Children and teens cannot understand the consequences of transitioning

Caporegime
For those in favour, what is the rationale for applying it to sex and only sex? Why not other things as well? For example, why can't I declare myself to be 67 and get an old age pension?

And yes, I am serious. The whole idea is that biology is defined by decree and not by biology. So why does that idea only apply to a person's sex?

Which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans.

I'm declaring myself the king in the north.

Soldato
For those in favour, what is the rationale for applying it to sex and only sex? Why not other things as well? For example, why can't I declare myself to be 67 and get an old age pension?

And yes, I am serious. The whole idea is that biology is defined by decree and not by biology. So why does that idea only apply to a person's sex?

I don't see how such a simplistic statement can be applied to such a complicated issue. I'd be interested in learning which medical qualifications enable you to make these decisions for people?

Caporegime
Because gender is complex.

We are locked biologically to 2 (usually) very distinct parts.
And culturally, those two binary choices still have a lot of attributes attached to them

As we move into this new world I can however see the argument for having to pay for certain NHS services. But where do you draw the line?

Someone getting drunk and needing hospitalisation ? That's a choice too.
Someone going climbing and falling.
Etc.
You could say 'gender' isn't life threatening, but what if it's impacting mental health?
Obviously mental health is a very hot topic.

As we continue down this path I'm sure the NHS will end up fully private. It's too expensive and more is getting added and it will be impossible to say X is free and Y is not.

Soldato
Just like how 50 years ago Gay people weren’t a real thing, and now there’s loads of Gay kids running around thinking they are Gay?! What ever next?!?!? Marrying my pet cat?! It’ll be pedophile rights in 2030 and mark my words Marjorie , it’ll be illegal to be straight!
I hope you are being sarcastic because you cant honestly believe gay people didn't exist 50 years ago.

Soldato
Ah yes, the good old appeal to “nature” and complete misrepresentation of what I said. Can totally see you are serious about having this conversation and understanding the issues rather than just using this thread to make yourself feel like a big man by bashing trans people.
OCUK has quite a few ignorant homophobic and transphobic individuals that are happy to shout it from the roof tops. Riled on from the fact that they know they will never be banned. Pretty toxic community in some regards.

Soldato
OCUK has quite a few ignorant homophobic and transphobic individuals that are happy to shout it from the roof tops. Riled on from the fact that they know they will never be banned. Pretty toxic community in some regards.

Agreed. It’s a safe heaven for the far right to masquerade as civil.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Has anyone called anyone else Hitler or a nazi in this thread yet? If not, it sounds like it's coming.

Agreed. It’s a safe heaven for the far right to masquerade as civil.

Someone who doesn't agree with your opinion =/= far right. But that's an easy way to misrepresent them in an attempt to win an argument. Come on, that's soooo 2010s.

Permabanned
I think the limit should be 18 AND when the patient can afford to do it themselves.

If someone was 5'1 and wished, nay, believed that inside they were really 6'1 but needed surgery, you'd rightly think they were just a bit nuts

16 is just too late. By that age there are irreversible changes, especially to the male body. For a person that truly wants to transition you have probably consigned them to a living hell for the rest of their lives.

Call them nuts if you like, but so what if they are? The point of the NHS is to help people be better, to help fix things. It's not limited to physical wellness. If we can take a single person and make them completely functional in society then that's a good thing isn't it? If that takes sewing an antenna to their head then so be it. Honestly, I don't see why it bothers you what people want or need to make their lives happy. If you have ever met a trans person ( and I have met loads ) then fundamentally they are often shattered people. Their insides are screaming that they are not what they appear to be, and it kills them. It is an enormous deal to them. No, of course the average person can't even comprehend that, but when they successfully transition, the black and white world suddenly becomes glorious colour, and everyone can see that ( if they take the time to look). I am all in favour of giving people what they need if it makes them happy, productive people! Of course there must be experts involved and of course we must be sure it is really what they need and of course we don't want to waste money on people who don't need it. But those fears shouldn't stop us giving the majority a happy restart in life.

Soldato
16 is just too late. By that age there are irreversible changes, especially to the male body. For a person that truly wants to transition you have probably consigned them to a living hell for the rest of their lives.

Call them nuts if you like, but so what if they are? The point of the NHS is to help people be better, to help fix things. It's not limited to physical wellness. If we can take a single person and make them completely functional in society then that's a good thing isn't it? If that takes sewing an antenna to their head then so be it. Honestly, I don't see why it bothers you what people want or need to make their lives happy. If you have ever met a trans person ( and I have met loads ) then fundamentally they are often shattered people. Their insides are screaming that they are not what they appear to be, and it kills them. It is an enormous deal to them. No, of course the average person can't even comprehend that, but when they successfully transition, the black and white world suddenly becomes glorious colour, and everyone can see that ( if they take the time to look). I am all in favour of giving people what they need if it makes them happy, productive people! Of course there must be experts involved and of course we must be sure it is really what they need and of course we don't want to waste money on people who don't need it. But those fears shouldn't stop us giving the majority a happy restart in life.

I think the objectors just lack empathy. I suppose that's not their fault.

Soldato
I wouldn't mind having the body of a female for a few days. Just to try and see what it's like.

The above is what many kids think / feel. They then get egged on by society to actually do it, stuff the life long consequences.

I'm happy with my man thing, I get to shove it inside a woman's thing. It's great fun.

Man of Honour
I don't see how such a simplistic statement can be applied to such a complicated issue. I'd be interested in learning which medical qualifications enable you to make these decisions for people?

I'm interested in the fact that you can't even try to rationalise the utter inconsistency in the position and therefore have to try to deflect, lie and denigrate to draw attention away from your inability to even attempt to rationalise the inconsistency in the position you wish to have imposed on everyone. I'm not surprised. But I am interested.

Man of Honour
Because gender is complex.

We are locked biologically to 2 (usually) very distinct parts.
And culturally, those two binary choices still have a lot of attributes attached to them [..]

True, but irrelevant. The issue isn't gender. It's sex. The position advocates seek to impose on everyone isn't that every person should be free to occupy any position they want on each and every one of the many millions of gender spectrums. The position advocates seek to impose on everyone isn't that all social constructs of gender should cease to exist and any that are innate should be treated as the trends that they are and thus never applied to any individual. No. Those are my positions, not theirs.

The position advocates seek to impose on everyone is as follows:

i) Biology is defined by decree and not by biology. Of course this makes no sense, but since when did politics have to make sense? You must obey.
ii) A person can only make that decree once. Of course this also makes no sense and is inconsistent with itself, but remember the key point of the position - you must obey.
iii) The above applies to sex and only to sex. There is no explanation why this is the case and even asking for one is forbidden. You must obey.
iv) It's perfectly fine to brainwash children into it. Not surprising, since any authoritarian ideology targets children precisely because children are more malleable. They can more easily be made to obey and to become devout believers.

Soldato
I'm interested in the fact that you can't even try to rationalise the utter inconsistency in the position and therefore have to try to deflect, lie and denigrate to draw attention away from your inability to even attempt to rationalise the inconsistency in the position you wish to have imposed on everyone. I'm not surprised. But I am interested.

Fine. We have the ability to - for all intents and purposes - change someone's sex. OK it may not be the sex with which they're born, but it certainly would enable them to live as the gender that they believe they are.

You can declare yourself 67 if you want. The government wouldn't accept that. They would, however, accept your change of sex. Particularly if you've been through a whole raft of treatments including the changing of your sexual organs.

What I can't comprehend is why you take this issue so personally. If you felt you were in the wrong body, you'd probably do everything in your power to change it. As others have stated, why should the minority of the regretful speak for a whole group of individuals?

Soldato
True, but irrelevant. The issue isn't gender. It's sex. The position advocates seek to impose on everyone isn't that every person should be free to occupy any position they want on each and every one of the many millions of gender spectrums. The position advocates seek to impose on everyone isn't that all social constructs of gender should cease to exist and any that are innate should be treated as the trends that they are and thus never applied to any individual. No. Those are my positions, not theirs.

The position advocates seek to impose on everyone is as follows:

i) Biology is defined by decree and not by biology. Of course this makes no sense, but since when did politics have to make sense? You must obey.
ii) A person can only make that decree once. Of course this also makes no sense and is inconsistent with itself, but remember the key point of the position - you must obey.
iii) The above applies to sex and only to sex. There is no explanation why this is the case and even asking for one is forbidden. You must obey.
iv) It's perfectly fine to brainwash children into it. Not surprising, since any authoritarian ideology targets children precisely because children are more malleable. They can more easily be made to obey and to become devout believers.

They're not imposing anything on anyone! At worst, they're asking you to call them by a different name and use a different set of pronouns. It's not exactly difficult.

Back
Top Bottom