Luxury car for £6000...

Associate
Hi guys,

Ever since the issues I had in October with a specific car and seller, I have had my eye on several luxury cars that suit my budget. A friend of work has an L322 07 Vogue SE and I have fallen in love with it. It is very well styled, comfy, practical and still very current when seen on the road. It gave me the urge to start looking at some and in December I went to see a few. But, after seeing a few dogs, advertised as mint I have had no success and have walked away from many. However, I have recently found one that is absolutely perfect, well-advertised and ticks all of the boxes. After seeing it, I am set on buying it and have agreed on a price with the seller.

My question is before I book my one-way train ticket to collect it, should I be looking at any other cars? I have discounted Cayennes, XC90's, X5's, ML's and Q7's.

The TDV8 MY08 Vogue SE I have seen comes with 138k, full documented service history, stacks of receipts and work carried out, well cared for and never failed an MOT. The advisories have all been minor and have receipts to show these have always been rectified. I understand the cost of running a Range Rover is significantly different from that of a Citroen or a BMW. But, that is fine and I won't be running this vehicle on a shoestring.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Depreciation doesn't mean disaster. As I said, I am well aware of the things that can and do go wrong on these vehicles and the bills you are presented with when maintaining them. That wasn't the questions and as such the responses aren't warranted. But, to be honest, these are the sort of responses I expected. I have a 1995 850 T5 with 70,000 miles on it and never misses a beat, a 2001 Audi TT 225 with 95k, FSH and cost me £900 and *touch wood* has never let me down and a 2016 Ford Focus. The question was, what else should I consider in my budget?... not "is this a good idea?".

Associate
OP
Never purchase a car from a friend.[/QUOTE]

I'll check out these ads, thanks. The car isn't from a friend, he owns one and has talked me through the ownership costs etc. In 5 years he's only had the alternator and tyre pressure sensors go. Other than annual servicing and brake pads; he hasn't paid for anything else

Associate
OP
This is a tough one. This is one of these and I've nearly fallen into that same path. You can buy a V10 M5 for £15k... but that is an £80k car new and will have £80k maintenence costs so all those cars are now running crappy cheap tyres, not been maintained and you wouldn't touch them. The problem I think you'll have with all due respect is, £6k on a luxery car is nothing... and the Range Rover is one of the most expensive and unreliable cars you can buy.

So, I think the question is... do you have £2k in year maintence minimum you are willing to spend and also the fuel, tax and insurance on top. If you want a cheaper luxery car, and are prepared to pay for the premium running costs then you're ok. However, I'm slightly with the otehr son here that if you have a £6k budget on al luxery car, I'm not convinced you can afford to own that luxery car. You have chosen there one of the cheap luxery cars that is a money pit. Ask anyone who knows anything about cars, they're one of the most unreliable manfactorers and costs are HIGH.

I'm not dissing what you want... just be prepared is all and do NOT expect it to be like running a Honda i.e. zero maintenence costs lol.

100% agree with every point you make. I'm a bit of a funny bugger... I saved and paid £15k for my focus, as well as buying my two older cars. But, I don't want to fork out anymore than £6k. I couldn't justify it. I've got enough cars as it is, however, and I appreciate it's a false economy, but yes, I can afford £2-3000 a year in running costs.

Associate
OP
An ancient, high mileage, £6k luxury SUV, especially a Range Rover is highly likely to frequently throw eye-watering bills at you. Ask yourself if you can really be bothered with that, time and time again? The L322 has an absolutely appalling reliability record. It is on another planet - nay - another GALAXY to the cars you've mentioned above!

Many people who choose to run these sort of cars can do a lot of the spannering themselves to reduce the costs. Are you able to do any work yourself?

What about a Lexus?

I hear you. I'm not shy to working on cars myself and often do bits myself. Also, as mentioned I have other vehicles I can use, should it be sat on the driveway for a week or so. The 2008 Vogue is priced fairly at £6000 considering the market average is anywhere between £3500 - £8000, mileage dependant.

I never thought about the Lexus, I'll take a look now.

Associate
OP
There's exceptions to every rule, but overall the TDV8 is highly unlikely to be as reliable as the 4.2 SC, particularly if it's done a lot of short journeys. I'd understand if you were comparing the TDV8 and the 5.0 SC as they have their fair share of issues too, but if you've got a relatively low budget and you're looking at an older vehicle, the 4.2 is the way to go.
Struggling to find any for sale. The ones I've seen have been overpriced at £8000.

Associate
OP
It’s your money, but personally I’d wait and see if a cheaper SC one comes up, or pay the extra. As you can see from the comments on this thread, I’m more open to running cars like this than most people, but even I would think twice about buying a diesel model.

Just out of curiosity, what are we saying is the issue with the TDV8? I appreciate your feedback and comments. But, it appears other people just say, it's a money pit or the TDV8 isnt a choice they'd make... With no facts backing up said statement. My uncles, boss', plumber had one and it was really unreliable.

Associate
OP
Well, if you're determined for the RR, for me, this would be one I'd be looking at and 100% not the diesel... 82k miles, only 2 owners which is good... it's nice and fast... being a proper engine and all... luxury inside like you wanted, looks expensive... surely this is what you would want judging by your original post? Ok, MOT says a few problems, but you can check it out, haggle and ensure that's it's not a dud... but it's ticking boxes you wanted surely?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101278422245?advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&make=LAND ROVER&sort=mileage&postcode=ch87qg&include-delivery-option=on&fuel-type=Petrol&maximum-mileage=90000&model=RANGE ROVER&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&price-to=6500&page=1

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

Date tested 3 March 2020
Pass

View test certificate
Mileage 81,744 miles
MOT test number 4843 6319 2325
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 23 March 2021
Date tested 27 February 2019
Pass

View test certificate
Mileage 72,675 miles
MOT test number 4406 8632 1499
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 23 March 2020
The MOT test changed on 20 May 2018
Defects are now categorised according to their severity – dangerous, major, and minor. Find out more

Date tested 24 March 2018
Pass
Mileage 67,549 miles
MOT test number 7800 7548 4229
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 23 March 2019
Date tested 6 March 2017
Pass
Mileage 63,955 miles
MOT test number 1538 4084 0500
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 5 March 2018
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)
  • both front caster arm inner bushes have slight play
  • fuel cap seal cracked but still sealing
  • near side front tyre is damaged on both sidewalls
  • engine covers and under drays fitted obscuring some components
  • near side body paintwork contaminated with foreign paint
  • coolant low
  • offside and near side step has slight damage
What are advisories?
Date tested 24 February 2016
Pass
Mileage 63,309 miles
MOT test number 4660 2837 5777
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 23 February 2017
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)
  • Intermittent suspension warning message on dash
  • Both front caster arm inner bushes have slight play
  • Fuel cap seal cracked but still sealing
  • Nearside reverse light cover missing
  • Nearside front tyre is damaged on both sidewalls
  • Nearsie rear, offside rear and offside front all have sidewall damage
  • Engine covers and under trays fitted obscuring some components
  • Oil leak
What are advisories?
Date tested 14 October 2014
Pass
Mileage 61,959 miles
MOT test number 5564 7738 4205
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 13 October 2015
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Nearside rear tyre cut in outer sidewall
What are advisories?
Date tested 13 October 2014
Fail
Mileage 69,958 miles
MOT test number 4666 2698 4272
Test location

View test location
Reason(s) for failure
  • Offside Front Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (4.1.D.1f)
  • Nearside Rear Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (4.1.D.1f)
  • Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Nearside rear tyre cut in outer sidewall
What are failures and advisories?
Date tested 3 July 2012
Pass
Mileage 54,973 miles
MOT test number 3794 1578 2154
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 28 July 2013
Date tested 2 July 2012
Fail
Mileage 54,973 miles
MOT test number 5474 9458 2185
Test location

View test location
Reason(s) for failure
  • Nearside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)
What are failures?
Date tested 6 July 2011
Pass
Mileage 50,778 miles
MOT test number 8488 2798 1197
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 28 July 2012
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
  • offside front tyre worn on inner edge
What are advisories?
Date tested 29 July 2010
Pass
Mileage 45,390 miles
MOT test number 3445 5081 0242
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 28 July 2011
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
  • Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
What are advisories?
Date tested 21 July 2009
Pass
Mileage 40,256 miles
MOT test number 6147 8210 9259
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 22 July 2010
Date tested 3 July 2008
Pass
Mileage 33,423 miles
MOT test number 7612 6578 8103
Test location

View test location
Expiry date 22 July 2009
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
What are advisories?

To me this looks tatty and like it hasn't been cared for. But I could be wrong, I often am.

Associate
OP
Turbo failure, injector issues, EGR issues. Turbos alone are a 20hr job IIRC and seem to be a pretty common failure. I’ve heard of head gasket issues as well but I’m not sure how common those actually are.

Compare that to the 4.2 SC engine which I’ve put easily 100k on over 3 different cars with no issues whatsoever. My dad also has a Jag with that engine, no issues there either. It’s simply not as complex an engine as the TDV8.
Consider me told.

Associate
OP
Question to OP. Are you only considering 4x4's i.e. Rangies or, would you consider saloons? if we're literally focused on Range Rovers, then you simply just have to find a minter and make your mind up tbh. Set your budget, of you trundle?
I'll be honest, I want an SUV, that is truly a 4x4. So thinks like vauxhall mokkas and qashqais are out of the question. I don't want a range rover sport, but would consider a discovery 3. However, my favourite is the Full Fat RR vogue. The vogue SE I linked earlier is in London, so 200 miles from me. I've had a video call with the seller and he's sent me videos and photos of every angle of the car, including every receipt and each page in the service book. The engine has been maintained regardless of the cost and the receipts show premium products have been used with no expense spared. It has new pirelli tyres all around and several major components changed at some point in its life. Importantly, it's had the gearbox serviced.

Associate
OP
Which is the problem.

There are no mint 6k Range Rovers. If a Range Rover is mint it costs more than 6k. Instead you just get older higher mileage multi owner cars or badly modified stuff etc. This is the bottom of the market.
Tosh. You can buy them on eBay, in condition as you've described for £3000-£5000. The average price on autotrader and eBay for an 06 - 09 Vogue is £6500. High mileage doesn't mean it's not mint... I have had 10 year old cars with 30k and they were dog rough and I've had 25 year old cars with 170k and they were minters.

Associate
OP
have you considered a Land Cruiser?
Yeh, I looked at most SUVs and other than the XC90 and range rover, I'm not a fan of their looks or design.
Sounds like decision made, will you go down and drive yourself or take a punt you think and just get it shipped to you?
I will get the train and test drive and plug it in to my diagnostic machine. Check it all over etc.

Back
Top Bottom