Building a kick arse VR Flight Sim setup... Help please..

Associate
DCS can get very expensive very quickly. You can try it out if you download DCS world you get a P-51trainer and an SU-25 Frogfoot mud mover jet. Both sims are great in VR and their forums are full of helpful people. Check out youtube.

Soldato
Very quick thoughts - Nothing is overkill for flight sims in VR. Even the best equipment money can buy can’t come close to maxing them out at 90hz.

I’d go with x570 and a 5000 series Zen3 rather than intel currently, availability is slowly starting to sort itself out and should continue to improve through the month.

Don’t get a cosmos. Universally regarded as utter pap. Quest 2, Reverb G2 or Valve Index depending on budget/preference.

Don't get AMD if you are planning on getting a reverb G2, all of the "waaaah it won't work" threads on Reddit are AMD users, apparently most x570 boards don't run USB to spec and the headset won't even connect

Edit; oops, just realised i am too late

Associate
For controllers for MSFS you might want to look at the
Honeycomb Alpha Flight Yoke and the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

I have the Yoke at present and it makes a huge difference in flying general aviation
For pedals I have the Saitek Pro Flight Pedals

Associate
OP
DCS can get very expensive very quickly. You can try it out if you download DCS world you get a P-51trainer and an SU-25 Frogfoot mud mover jet. Both sims are great in VR and their forums are full of helpful people. Check out youtube.

Too late….

In for about $400 so far…. :rolleyes: DCS is running at around 90-100fps at High settings and 5120x1440 resolution. MSFS2020 is running at the same res at around the 60-80fps in Ultra settings.

On the upside I am loving learning to fly and fight the F/A-18C and looking forward to the Spitfire in VR if I can get the headset to work of course….

Associate
I found that my CV1 wasnt good enough to read the HUD and some of the switches so I am waiting for my 3090 to arrive and then set up the Reverb. Cant wait to do a Tomcat launch on the supercarrier.

Associate
Unfortunately the framerate is awful on parts of the supercarrier, like 27fps in VR. Hopefully the multi threaded version later this year will sort it

Associate
OP
Having a nightmare getting my brand new G2 to connect to my AMD motherboard. There’s an outstanding USB bug which means it’s almost impossible to get the sodding thing to connect.

I’ve managed to get it running about three times this afternoon and when it does the graphical acuity and clarity is superb. The experience of flying a Spitfire in VR over Southern England was an epiphany..genuinely jaw dropping. You even hear the wind in one ear if your head position is near the slipstream with the canopy open..incredible… Dog fighting and being able to visually follow the target while manoeuvring is game changing.

I just HOPE that AMD get this USB bug sorted or they will be getting a LOT of returns from AMD motherboard owners….

Soldato
You tried all ports? For me the only one that works is the USB C one on the back...

Also disable PCIe 4.0 and force everything to gen 3 in bios until AMD pull their finger out.

You can try a powered USB hub in the meantime if no joy.

Also, I told you so :D

Associate
OP
I know but it was purchased and built by then! To be fair, when they get this sorted, I’d still rather have the AMD setup as it appears to be much quicker. I gather from Reddit that AMD have a working solution on their reference boards.. they just need to push it out now.

Soldato
Yeah I’m not convinced by that given the recent outreach on the USB issues on the AMD Reddit.... doesn’t fill me with confidence that they have identified the problems if they are only now asking for configuration info and more details from people.

Im fairly confident it will get sorted, but I wouldn’t want to guess at a timeline.

Do try PCIe 3.0 though, it really helps usb stability. Only a temporary workaround, I know it’s not a solution.

Associate
What is your CPU? I am running a 8086K @ 5Ghz and 32 Gb ram

i9-10900k at 5Ghz. Do a Hornet cold start, and the framerate will be rubbish, until you taxi to the catapault. Pretty much as soon as you turn right to do that, the framerate is back to normal. Framerate also drops on landing, so I stay away from the supercarrier at the mo. The landing officer, and IFLOS popup, work on all carriers once you have the supercarrier, and those are the main things from it for me. Although its quite novel doing the taxi, and launch on the supercarrier.

Associate
OP
I’m running a Ryzen 9 5900x and an RTX 3080… I had a long play with various settings, and suggested setups from the VR4DCS website yesterday AMD now have it running smoothly with about 50fps in full res on the headset.

I’ve set the motherboard to Gen3 on all PCIe channels for the moment, and one of the USB ports on the back seems to work okay so it is working. MSFS2020 is absolutely mind blowing.. I’ve been pottering around the highlands in the Cub and the graphics are incredible. I just need to sort out some input issues in VR rather than fumbling around for the keyboard…

Anyone have any experience with Captogloves…?

Back
Top Bottom