The Cyclops

Permabanned
As the myth says, they have the ability to see their own death.

Given a choice, would you prefer to know when you are going to die? Or not?

Capodecina
Soldato
I had a very vivid dream, as my future self/spirit, that I had burned to death around aged 60. Sounds like a horrible way to go. I hope it's not true.

As for would I like to know when I'm going to die? Maybe. I would possibly live a fuller life until then.

How I'm going to die? No. I wouldn't want to know that. Given that a lot of this is pre-ordained, and we don't have a say in it, we can't change it. But I'd rather not know.

Caporegime
How I'm going to die? No. I wouldn't want to know that. Given that a lot of this is pre-ordained, and we don't have a say in it, we can't change it. But I'd rather not know.
I enjoy how you constructed this post, the 'Given that ...' opening of the 4th sentence being deliciously chosen to annoy. B+, would raise an eyebrow again.

Soldato
Surely if you could see the future, you'd change it and it would no longer be the future. So the whole power is pointless.

Associate
If it was a carry on as you are but you can change it then perhaps. Maybe I would do more exercise. But if it's how and when no matter what you do then I wouldnt like that.

Man of Honour
Surely if you could see the future, you'd change it and it would no longer be the future. So the whole power is pointless.

On the contrary, that's the scenario in which the power is most useful because it would save your life.

The usual scenario is that you can't do anything to stop it happening. Which requires the assumption that nobody can do anything about anything, ever. That everything in the universe, including all of us, is just a sim being run by some higher power. That we don't have any minds at all, we're just programmed with the delusion that we do. Even then, it's a rather silly idea. Say, for example, you know that you'll be killed in a freak accident in a specific location in Central Park, New York at 14:39 on 14/08/2027 when a dead bird falls out of the sky and hits you in exactly the wrong way. Would you willingly go there and be killed in that way?

Soldato
Say, for example, you know that you'll be killed in a freak accident in a specific location in Central Park, New York at 14:39 on 14/08/2027 when a dead bird falls out of the sky and hits you in exactly the wrong way. Would you willingly go there and be killed in that way?

I'd chuck myself off a cliff the day before. In your FACE, fate.

Soldato

Not if that future is created from your choices made from knowing the future, basically you're a passenger and your choices were made when the universe was created (possibly before it was created) the ability to know the future is needed to give that final result

But I guess it all boils to down to what rules the universe works by, are choices random or are they engineered from beginning of time

Associate
Say, for example, you know that you'll be killed in a freak accident in a specific location in Central Park, New York at 14:39 on 14/08/2027 when a dead bird falls out of the sky and hits you in exactly the wrong way. Would you willingly go there and be killed in that way?

I'd chuck myself off a cliff the day before. In your FACE, fate.
You'd end up surviving the fall, and being rushed to hospital. Somewhere along the way, they'd decide the unique injury you sustained could only be solved by Dr.Brooklyn, living in you guessed it...New York. Your ambulance breaks down just a few short blocks from the hospital, and your vitals start declining. The paramedics decide you're so close to the hospital they can rush you there on the stretcher...straight through Central Park happens to be the quickest route...you watch on in utter panic, oxygen mask stifling your screams to stop...

257 feet up, an aged pidegon takes it's last breath, plummeting to the ground as a harbinger of doom ready to join your destinies together once and for all...

Soldato
You'd end up surviving the fall, and being rushed to hospital. Somewhere along the way, they'd decide the unique injury you sustained could only be solved by Dr.Brooklyn, living in you guessed it...New York. Your ambulance breaks down just a few short blocks from the hospital, and your vitals start declining. The paramedics decide you're so close to the hospital they can rush you there on the stretcher...straight through Central Park happens to be the quickest route...you watch on in utter panic, oxygen mask stifling your screams to stop...

257 feet up, an aged pidegon takes it's last breath, plummeting to the ground as a harbinger of doom ready to join your destinies together once and for all...

*hits trampoline which was carelessly dumped at the bottom of cliff and bounces back to top*

Associate
No, but I suspect it will be sometime before I'm 70, so I've got a maximum 31 years to go.

What I do know, though, is I have a management position reserved in Hell for me. Christ (yes, I get it!), I might even be PA to Satan himself..... :D

Back
Top Bottom