• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6800 (XT) Owners Thread.

Permabanned
So, I managed to get a new job and had the opportunity to buy a MSI 6800 xt gaming x trio to replace a 6700xt.

Runs fine but I'm hoping to tweak it to reduce temps through undervolting. Already hit a snag though - can't control the fan speed! Any manual curve I set doesn't make much of a difference. At 45c GPU temp the fan hits up to 70%, and it hovers around 55% at 40c, which is quite loud. Am I missing something?

I'm using the Radeon software by the way.

Sounds high to me because the MSI RTX 3080's fans gets to 70-75% at full load.

Do you have coil whine?
What are your T Junctions Temps?
what are your full load temps?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Sounds high to me because the MSI RTX 3080's fans gets to 70-75% at full load.

Do you have coil whine?
What are your T Junctions Temps?
what are your full load temps?

No coil whine. I think around 80c, but main GPU temp hasn't gone above 60c but fans can ramp up to 70% before that.

Having bit of a tinker with it now.

Permabanned
No coil whine. I think around 80c, but main GPU temp hasn't gone above 60c but fans can ramp up to 70% before that.

Having bit of a tinker with it now.
Maybe AMD msi cards run hotter? I heard some AIBs do 75c on the T Junction, but with an aggressive fan curve.

Associate
I've got the Gaming X Trio. Just had a fairly long Cyberpunk session at 4k where GPU temp reached around 70C, junction was 102 and fans went up to around 2000rpm (I don't know what that is as a %age). The fans aren't annoying for me and don't seem to ramp up as quickly as yours - as soon as I exited the game, the temp dropped to 52C and the fans stopped altogether.

Permabanned
I've got the Gaming X Trio. Just had a fairly long Cyberpunk session at 4k where GPU temp reached around 70C, junction was 102 and fans went up to around 2000rpm (I don't know what that is as a %age). The fans aren't annoying for me and don't seem to ramp up as quickly as yours - as soon as I exited the game, the temp dropped to 52C and the fans stopped altogether.
Was your fan on 0% then started spinning up?
What was the average T Junction temp?As that sounds high for AMD?

Associate
Yea the fans don't spin up until it gets to about 60 I think.

Not sure about the average temp but my case cooling isn't the best so that might be a factor. I'll have another session tomorrow and do some logging.

Associate
Quick update on my high hot spot temps with my water cooled reference card with EKWB.... I tested an under volt and whilst it helped it was still getting toasty up to 90c hot spot once the water had equalised.

So I dissembled the block re-pasted the GPU with some Arctic Silver 5, tightened the screws starting at the main 4 GPU screws first then working outwards. Hot spot temps are now 60-65c after about 3hrs gaming.

Set to the Automatic/Default Preset which clocks the card boosts up to 2.4Ghz so very happy with that. :)

Permabanned
Yea the fans don't spin up until it gets to about 60 I think.

Not sure about the average temp but my case cooling isn't the best so that might be a factor. I'll have another session tomorrow and do some logging.

Quick update on my high hot spot temps with my water cooled reference card with EKWB.... I tested an under volt and whilst it helped it was still getting toasty up to 90c hot spot once the water had equalised.

So I dissembled the block re-pasted the GPU with some Arctic Silver 5, tightened the screws starting at the main 4 GPU screws first then working outwards. Hot spot temps are now 60-65c after about 3hrs gaming.

Set to the Automatic/Default Preset which clocks the card boosts up to 2.4Ghz so very happy with that. :)

Seems like these cards are put together badly?

Associate
I did exactly the same. I thought the 3070 was great but don't regret changing to the 6800xt.

I had a driver problem initially but complete driver removal and re-install cured it.

Soldato
I did exactly the same. I thought the 3070 was great but don't regret changing to the 6800xt.

I had a driver problem initially but complete driver removal and re-install cured it.
Noice :) I’ve never had one of the best cards at this current time, so looking forward to it :)

what model have you got, I’ve managed to bag an msi one

Associate
Seems like these cards are put together badly?

No. the reference card is very well put together the stock heat sink is a beast and does an excellent job as is, its a very nice bit of kit.

My particular issue was just a thermal paste/EKWB issue. Under water the hotspot should not really go above 70c ish. Seems as if the block wasn't sitting evenly across the GPU die after about 6 months use. I hope this re-fit will be fine for the next year or until a coolant flush and clean which I do every year anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom