Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

OcUK Staff
OP

Seems to be a few different versions of this around

Tegiwa guys doing a trial fit on Wednesday in mine with the one they shall be selling, I get to keep it so will let people know if it fits discreetly and if it works.

My GR Yaris got its first wash yesterday:

GR.jpg

The car was filthy but the flat white is such a bright solid white it looks good even when covered in dirt. Still clean looks better, that was just a quick snow foam clean and came up well, when weather warms a bit more I will get a coat of Si02 wax on it to protect and seal it. :)

The white has really grown on me, expected to dislike it but really like it. So might as well save myself a couple of grand and forget wrapping it, no mods yet, still observing to see what comes out, car is bloody fantastic stock!

Yep, very naughty car, glad I got circuit pack as you can feel the differentials when you push very hard.

How do you compare this to the Golf R @Gibbo if you have time to reply

I am pretty certain im going AWD again and as such I am finding it hard to overlook the Yaris compared to a TTS/TTRS/Golf R right now
I did have my heart set on the 5 cylinder burble but its twice the price pretty much and I think the yaris may be more suitable to the lanes as well

Only thing that really worries me is that parts could be tricky / silly priced
My cross country route means I do end up with wildlife issues, normally suicide road runner impression pheasants perfect for removing fog lights etc, but twice deer (I avoided one but the other was a minor sideswipe)

OcUK Staff
OP
How do you compare this to the Golf R @Gibbo if you have time to reply

I am pretty certain im going AWD again and as such I am finding it hard to overlook the Yaris compared to a TTS/TTRS/Golf R right now
I did have my heart set on the 5 cylinder burble but its twice the price pretty much and I think the yaris may be more suitable to the lanes as well

Only thing that really worries me is that parts could be tricky / silly priced
My cross country route means I do end up with wildlife issues, normally suicide road runner impression pheasants perfect for removing fog lights etc, but twice deer (I avoided one but the other was a minor sideswipe)

The GR Yaris won't beat a Golf R DSG in a straight line, neither is it as easily tuneable or as practical.

But the GR Yaris feels just superior, it is a lot more fun to drive, it is hard to explain but a Golf R pushed hard, goes to understeer and more, plus its all a bit numb.
The GR Yaris circuit pack feels far more driver focused, it is more fun to drive at slow speeds or at the limit, its better handling.

Soldato
Tegiwa guys doing a trial fit on Wednesday in mine with the one they shall be selling, I get to keep it so will let people know if it fits discreetly and if it works.

My GR Yaris got its first wash yesterday:

GR.jpg

The car was filthy but the flat white is such a bright solid white it looks good even when covered in dirt. Still clean looks better, that was just a quick snow foam clean and came up well, when weather warms a bit more I will get a coat of Si02 wax on it to protect and seal it. :)

The white has really grown on me, expected to dislike it but really like it. So might as well save myself a couple of grand and forget wrapping it, no mods yet, still observing to see what comes out, car is bloody fantastic stock!

So very vexed that we don't get the Yaris in the USA. I had to settle for an WRX STI as my new daily, and will need substantial mods to get it feeling less like a boat.

Do you follow Apex and Misha on You Tube with their Yaris?

Soldato
I emailed Toyota asking for an update on my order delivery date. The GR Yaris forum is suggesting that a lot of orders may have been brought forward, so I was just looking for confirmation if that was the case or not. I've not had a reply yet. I have also noticed on places like Carwow you are starting to get almost £4K off on a new (albeit base level) Golf 8 R, which puts it very close to the price of the Circuit Pack GR Yaris.

Soldato
Just got the "Processing Order" email as well. Looks like they may be sending out status emails on bulk. Hopefully the email is not instead of a proper reply to my delivery date query :p

Soldato
Chucked my stock car on the dyno yesterday, just out of boredom really.

pXDXqPV.jpg
p0XYp2I.jpg

Very pleasant surprise. This was the best of 3 runs, others were 286 & 288.

Don’t think I’ll ever bother with power mods, but I would really like the roof put back to forged and probably adjustable springs to sort the ride height /corner weighting.

Soldato
Interesting result there @Chris1712 from what I've seen from other dyno videos etc. they seem to be around 267 BHP which is broadly the same as the Japanese cars. I guess there is maybe a fairly large variance in what some of the engines produce.
Look forward to see the full review on Top Gear tomorrow night. Looks like Chris Harris is quite taken by it.

Mine is probably still a long way away. No reply from Toyota on my query around whether arrival date may have changed, which is a bit disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom