Prince Philip has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yup. I've yet to watch/read any news.
I made the mistake of looking at some a couple of times and following some links to twitter - wow, so much venom and vitriol out there over the death of an old man. Some people must live very sad lives.

Soldato
I can’t recall much about the TV coverage, but the morons wailing and gnashing their teeth outside the railings of Kensington Palace, and spilling out into Kensington Gore and Kensington High Street gave me the raving zig.

I have to be honest, at first, I felt sad for Diana for like a day, but when I saw that over-reaction that the whole nation was acting like it was someone in their own family has died, it kind of made me recoil and snapped me back and realise it was all a bit insane. I felt nothing and carried on while people were going nuts for like 2 weeks.

I have no idea if the same thing is happening now because of streaming services, gaming and the internet letting me consume my media how i wish, i don't feel i've been overrun by it like last time, anyway in a couple of days it'll be the first anniversary of my father's death and I'm focused on that.

Man of Honour
I have to be honest, at first, I felt sad for Diana for like a day, but when I saw that over-reaction that the whole nation was acting like it was someone in their own family has died, it kind of made me recoil and snapped me back and realise it was all a bit insane. I felt nothing and carried on while people were going nuts for like 2 weeks.

I too felt sad when I initially heard about Diana, let’s be fair, it’s sad to hear of anyone’s death, particularly one so young.
Then someone left the doors of the lunatic asylum open, and the nutters went gangbusters, I kept thinking that their next move would be self flagellation, à la Muslim zealots.
High Street Ken was at a standstill while they flooded from the pavement outside the Palace, so much so that if I picked up a job at Olympia, or near Earls Court Road, going to Knightsbridge or Victoria, I was forced to go south, then pick up Cromwell Road to head east, or if the job was going to Mayfair or Oxford Street, go north up Phillimore Gardens, then thread through to Kensington Church Street, thence to Bayswater Road.
Some punters thought that I was mugging them, until I reminded them of the chaos outside Kensington Palace.

Soldato
I too felt sad when I initially heard about Diana, let’s be fair, it’s sad to hear of anyone’s death, particularly one so young.
Then someone left the doors of the lunatic asylum open, and the nutters went gangbusters, I kept thinking that their next move would be self flagellation, à la Muslim zealots.

Yup, it really felt like that at the time. I was increasingly getting annoyed by all the reactions like their own nan died.

Soldato
I could be completely on the wrong track here but by any chance was the distancing from Diana anything to do with her being with a foreigner?

The way she died was horrendous.

Caporegime
I could be completely on the wrong track here but by any chance was the distancing from Diana anything to do with her being with a foreigner?

It's kind of weird to expect a family to stay on close terms with someone who is their son's ex-wife, isn't it? I'm not sure why there's any need for a more complex explanation.

The way she died was horrendous.

It was.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's kind of weird to expect a family to stay on close terms with someone who is their son's ex-wife, isn't it? I'm not sure why there's any need for a more complex explanation.
I wasnt really talking about the 'Firm' as it would appear none of them really liked her anyway. But lets not forget she was the mother of the 2nd in line to the throne. Anyway it was more aimed at people in here.

Associate
I am intrigued as to what exactly is required during 8 days of "National Mourning".

Saw a report on Sky News this morning where the reporter mentioned the fact that non-essential shops were opening tomorrow "but now obviously with a more sombre aspect to it".

Unfortunately they didnt go on to explain how a shop can open with a "more sombre aspect". Decorate the front display with black cloth ? all shop workers to wear black ? Removing all frivolous items from sale ?

It is very bizarre how the media have gone all 1950's since the death was announced.

Should I not go out this week without a black armband ?

Unfortunately they didnt go on to explain how a shop can open with a "more sombre aspect". Decorate the front display with black cloth ? all shop workers to wear black ? Removing all frivolous items from sale ?
it's really not that hard. tomorrow was going to be a great day when normality really starts to return, you cna eat out kind of, go buy clothes in stores again, and this was going to be good news all round and fill the stations of the positive look forward we have.

now instead, they are opening, but the news is taken up by the death of philip. so the news can't be telling everyone to be cheerful for the next week as they had planned.

Soldato

wow! you really have a serious problem, don't you? Everything is through the lens of bigotry for you, you really have my sympathy to go through your life in such a miserable way and I do think you have a mild obsession with social justice that's bordering on OCD.

It didn't even pop into my head at the time and or in this conversation. I was only 20 at the time and fresh out of education, I had zero interest in politics at the time.

Soldato
wow! you really have a serious problem, don't you? Everything is through the lens of bigotry for you, you really have my sympathy to go through your life in such a miserable way and I do think you have a mild obsession with social justice that's bordering on OCD.

It didn't even pop into my head at the time and or in this conversation. I was only 20 at the time and fresh out of education, I had zero interest in politics at the time.
Seriously rob as the person that is proud to have been banned by Diane Abott on twitter I dont think Im the one with 'everything through the lens of bigotry' problem or 'go through life in such a miserable way'.

Soldato
Seriously rob as the person that is proud to have been banned by Diane Abott on twitter I dont think Im the one with 'everything through the lens of bigotry' problem or 'go through life in such a miserable way'.

Lol banned by Diane Abbot.

What did he do, correct her maths? Point out some irony?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom