• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Soldato
Been out the PC hardware game for about 12 months dealing with stuff. Came back to upgrade.
..eh.... where is everything? Cant find 12 core chips anywhere and im seeing inflated prices of others. No GPUs either?

The world has gone mental... At least that 'explains' the GPU side of things (mining + lockdown demand), on the CPU side it's a bit of lockdown demand and AMD mostly using the capacity at TSMC on consoles for now...

Soldato
The world has gone mental... At least that 'explains' the GPU side of things (mining + lockdown demand), on the CPU side it's a bit of lockdown demand and AMD mostly using the capacity at TSMC on consoles for now...
Wow. sucks to be a PC enthusiast then. Might just jump ship to Stadia or similar. Going to happen eventually.

Soldato
Remember when EVERYONE said netflix was stupid and online streaming for movies would NEVER happen?

Personal enthusiast hardware will die in the next decade. 100%. It's a certainty.

Nah, anyone that said that about Netflix was silly, limited bandwidth is all that would have hindered Netflix and that increasing was, and still is, inevitable.

Cloud gaming needs decreased latency. Physics says no. Simples. :p

Soldato
Nah, anyone that said that about Netflix was silly, limited bandwidth is all that would have hindered Netflix and that increasing was, and still is, inevitable.

except 99% of gamers (console and PC together) dont care about 5ms vs 15ms. Its going to happen, and when it does there will be no market for companies to make consumer hardware. It will all be server farm hardware.

Soldato
except 99% of gamers (console and PC together) dont care about 5ms vs 15ms. Its going to happen, and when it does there will be no market for companies to make consumer hardware. It will all be server farm hardware.

I could believe that of console peasants (sorry, couldn't help myself :D) but I'd imagine most PC games do 'care'... I could see consoles becoming more like 'thin clients' but I expect the PC gaming market to survive, especially as although the physical cards are different the chips don't need to be between the server farms and gaming GPUs.

Also, a 10ms difference? If you're lucky... My ping to a server in Bristol (~35 miles away) is 9ms, that's basic ICMP packet with no data processing involved. Make that a more centralised datacenter (probably in another country) and extra overhead, oh and the depressingly large number of people that consider WiFi acceptable... :p We're probably talking more like a 30+ figure...

Soldato
I could believe that of console peasants (sorry, couldn't help myself :D) but I'd imagine most PC games do 'care'... I could see consoles becoming more like 'thin clients' but I expect the PC gaming market to survive, especially as although the physical cards are different the chips don't need to be between the server farms and gaming GPUs.

Also, a 10ms difference? If you're lucky... My ping to a server in Bristol (~35 miles away) is 9ms, that's basic ICMP packet with no data processing involved. Make that a more centralised datacenter (probably in another country) and extra overhead, oh and the depressingly large number of people that consider WiFi acceptable... :p We're probably talking more like a 30+ figure...
But you are happy playing online games yes? with other people? held on other servers? This latency is acceptable?

Soldato
But you are happy playing online games yes? with other people? held on other servers? This latency is acceptable?

The issue with cloud gaming is the input latency... e.g. time from when I click my mouse button to that registering and the result being passed back and displayed. You're taking the existing 'path' for doing this and adding 30+ms to it.

Sure, for many games this wouldn't actually be a problem but things like FPS ('fast twitch' ones at least) and racing games/sims are very sensitive to this...

It is not at all the same as playing a game online. Even then latency is very important, the difference betwen playing a racing sim on a Germany based datacentre vs East-coast US is significant.

Associate

Well, no. Cloud is getting closer to the edge of the network to deal with that. Service providers are putting content and computes nearer and nearer to the consumers. Cloyd will be in every exchange. in every street. on every mast.

Soldato
Well, no. Cloud is getting closer to the edge of the network to deal with that. Service providers are putting content and computes nearer and nearer to the consumers. Cloyd will be in every exchange. in every street. on every mast.

You think there is going to be 'gaming rigs', plural, in every exchange? Are they gonna be shared or are there gonna be Stadia, GeForce Now, Playstation etc rigs, hundreds of thousands of them dotted all over the world? Really?

Edge computing is a thing, sure, but thats not the same as cloud gaming...

Associate
Yes. There will be hundreds of thousands of these cloud edge points all over the world. Yes, in every exchange. As compute gets even more powerful, and gpu processing even gets virtualised to generic silicon, it will get even more distributed.

This isn't tomorrow, this year or even this decade. But it is inevitable.

Soldato
Yes. There will be hundreds of thousands of these cloud edge points all over the world. Yes, in every exchange. As compute gets even more powerful, and gpu processing even gets virtualised to generic silicon, it will get even more distributed.

This isn't tomorrow, this year or even this decade. But it is inevitable.

That would only work if games development and advancement stopped today surely?

I mean sure today you can render Crysis on purely CPU at something approaching playability, but that's not a great experience in a 14 year old game on a modern processor, like 64-core Threadripper (which is what 280W), these 'edge compute' nodes will be more like 10W, maybe 20W, max. So I guess in a decade or two we can use cloud gaming to get not-quite-slideshow Crysis running with latency only marginally worse than running it local... Sure, sounds great :p

Caporegime
Isn't that a tad pointless, and completely inefficient? By the time you have a cloud gaming service "in every street, on every mast", you might just as well have the hardware in people's homes.

Associate
Isn't that a tad pointless, and completely inefficient? By the time you have a cloud gaming service "in every street, on every mast", you might just as well have the hardware in people's homes.

You are correct, and it will get there. That home wifi router, for example, will start to grow in capability. To host general functions that will be of use to its location, depending on what services they can sell you. It all depends on economics. How low cost can compute and storage go. How many users in a street would use it. Whether it's worth serving the town, street or house. Or even device. At the very edge phones will become so powerful they will be able to replace home PCs, or at least the compute and storage parts of them (but that's not new news of course).

Its costly hosting stuff that can be pushed onto general shared computes. Get it hosted right at the user location instead and get them to pay the electricity bill.

Consider also, that your house router from your favourite isp could be hosting a gaming session played by 3 of your neighbours without you even knowing, backed up by another neighbours device in case yours disconnects

Associate
That's certainly a sci-fi view of the future. I think it's more likely to go the other way down the quantum entanglement route meaning you can pass data across vast distances in a few ms or less, or generally just a way of massively decreasing latency i.e. what comes after fibre, rather than moving stuff closer to the end user as what the end user wants will continue to get broader and broader in scope.

Soldato
You musnt forget we are a bunch of "extremists" who look for monitors with sub 5ms response time. Whereas 95% of the world is happy gaming on "any old TV" with often response times of >50ms.
cloud gaming IS the future whether we like it or not. It will happen in the next decade for certain. And as more people drift over to it the more that will make consumer hardware obsolete and not worth making.

Hell most gamers havent even heard of latency less care a damn about it to the levels we are talking about.

a £10 a month subscription is a much better business model in 2021 than a £600+ console or PC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom