Road Cycling

Soldato
None round rings plus Sram TT shifters will be a nightmare.

I was using them as they came with the crankset, you had to shift very gently and slowly. And be careful going down or it would drop.

Ive since changed back to Sram round rings with Quarq and it’s much better.

I had SRAM eTap with TT blips and using Rotor Q rings 53/39 and it was an absolute nightmare. Dropping chains like nobodies business no matter what I done/tried.
Glad it was only temporary as was just waiting on a round 54t single and got the front mech off the TT bike.

But yeah, my experience of oval rings and SRAM tie in with what I see here. Awful.

Soldato
I keep meaning to get one of those Halfords Professional kits... Next time they have an offer on maybe.
Yeah mine is good and had lots of use, although so many sizes and tools in there I'm sure I'll never use them all - it's just handy to know there's always something in there... Apart from smaller hex's! :rolleyes:

Yes wouldn't pay usual price for it as very steep, but great offers on them and heard the lifetime warranty works.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01B6E1...abc_ZPC382B0SHZ0Y58C1CP5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Bought this as the park tool one was out of stock and also about £200+vat. Already helped remove a stuck outer race from a carbon BB90 shell, quite a few hub bearings and outer bearing races from assioma pedals just yesterday. Handy for stuck races in head tubes too. The puller is useless but the slide hammer and collets are fine.
Have not really seen/used a slide hammer. Is that the thing on the top left? Does it do like the name implies - fit/slide it in, then just hammer?

I've got one of these I've used a few times, is the slide hammer a similar concept? - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-bottom-bracket-bearing-tool-set-bbt-304

So I managed to press the bearing in a little further on the DT Swiss wheel using... ahem.. the freehub itself (and a press through it) but then axle turned very rough. Quite hard to even turn well so I guess it didn't go in straight. Decided to just take the bearings out... and I've emailed local guy that serviced my MTB recently (couldn't be bothered myself plus I can't true wheels!).
I wouldn't worry too much about the scoring on the outer race as it looks minor, but would be more concerned with not getting it straight due to that. Does sound a little like the bearing has got crushed as it's too tight in there for it to spin (if it's not alignment).

I'm using this one with a TickR sensor pod:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WLMMG7S/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_D3NJFGWYQ4J97WYY0M1Z

No problems with it. When I got it, I had it paired to Sufferfest and a Scooshe optical HR paired to my Garmin. Anytime I looked between them, they were either the same or +/- 1 BPM.
Cheers that’s two votes for that one now.
Rode mine the last couple of days and it's fine! Works well with the TICKR. May question how grotty it'll get behind the unit, or maybe how the clip wears over many years (doesn't seem that strong), but won't age the poppers on the TICKR like the other as you're not undoing it.

But at that price happy to replace it every 2-3 years! Also the blue is very similar to the colour on my TICKR so looks great! :D

What happened to the strap? Snapped?

Mine has been going a good 4+ years now. I do wonder when it's going to fail.
Nothing wrong with my strap, 7 years old. Some grotty colours on it, like it was 'rotting' (eww) and lost much of it's elasticity. But poppers still good!

Maybe I should make a separate thread, but does anyone have any ideas that might help - I like to take my GoPro out with me sometimes, to make video of trips (I specifically have one going to be booked later this year which I would love to document) but I find it such a pain try to get something that bulky in and out of a pocket on my jersey. I'm wondering what I can use on the bike? At one point I wondered about a simple velcro figure 8 loop of some kind. One loop goes around a bar and the other loop I drop the handle (selfie stick I guess) down into and the GoPro would kind of just dangle there. I think this might jiggle about too much though. Am I missing something simple perhaps?
Sounds like you've got this sorted, but would question using it with your hands unless riding really leasurely. Fast/fun descents, hard climbs with epic views, I'd just bar/chest/helmet mount it for ease & safety

Chest straps are good for over 'feeling' of riding. I've got a friend who does trails and his looks superb as gets shaken far less than bike mounted. Mine is bar mounted (underslung) and works well 80% the time on road. Descents look fast, but get lots of vibration/blur through it. But mines for safety and records 99% of every ride I've done since 2016. Also a heavy Garmin VIRB (v1) so horrible to helmet mount. Was kinda ok when snowboarding but no way on a bike helmet.

Really liked the GoPro Session but never got around to getting one. Then could never settle on the knockoff/alternative ones. My VIRB is overdue replacing but at the moment (last few years!) nothing I'd replace it with.

FYI Muc-off Chamois Cream now £11.21 at Amazon for next 2 days: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Muc-Off-339-Muc-Off-Chamois/dp/B016MPM1RG/
How does this compare to Assos stuff? Been using that for years and more than happy with it. Especially for only a few quid more.

The times I tried other cheaper creams have always ended up disappointed so stopped trying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not tried Assoss but Muc Off is 250ml I think so more cream. Obviously, viscosity might vary so actual lifespan of a tub might be similar anyway. Muc Off is fairly solid in the tub but soon softens up when worked.

I wouldn't worry too much about the scoring on the outer race as it looks minor, but would be more concerned with not getting it straight due to that. Does sound a little like the bearing has got crushed as it's too tight in there for it to spin (if it's not alignment).
Here's another issue with removing the ring nut... Apparently it's VERY hard. https://youtu.be/y0iL2h584MI?t=33

I'll have to find a shop that wants a go I think. Emailed the guy that sorted my MTB but he doesn't have the tool and didn't seem too keen.

Soldato
FYI Muc-off Chamois Cream now £11.21 at Amazon for next 2 days: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Muc-Off-339-Muc-Off-Chamois/dp/B016MPM1RG/

Noob question time, I ordered this because I've been getting some pain in the inside right buttock... erm... so... is this just for chaffing though? I don't think I get anything from that, more just a pressure point I guess? Also, application of the product? (Not used it before)

I've got a friend who does trails and his looks superb as gets shaken far less than bike mounted.

I have an underbar mount that I used today and tbh, the GoPro 9 is so stable, I think it looks great (video link in my latest Strava activity if you're interested). The stem bag literally just came through my letterbox, I'm thinking I might get a Sony ZV-1 to go in the stem bag and leave the GoPro mounted and then have the choice of which I'll use for different scenarios.

Soldato
Noob question time, I ordered this because I've been getting some pain in the inside right buttock... erm... so... is this just for chaffing though? I don't think I get anything from that, more just a pressure point I guess? Also, application of the product? (Not used it before)
Personally, I go for a 1:1:2 mix of muc off, vaseline and greek yoghurt as per the Muc off CEO.

(dunno really, just rub it in. It might help solve chafing issues. If you have no issues then it's probably a pointless purchase... I don't feel I require it expect for particularly long rides but kinda got into the habit..)

Soldato
@Roady you wind the collet in and expands like a carving bung. Gripping the back of a bearing race or even the inner bearing channel of it. You can tighten it lots so it essentially becomes one with it.

You want the shaft of the hammer onto it and slide the big bulbous part backwards toward you to pull it out rather than chapping from behind with a normal hammer like the tool you have.

We do have the BB30 tool and BB86 tools but this is handy for when it doesn't go to plan.

Soldato
So I put the original bearing back in and did it all up. Axle is a little notchy but not too bad. Freehub no longer sticking! Win. Only took about 2 years to fix that wheel :D

I guess I should get the bearings properly replaced though. The main issue I think (2 years ago) was the freehub bearings.

We do have the BB30 tool and BB86 tools but this is handy for when it doesn't go to plan.
I changed my own BB during first lockdown last year as bike shops were super backed up. I bought the PRO BB86 tool and had to use some serious force to knock the bearing out. I was so scared of missing and whacking straight through the frame. I think bike shop next time!

Soldato
@AndyCr15

Is it always on right side in the same place as if so it will likely be as you're not sitting on the saddle evenly/square. Get a mirror and check your backside after a ride. Will be saddle width and/or height with the possibility of saddle angle, bib shorts etc not helping. This is providing legs equal and no heavy bias 47/53 max under normal load avg.

Soldato
@AndyCr15

Is it always on right side in the same place as if so it will likely be as you're not sitting on the saddle evenly/square. Get a mirror and check your backside after a ride. Will be saddle width and/or height with the possibility of saddle angle, bib shorts etc not helping. This is providing legs equal and no heavy bias 47/53 max under normal load avg.

This, also if its more in your bum cheek rather than underneath sounds like the way you're sitting is perhaps too upright and or rear of the saddle is connecting with your bum every rotation as such potentially causing the lump. Slight push back of the saddle could help but tbh it's all just finger in the air stuff and a proper bike fit will be the way to resolve it.

Soldato
Not tried Assoss but Muc Off is 250ml I think so more cream. Obviously, viscosity might vary so actual lifespan of a tub might be similar anyway. Muc Off is fairly solid in the tub but soon softens up when worked.

Here's another issue with removing the ring nut... Apparently it's VERY hard. https://youtu.be/y0iL2h584MI?t=33

I'll have to find a shop that wants a go I think. Emailed the guy that sorted my MTB but he doesn't have the tool and didn't seem too keen.
Missed the deal on the Muc Off now but not too bothered - stick with what I know & works pretty well for me!

Not surprised your guy doesn't want to give it a go - after seeing that video (if he's seen!). Totally agree not worth the stress of going through that, but then the fact it seems much better/resolved now with the old bearing in, possible the replacement you got isn't exact size? Got any vernier calipers you could confirm it with? Could just be the bearing is crappy/junk and couldn't handle the pressure.

You kinda get some on your finger and rub it in friction areas. Like the amount of margerine you'd put on a piece of toast... Yes, it's there to reduce chaffing, usually the area between thighs and crotch, rather than on the sit bones or buttocks themselves. Doesn't sound like your problem is chaffing related unless you had something rubbing against you inside the shorts - possibly cotton/thread came undone on the edge of the pad or something else?

@Roady you wind the collet in and expands like a carving bung. Gripping the back of a bearing race or even the inner bearing channel of it. You can tighten it lots so it essentially becomes one with it.

You want the shaft of the hammer onto it and slide the big bulbous part backwards toward you to pull it out rather than chapping from behind with a normal hammer like the tool you have.

Ahhh ok, great explanation and think I understand, thanks!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/red-walters-i-think-i-can-get-to-the-worldtour/ Always great to see local riders in the press! Remember seeing his results a few years ago on some local TTs and thinking Wow. Depressing also seeing whipper snappers being so quick :p
Good link and great little channel he has. Like his attitude if you watch a few more of his videos he's really quite modest and very much 'testing himself' to see what is possible - rather than really aiming to beat others. Great racing attitude! Will be a crime if he doesn't get snapped up. Randomly came across him chasing (& smashing!) a good NAT123 guy I know who's doing well in Zwift (Andy Turner). Check his last 1km in that race, it's insane. 20 w/kg long surge/kick and he barely drops below 10w/kg for almost 30s. Beast! :eek:

Each saddle suits different people. I have had stock saddles be comfier than expensive fizik ones but as @Drollic covered check out the positioning, dont change too much at once then take it from there.
This.

Getting the right saddle and even shorts combo is like the holy grail, or goldilocks. And unique to most of us - plus it can also change as your body and fitness change!

Last edited:
Soldato
One day I hope to have a good short and saddle combo that I like.

I'm getting on ok with this dimension but feel I have a cleat/arch support niggle with my left foot which I'm linking to saddle sore on the left. The Shimano shoes allow me to run cleats realllly far back which I seem to get on with.

Haven't tried my newest shorts with the dimension but some Madison ones seem to work well, got new Alé Bundy kit which is awfy small made for a large and getting some EKRC bioracer kit soon. They only sell a low cut aero jersey , I prefer more of a collar with smooth sleeves but only available for kids for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom