• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6700XT review thread

Soldato
Seems a bit of a dud

I can say now, that if you play Division 2 and play at 1440p, the difference between this card and a 1080ti, 2070 Super or a 5700XT is going to be massive. As other forum regulars will know i tested all three cards back-to-back in my rig on various games and i know what they can do in Division 2 very well indeed.

You are going from 60s and 70's with those three cards right up beyond 90fps and into 100fps average with a reference 6700XT and no OC with a 10% overclock that's into 100fps and job done.

A 6900XT will get you to 120hz and beyond but will you feel it on the screen?

On that basis and cost aside the 6700XT is a winner winner, chicken dinner. I also think the 3070 is a great card its just lacking a tiny bit of vram but i would still be happy to own one.

Caporegime
I can say now, that if you play Division 2 and play at 1440p, the difference between this card and a 1080ti, 2070 Super or a 5700XT is going to be massive. As other forum regulars will know i tested all three cards back-to-back in my rig on various games and i know what they can do in Division 2 very well indeed.

You are going from 60s and 70's with those three cards right up beyond 90fps and into 100fps average with a reference 6700XT and no OC with a 10% overclock that's into 100fps and job done.

A 6900XT will get you to 120hz and beyond but will you feel it on the screen?

On that basis and cost aside the 6700XT is a winner winner, chicken dinner. I also think the 3070 is a great card its just lacking a tiny bit of vram but i would still be happy to own one.
You’re basing this on one AMD optimised title. Try over a range of games, then put it against its competitor, the 3070, then tell me it’s a winner.

Soldato
OP
The RX6700XT is already a bit overpriced at its RRP,and its street price and availability is going to end up even worse than the Nvidia GPUs. Also essentially this is an overclocked version of the GPU in the PS5(which is also 40CU but has a few disabled for yield purposes).

Power effiency seems to have gone backwards compared to the other RDNA2 GPUs too as it seems to have been pushed to the edge. Let's hope the RX6700 is a better balance.

Caporegime
You’re basing this on one AMD optimised title. Try over a range of games, then put it against its competitor, the 3070, then tell me it’s a winner.

I play Div2 and picked up a 3070 as a temp card whilst my 6900XT went back (had slight damage I wasn't happy with for £1500, Strix LC) and tbh all I did was drop the render to 85% at 4k and job done. Sure the 6900XT was higher fps at 100% native but was it a deal-breaker? Nope. Managed to get a Nitro 6800XT for a decent price and happy as Larry :)

All of these cards are powerful AF for DX12/Vulkan games now, a lot of horsepower in them!

Soldato
OP
36CU's active out of 40 iirc, Xbox has 52 active for reference.

Yep,and the XBox GPU seems to be somewhat more powerful,so it makes me wonder whether its actually faster than an RX6700XT. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next year or two,when developers actually start using the new generation consoles as the main development platform. ATM,most titles seem to be reheated versions of the ones made for the previous generation.

Soldato
Hmm, here’s hoping someone like Powercolor can pull off an ITX version of this card, but I think the TDP is just a little too high sadly. :(

Soldato
OP
2 of the reviews actually talk about price - and because of the trade war, brexit, mining and non pc related IT supply issues - these new prices are likely to be the norm going forward

The problem is that laptops with dGPUs and many prebuilt PCs from large companies such as Dell,don't seem anywhere as affected in pricing. So I think PCMR and PC part retailers are being given the short end of the stick.

Yup, it's totally tweaked!

Its why I am surprised a 56CU GPU hasn't been released because the XBox Series X has one and its RDNA2.

Associate
We can see this has been pushed beyond the perf/watt sweetpoint:
qtdabtq.png
That's from TPU (https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt/36.html)
And from ComputerBase (https://www.computerbase.de/2021-03...st/4/#diagramm-performance-pro-watt-1920-1080)
u4IWZbt.png
With a shortage of everything and yields presumably better than Navi 21 due to being 'only' 336mm², clocking it so high sort of makes sense for AMD, but not for us.
Last gen, the 5600 was their most efficient part, so a 6700 non XT or a 6600 XTX based on this chip should be far more efficient.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Its clearly much more a 3060TI than a 3070, which makes it over priced, its $80 more expensive than the 3060TI.

is it though :p wait for the retail madness to kick off tomorrow and then see what the actual prices are, but agreed at rrp its too much.

Associate
Its clearly much more a 3060TI than a 3070, which makes it over priced, its $80 more expensive than the 3060TI.

Not impressed with that.

At 1440p TPU have it closer to the 3070 than 3060Ti. Computer Base have it in the middle.

RRP should be right in the middle of both at most. + Point is more vram - point is worse RT and no DLSS. Consumers can choose what they prefer.

Problem is RRP/MSRP is meaningless right now so whatever AMD/NV say it is makes zero difference.

Caporegime
At 1440p TPU have it closer to the 3070 than 3060Ti. Computer Base have it in the middle.

RRP should be right in the middle of both at most. + Point is more vram - point is worse RT and no DLSS. Consumers can choose what they prefer.

Problem is RRP/MSRP is meaningless right now so whatever AMD/NV say it is makes zero difference.

It would be a good card if the RRP was reasonable, but it isn't, $20 cheaper than a 3070, its a 3070 competitor.

• Worse performance
  • No DLSS
  • Recording your gameplay with these the image quality is a apparently still not as good as Nvidia.
  • RTX performance, it might as well not do it at all.

What it does have going for it.

• AMD Sortware and Drivers are better than Nvidia's, sorry they just are, anyone is free to disagree.
  • A proper amount of VRam
  • Radeon Image Sharpening (RIS) Brilliant. don't argue that with me :p
I think on balance this is a $399 card, and not a penny more.

PS: notice i said "RTX" Nvdia RT sponsored titles, RT performance is much better in titles that aren't Nvidia sponsored, or actually better, None of the big mainstream reviewers include any of them in their testing, only RTX games and more often than not just the ones that are absolutely the worst.

Whatever the reason for that this is firmly a problem AMD need to solve, and they absolutely must tackle this bias, if they are just going to sit back like naive impenitent morons i have absolutely no sympathy for them. they need to sort themselves out in this regard.

Moores Law is dead had Jim from AdoredTV on a week or so ago, he explained his reasons for his "I'm done with AMD video" He put a lot of effort into exposing Intel and Nvidia bias in Ryan Shrout's publications, a bias that was not just obvious to him but at that point the whole of the enthusiast community, even Nvidia Fanboys couldn't contain themselves giggling at some of it.

In return for this effort AMD went on a mad defensive with Jim over Ryan Shrout, even paid Ryan for more publication work that also turned into a complete joke.

Ryan Shrout now works for Intel and AMD burned their bridges with one of their most influential allies in the tech press to protect this guy. There are people in AMD who are incredibly naive and don't know what they are doing, and they are in exactly the wrong potions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom