Road Cycling

Soldato
Know how you feel Jonny. The Dimension NDR is the best I’ve found so far but I wouldn’t say it’s the Goldilocks saddle, reasonable cost and comfort.

Soldato
Not surprised your guy doesn't want to give it a go - after seeing that video (if he's seen!). Totally agree not worth the stress of going through that, but then the fact it seems much better/resolved now with the old bearing in, possible the replacement you got isn't exact size? Got any vernier calipers you could confirm it with? Could just be the bearing is crappy/junk and couldn't handle the pressure.
Nope. That's another tool I need :D

But yes.. think I'll get some new bearings and pop those in the hub. One thing at least is it's super quick to dismantle the hub. Literally just pull things off. I think I can even pull the freehub/cassette off together. A lot less faff than some wheels that require two spanners either side and an allen key etc.

Soldato
Nope. That's another tool I need :D

But yes.. think I'll get some new bearings and pop those in the hub. One thing at least is it's super quick to dismantle the hub. Literally just pull things off. I think I can even pull the freehub/cassette off together. A lot less faff than some wheels that require two spanners either side and an allen key etc.

Haha, same! Have never picked one up and just managed with a metal ruler (and a squint 'yeah that's half a mm'). Same with something like a torque wrench with high nM... Anything over about 25nM here gets 'man tight'. ;):D

One thing I do like about my Disk hubs with endcaps they just pull straight off. No faffing with unscrewing etc (like the original AXIS wheels or how most rim brake hubs are with their QR ends!)

Soldato
It sure was windy today!

Lucky for me, tailwind pushing me up the climbs. Some hill repeats with a longer cool down, not a turn round and ride back up, a little circle loop. Trying to get some quick fitness with 5 minute hard efforts, last year I did plenty of long rides and was super fit by now, but behind where I was.

Started getting a little noise, I think it’s rear spokes because of all the mega watts I push obv. It’s that kind of ting noise ;)

Going to do the obvious, chainring bolts, skewer, check cassette tight, chain is freshly waxed, but I’m fairly confident in my diagnosis. I can change bikes to maybe, whisper it, the summer bike which will eliminate all the other variables.

Worst case drop it at the shop for twiddling, I can ride a tubular rear while it’s in and take the risk of a flat!

Soldato
Yep. Proper windy. A very bitter wind too. Took some time for my hands to warm up!

Got out nice and early (at last) for a short ride. Flying along on the way back. 9 miles or so in 20 mins but I got held up by a tractor! :D

Soldato
Wasn't that bad compared to today that was tough! Had that horrible mid temperature where I was sweating loads but needed layers as the wind was just cutting through me. Nice to have the tailwind for the 10miles back from my parents.

Soldato
So glad I decided on Zwift rather than getting outside today. Fingers crossed the weather perks up a bit for the kick off of the Bundy and I'm off next Saturday to get round the Douglas bunch.

Soldato
Agreed. Wind was worse today. Wanted to ride further but way too tired so just 90 mins or so. Got the next few days off work and looks like temps might be touching 20C :)

Soldato
Agreed, I should perhaps have paid closer attention to the forecast as it was windier and a little colder than I expected. Still did 50 miles, on the new Dimension NDR saddle. Rather odd, was terrible for my hour indoor yesterday and today my ass hurt a little after just 10 miles. What was odd, my other saddle will get gradually worse and I might be in some pain after a couple of hours. This one, hurt early, but didn't seem to get any worse.

I've used the Selle saddle selector and ordered a Well Gel and Well Gel M1 to come tomorrow. I've tried to measure my sit bones and seems to be between 110mm and 120mm, so maybe not the M1 actually (I assume I've got a wide frame generally, but maybe not).

Soldato
Can take a while for your arse to get used to the new shape so give it a week on it before changing?

Looks like I've managed to get a puncture on the turbo today, must have been all those Watts I was producing :D

Soldato
Started getting a little noise, I think it’s rear spokes because of all the mega watts I push obv. It’s that kind of ting noise ;)

Going to do the obvious, chainring bolts, skewer, check cassette tight, chain is freshly waxed, but I’m fairly confident in my diagnosis.
Don't forget the Mech hanger! But probably a loose spoke or valve nut, but of course you checked those first ;)

Wasn't that bad compared to today that was tough! Had that horrible mid temperature where I was sweating loads but needed layers as the wind was just cutting through me. Nice to have the tailwind for the 10miles back from my parents.
Was a bit like that today, I flew down to the office and it felt cool so even put leg warmers on... Big mistake! Even at 7.55am it was about 12 degrees! So riding back at lunchtime with the thermal shorts and thermal windproof jersey was a little more leasurely. Although wind was cool enough to practice a 'suicide pull' on the way back (prior to a Zwift event tomorrow), once I was out of the wind and in the full sun it was boiling hot. Easily 22 degrees in my south facing rear of garage/rear garden away from the winds. T-shirt weather!

Got the next few days off work and looks like temps might be touching 20C :)
You timed that perfectly, kudos in advance on the start of your tanlines! :cool:

WTF we have a new smiley on here - :cry:

Someone else said that to me. I think the fact it instantly feels a little too firm means I will try one of the Selle gel next, but wont totally write it off yet.
I've got 'Selle Italia Max Gel Flow' or something. Looks similar to this one but don't recall mine being a 'Flite' so possibly the precursor, it looks like it though: https://road.cc/content/review/2899-selle-italia-max-flite-gel-flow-saddle

I rode it a few months on the turbo but couldn't get on with it, was a S/H ebay bargain so can do you a deal if you're interested. Have been meaning to flog it on for a couple of years already!

Don't discount a saddle too early, especially if it feels a 'little too firm'. I felt that with the Specialized Power initially but as you found I got no 'worse' for being longer on it. It's not my goldilocks saddle but it's the closest I've found so far...

Soldato
You timed that perfectly, kudos in advance on the start of your tanlines! :cool:
I uhm.. went out in fleece lined leg warmers and fleece lined jersey earlier. I figured only 12C when I started and yesterday was also 12C and cold.. lol. Wind still high. I sweated a lot.

Soldato
No valve nuts on there.

I did remove the tyre and tube and refit incase the valve was tapping the rim.

Looks like it’s summer bike territory tomorrow!

Soldato
We had our first work group ride last night, wow, what an amazing evening for it! First time out without a base layer or sleeves... such a nice evening! Took the 4 Seasons of the rear wheel and put a new GP5000 on, to match the front wheel. Bagged a few PR's on fav segments we've not done for a while too, which is always nice :)

Wiggle let me down on next day delivery for the new saddle though, it's on its way now though, so might wait in for it today, before heading out into what looks to be an even nice day today! (I have this week off work and it looks like I rather lucked out on the weather!) Last week I set a new Strava record for me with 210 miles, I might beat that this week!

Soldato
So after all that effort fixing the DT Swiss wheel it's now buckled. Thanks Surrey council.

The road heading north of Box Hill must be one of the most popular cycling routes in the country yet ever since I've known it you have to slalom a complete mess of potholes. Hit a massive one as it was hard to see with all the shadows. Insta flat then bounced through the next set. Ejected my bottle. Almost lost my Exposure Tracer. Only just yesterday I set the brake pads up proper close so it was nice and true.. now it's far from it. Urghhh!

Nice weather though.

Soldato
VFqmyxg.jpg

ATO0PtG.jpg

TwK1Zcc.jpg

Amazing weather. I forgot how much more tiring it is riding in the heat! Only 50 miles, but I'm really feeling it now.

New Selle Well Gel was okay. Will give it a couple more rides, then decide between it and the Dimension. I don't know if I'll even try the wider Well Gel? I think my sit bones are fairly normal width.

Back
Top Bottom