Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Seems Toyota are on a bit of a roll with the great Supra and now this if true:
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/th...v3S1XgH9BYNNBekzOIKe0nqE-MqBJwGcdB4ElQVRJJtr4

Apart from the rather ugly looks but its not terrible but a near 300BHP in a car that hopefully won't weigh much more than 1100kg with the engine pushed further back and double wishbones all round has surely got to be a lot of fun, a little like how the EVO 4/5/6 generations were, its manual too.

Guess only downsides is its a Yaris not exactly a good looking car and its 35-40k, but in fairness if the on paper specs translate into driving enjoyment and its limited production to me all of a sudden the price looks rather reasonable, maybe even pretty solid for residuals.

Not sure how I feel about a three cylinder engine though, suppose it might sound cool.

What do people think?

OcUK Staff
OP

Nice at under 30k it seems like a pretty cool car, am somewhat disappointed it weighs in at 1280kg, but compared to the rest of stuff on the market its a comparative lightweight, but I was dreaming of a 275BHP and around 1100kg, still I like the idea of the driving modes where all torque can be set to go rear only, sounds like it could be a lot of fun, wonder how limited the production shall be as it could be perfect replacement for the Abarth. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Price is the main factor really. It's a shame Suzuki haven't done an Ignis Sport Alllgrip or 4wd Swift Sport.

Yeah I guess, if Toyota bring like small numbers to UK then 27k will be pennies as people will be trying to flip them for profits, it will all come down to the production numbers in the end, if they bring 500+ then 27k may limit their sales and they will drop in value, but if numbers are low then they will all get snapped up I suspect.

OcUK Staff
OP
Lardy it is around 400 Kilo lighter than a focus RS. That's a huge amount. Most front wheel drive hot hatches do not even weigh less than the Yaris.

It needs a big wing though. Will finish it off nicely.

It does seem a bit strange though as Toyota had no need to make this as homologation doesn't exist now and they have gone pretty hardcore with it as most of it is bespoke. Especially as the new Supra is essentially a Z4 in a dress!?

Who knows, lets just be glad cars like this are still made from time to time. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Official details released - https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-japanesecars/toyota-gr-yaris-goes-on-sale-in-uk/41974

Starting at a touch under 30k. Really liking the look of this car!

Looks a fantastic piece of kit, it is kind of like a mini-WRX or mini-EVO, though probably no smaller actually as I imagine a Yaris with a wide body kit won't be that small.
Glad Toyota are bringing some fun stuff to market and with a more powerful Supra on way and rumours of a GR GT86 with more power, they will be the go too brand. Glad to see Toyota still pumping out fun cars! :)

OcUK Staff
OP
It is pretty much a rally car for the road :D

If there is room for tuning (small engine so many not much), it will be insane. That with 300+ HP...

Who knows gonna assume it will be 255-275 stock, should imagine a higher flow exhaust, other breathing mods, mapped for 99 fuel it will make around 320HP, should be good fun if under 1400kg.

OcUK Staff
OP
Spec is known. 1280KG, 257bhp. Official 0-62mph 5.5s.

Very nice spec, quite tempted to order one, are they limited production run or open to all?
Tuned to 320HP should be sub 4.5 to 60 which will be pretty decent and having the AWD ratio and LSD's either end and 1280kg, plus manual gears should be a lot of fun to drive on road.

OcUK Staff
OP
The Yaris might be more fun but I have a sneaking suspicion the Golf/S3 will end up actually being the quicker cars! Not to mention a shed load more practical.

Fun is more important than performance!
Want performance for sure buy a Golf R DSG and remap it and your hitting 60 in sub 3.5s and can drive flat out in all conditions and go crazy fast and not feel remotely challenged and hence nowhere near as fun even at twice the speed.

OcUK Staff
OP
Whilst I do think it's expensive, it likely will be a limited run thing, and I can't think of anything this mad as a production car for £30k.
I dislike the argument of "30k for a Yaris", especially when its touted by people who would think nothing of dropping 40k plus on "a golf" or whatever, there will always be a market for stuff like this for people who can afford it. if you can't, or you don't want to, then maybe just let people like what they want?

Always same problem, people think Yaris whereas the reality is this is not a Yaris its a totally bespoke car built from ground up by engineers to compete in WRC and homologated for road, yeah it will be slower in a straight line than a Golf R but the person driving the Yaris won't car they will be having a lot more fun driving at half the speed.

OcUK Staff
OP
Just put £1000 deposit down for one, test drive should happen in December and if I like it, which I am sure I will then I will take a circuit pack edition on the basis I get one as dealership said there is only 2500 units, not sure on truth of this though?

OcUK Staff
OP
The original global run was supposed to be 25,000 cars, IIRC – but, even now the WRC car has been binned, more will be made if the demand is there (according to Toyota, at least). There's no fixed limit, basically.

Well would be nice if it holds its money, but if not does not matter as its not to flip and if I like it shall replace the Abarth with it. Plus I am kind of hoping they can be fiddled with as would like to push it towards 350-400HP. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
I've been tempted and by the 0% finance deal and I hate finance usually. I read the first year cars are nearly sold out already but have not found clarity on this, inc when and how many in second year and how long total production for. Would probably replace the MX-5 RF I bought new last year if I do but that's a great car too, just not sure I want to run two nice cars -currently have an old banger as a runabout.
Left an enquiry with a local dealer and said they'll have a demonstrator in next month or two. Asked me if I would make up my mind by looking around a std Yaris :). I can understand why as I mentioned the boot space a few times and I think they got the impression that was the only thing I was concerned about - but it does need to fit my brompton folded, something the MX-5 cannot do. I want to be sure it's a long term keeper however so would want to check one out before deciding.

Should hold it's value well IMO. Very rare breed of car.
Red or pearlescent white & circuit pack would be my choice.

Yeah deal is very good, I took the 0% offer, they will finalise details but its something like 7k down, £299 a month for 2yr and then a 15k final payment. If all goes well I should take delivery in 3-4 months time. Paid 1k now and will sell the Abarth once I know 110% I am getting one, will then advertise Abarth six weeks prior to delivery as worth around 10-11k, so will have change from the 7k down.

Will also sell the M5 and go and buy an Alfa Quad, but will just buy outright unless I can get a sub 2% finance deal on a used one, but unlikely as will probably buy private anyway.

OcUK Staff
OP
I suspect to some degree a lot of the potential retrofit paths will exist in the loom if you really wanted JBL speakers and amp. I also think that there will be a jap tuning revival for this particular car which will be great to see. The resale is for the purists though. Find one of these in a garage in 30 years time with 5k on the clock and you'll be paying chunks for it.

Mine won’t have 5k on it as I intend to drive the wheels of it and hoping it can be tuned to 300-350ish maybe even 400 and I’ll get it down to 1250kg, looking forward to and sounds a proper fun car. Chris Harris called it a supercar killer which clearly speaks volumes of its ability on a back road. I can’t decide on colour at moment apart from ruling black out.

min leaning towards white but can’t decide between flat white or Pearl and I kind of like the idea of wrapping it orange or green. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Whenever it’s too soggy to enjoy the 4C. Will also do a couple track days per year I think.

For me it will share daily duties with the Alfa Quadrifoglio I plan to get to replace M5. Alfa when I need to carry more than two people or a dry day and Yaris GR when it’s a wet cold day or I just want to drive like a nutter and I hope to tune it somewhat, 350HP / 1250kg should be pretty rapid. These pair will be the cars to put miles on and the rest of the fleet for special occasions and the S2000 only really comes out on warm sunny days. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Okay, so maybe gibbo is optimistic with a 350bhp ;)

Guess depends on commute, guess I could tolerate something like this :D

Am sure 350 is possible but if not 300 is ample as is the 260 it comes with. :)

Be months before I take delivery and by then more will be know on tuning side and if it can’t be tuned it’s no hardship.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Gone with flat white in the end, as not fond of any of the other colours personally. Will either get it wrapped or Litchfield sprayed in green or orange.

Been given a delivery date of March 16th today but they hope to pull that forward, shall see. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Toyota have given me an end of May delivery date.

They are certainly proving popular! Obviously they deliver the lesser colours first.

I am not holding my breath mate, just requested when they have a truly firm date to let me know as I want a good few weeks notice so I can move the Abarth on as their trade in offer was £9000 which not to bad but I think I can get around 12k for it which is not bad considering I paid just under 11k just over a year ago for it.

The finance deal is great, 7k down, £299 a month and then a final payment of around 18k after 24 months interest free.

OcUK Staff
OP
FYI, it's 0% no matter the deposit. I'll probably put a lot less down if they're willing to lend free money like that.

Did not know this, thought the 0% was based on specific numbers, otherwise its 1.9% APR which to be frank is nothing anyway.

Also just seen this:

Nothing but crazy impressive it can be driven so hard on limit, on a cold damp foggy day by a none professional.

Back
Top Bottom