :(

Associate
I had similar with my rtx 3070, changed the pci to gen 3 for my Ryzen 5600 everything was fine, dev auto wasn’t working with my x570 Tomahawk.

Bios update didnt fix the issue, only the above

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Update on this.

Just got a Ryzen 3 3100 (off MM) and the 3070 is now running at PCI-E 4 so looks like it was my CPU at fault all along.

Have checked for bent pins but all are ok.

Anyone know how long AMD take on RMA's? The place i got it from has none in stock so will probably have to be replaced by AMD direct.

EDIT

My keyboard was kaput as i also bought a Ducky one 2 mini of MM and works great. :)

Associate
Have you applied any manual voltage to your SOC?

I ask because too high on the SOC can cause issues with PCIe 4 devices and you have 32Gb of ram at 3600MHz.

Can having 32Gb of ram at 3600MHz cause a problem then, just asking because I will be building a new system soon around a Ryzen 5 5600x and was thinking of getting that spec of memory with a X570 Tomahawk

Soldato
Can having 32Gb of ram at 3600MHz cause a problem then, just asking because I will be building a new system soon around a Ryzen 5 5600x and was thinking of getting that spec of memory with a X570 Tomahawk

I think it's just harder to run that than 2 x 8Gb as it's more taxing on the integrated memory controller on the CPU die to have all 4 slots populated.

Soldato
OP

I think it's just harder to run that than 2 x 8Gb as it's more taxing on the integrated memory controller on the CPU die to have all 4 slots populated.

He says:
Am using 2 x Crucial Ballistix 16GB kits (BL2K8G36C16U4BL)

I am running 4 x 8gb sticks of RAM and they are fine.

They are single rank so that might be helping, not sure on this stuff to be honest and what works for me may not for you.

All i did was install all 4 sticks and enabled XMP and it worked.

Yes i tried running at stock and with only 2 sticks installed.

As i have said, it is all working with the Ryzen 3100.

Soldato
OP
Update time.

Having gotten nowhere at all with the retailer (website or phone), i decided to return it direct to AMD.

They was very fast at responding to the RMA claim and sent me a prepaid shipping label for DHL.

Fantastic i thought, at last i will get this sorted. That was until i checked the the tracking a couple of days later, to see a message saying to contact Customer Services. AMD did not send me some invoice to complete the shipping.

Now apparently they cannot locate the package and can i provide a description of the box i sent it in and the value of the contents.

Now at a loss as to who will replace the CPU if it does not get found.

:mad:

Soldato
freddie - really hope AMD are able to find your CPU and replace it for you

Interestingly I have a very similar issue - although its very random in my case

Tomahawk X570 wifi mobo (with latest bios set to PCIE 3/ Gen 3) , and occasionally I get no vga signal on boot even though my 6900XT is working fully.

A quick reboot usually solves it (I dont believe Windows is loading as no matter how long/ or not I leave it Windows never has to recover on the next successful boot) but still interesting. This is also via a fresh Windows install on a brand new drive.

I do have 4* 8gb installed@3200 on XMP profile - although it happened also without XMP being enabled as well (and also when PCIE 4/ Gen 4 was enabled before I read about the USB fix).

I have similar USB issues with my logitech wireless set not being responsive (believe this to be the well known AMD USB issue as its affecting a USB 4k br drive as well) , am keeping a close eye on the MSI website for the new AGEA BIOS to be released in the next few days.

Really hoping the new BIOS fixes both issues - the USB much more of a pain throughout my day to day by a long way (my keyboard stopped responding 2 or 3 times just typing this post)

Associate
setting mine to PCI GEN 3 has resolved all issues with the RTX 3070 card, hoping new bios and chipset drivers from AMD will resolve the PCI gen 4 issue. Out in April 21.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, it is DHL that can't find the Package.

As i said earlier in the thread, with the 5800X it would only work when set to gen 3. Even Auto would not work and had to use a GT1030 to get into the bios.

Once set to gen 3 everything work great. All 4 memory modules installed and running at 3600mhz and strangely the 980 Pro in the top slot running at gen 4 speed.

With the 3100, again everything is running as it should including the 3070 set at gen 4.

I have tried the Logitech keyboard on another PC and it still has problems, so don't think i have the USB issue.

On a side note. Looking on the web, a lot of people are having trouble with these type of keyboards when they are around the 2 year mark (just out of warranty).

Associate
Got the spec in my sig and have a annoying problem with it.

When i first built it i could not get a signal to my monitor, had to change to PCI-E 3 to get it to work.

Not sure if this a fault with the mobo or GPU, or just a setting i have missed in bios.

Everything is running fine apart from the mentioned problem and was gonna give the new bios a try, but if i flash the bios it will go to Auto on the PCI-E so will likely get no signal again.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

I had the same issue before updating the bios. But after the latest bios, it works fine for me

Soldato
OP
So DHL finally found my CPU and got a replacement from AMD.

Thought at first it was gonna be the same problem, blank screen and led lit on VGA.

Left it for a few minutes while i made a coffee and it sprang into life saying i had to enter bios.

Had to re enable XMP and made sure it was set for UEFI and PCI-E was on auto and everything is running great.

Took just short of 2 weeks to get it back from AMD once it got there and never cost anything, no shipping and no customs charge.

Safe to say i will not be shopping at this retailer again (purple shirt brigade).

:)

Back
Top Bottom