Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I expect many many officers will be handing in their badges and guns today.
They're going to have to re-write the training manuals at the very least.

As a white officer encountering a black person who is resisting arrest, it's now going to be a balancing act between doing your job and protecting your own ass from prosecution.

Interesting the BBC the commentators are all now saying, "This is just the start. We want to overhaul policing completely."

Given that a significant number want to abolish the police entirely (lol), this sure is interesting times.

Associate
What's next for saint George i hear their is plans to rip down Nelson's column and put a statue of George up and we all have a minutes silence and kneel before it every year.

Caporegime
I think the problem is nobody on the jury would have the bottle to give a not guilty verdict even if they believed it, group pressure, cancel culture, threats to their life when their identity is inevitably leaked by CNN. I would put money on him being cleared later on appeal when the threats of massive organised nationwide riots has subsided.

It doesn't help having the President and prominent Democrats convicting him well before the verdict either, let alone the corporate media months beforehand.

Last edited:
Soldato
The expression in his eyes when that first verdict was read out, was very much "wtf".

Absolutely no way in the world was he guilty of pre-meditated murder. The jury have obviously been influenced by the media/news, if this verdict isn't overturned. America is up a creek without a paddle.

Permabanned
What are the chances for this case to be thrown as mistrial on appeal due to pressure from including politicians? Not familiar with law system - just saying.

I'm buying it all apart from pre-mediated murder - that makes no sense to me.

Caporegime
Smart play by the establishment is if they now ensure the case is thrown out through appeal, the riots will be far greater than if the jury couldn't agree on any charge, agreed on manslaughter or acquitted the defendant.

Soldato
They're going to have to re-write the training manuals at the very least.

As a white officer encountering a black person who is resisting arrest, it's now going to be a balancing act between doing your job and protecting your own ass from prosecution.

Interesting the BBC the commentators are all now saying, "This is just the start. We want to overhaul policing completely."

Given that a significant number want to abolish the police entirely (lol), this sure is interesting times.

Simple solution. Just let blacks get on with committing crime and refuse to arrest them. See how long it takes for people to realise the problem isn't the cops.

Pet Northerner
Don
The expression in his eyes when that first verdict was read out, was very much "wtf".

Absolutely no way in the world was he guilty of pre-meditated murder. The jury have obviously been influenced by the media/news, if this verdict isn't overturned. America is up a creek without a paddle.

second degree murder in the states isn't pre-meditated. That's first degree.

Soldato
well i'm not sure what to make of that.

trickier than if it had been innocent or somewhere between, at least i could believe the jury hadn't been influenced, but this really does raise the question how much of this decision is political rather than the specifics of the trial.

a short-term attempt to prevent future disturbance then a few years down the line quietly let it get overturned on appeal once the fires have died down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom