Luxury car for £6000...

NVP

NVP

Soldato
You got a face-lift L322 for under 6k?! What was the mileage? Decent catch there buddy, lovely cars and the updated interior and dash really help the old girl stay hip :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments guys. So far, it drives really well and you wouldn't believe its a car that's done nearly 185k miles. In the next 3 months, I intend to fix a couple of issues I already knew about and give the thing a full service.

Small issues, which the guy in Reading told me about before I ventured down (he sent me a very detailed video walkaround):
  • Lower tailgate straps have corroded and snapped - £15 eBay
  • Nearside wing mirror surround has been glued on (poorly) - £10 eBay
  • Bonnet struts don't stay extended - £12 eBay
  • Tailgate trim has a couple of missing clips - £5 on eBay for a load
  • Start/Stop Engine button is worn and some of the text is missing - £30 eBay
  • Tyres to be replaced in the next 3 months - £650 for Pirelli Scorpions
  • Full service, oils, fluids and filters (inc. diff, transfer and trans)
  • Although not necessary, I may refurb the wheels
Other than that, I will either service it myself or get my pal to do it. He is a very competent mechanic and very reasonable. Before setting up on his own, he worked for Pro-Drive where he was one of Colin McCrae's personal technicians and travelled the world. He has a world map with his passes for each of the stages, it's very impressive... but not anywhere near as impressive as his completely rebuilt E30 M3 featuring a tonne of custom Pro-Drive components.

Anyway, I will keep you updated and I am very happy with the purchase. It was filthy when I got it and I was able to make a note of all of the marks and dings (which were minimal for the age and mileage). It seems it was a motorway vehicle and I am assuming that's why it has such high mileage, yet very little wear to the interior. It came with no history other than the original manuals and fully stamped service book. I spent the day cleaning it inside and out and polishing it by hand. I have a DA buffer and will give it a full cut and polish, including wax protection... when the weather permits. I have also purchased a touch-up pen for the little marks that won't buff out. But, overall, it's an incredible car, a lovely drive, the inside is such a nice place to be (especially with the leather headlining) and to say I paid £6150 and it was £80k new, is just mental! Some depreciation, eh?

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a reason cars like this depreciate so quickly. If something big breaks it is still 80k car prices.

Look at some of the "limo" type saloon cars, the depreciation is nuts. Some of the Bentleys will lose house money in 6-7 years.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
I would budget more than £2k per year for maintainance.

Agreed. My friend fell into this trap and bought a lovely vogue 2002 for £6k. It looked mint and drove well.

Every month something broke like the suspension or water pump. He was getting work done by a local 4x4 one man band ex landrover and even with that he spent £8k on 8 months on it before selling it on as he couldnt afford to run it anymore.

Soldato
Agreed. My friend fell into this trap and bought a lovely vogue 2002 for £6k. It looked mint and drove well.

Every month something broke like the suspension or water pump. He was getting work done by a local 4x4 one man band ex landrover and even with that he spent £8k on 8 months on it before selling it on as he couldnt afford to run it anymore.
£8k? christ almighty, stuff that, I'd expect that on a Lambo or Ferrari not a RR lol

Man of Honour
£8k? christ almighty, stuff that, I'd expect that on a Lambo or Ferrari not a RR lol

Bigger 4WD capable vehicles like this tend to get expensive as they get older though you have to be a bit unlucky to spend 8K in less than a year but 2K a year aside from normal running cost isn't unusual. Once you get past ~100K miles or so you are on borrowed time for a lot of stuff.

At these kind of prices you gotta be prepared to run it into the ground and walk away once the bills are outside 100s.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
A nice honest advert description. They certainly prime the potential buyer for all the potential anguish that they will soon come to face.
Their cars are what they are, i detailed it further back in this thread but they are not necessarily bad. They'll all fit into the categories mentioned. The description there is just to weed people out who dont understand what it is that they sell.

Soldato
Doug Demuro did a few videos about a RR he had at the time and how much repairs (under warranty) were costing. Its a lot lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom