• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6800 (XT) Owners Thread.

Soldato
TimeSpy, Diablo 4, Apex Legends
Having run benches for Hitman 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Horizon Zero Dawn and Far Cry 6 I can confirm that there is no noticeable difference beyond margin of error from running memory at 2000 vs 2150 so running VRAM at higher speeds seems pointless.

I also compared undervolting (960Mv / 2125Mhz) vs running at stock (1150Mv / 2449Mhz), Hitman 3 ran marginally better undervolted, Horizon Zero Dawn ran the same, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Far Cry 6 both ran marginally better at stock speeds. I may try to see if I can up my GPU clock speed whilst remaining game stable at ~960Mv.

Soldato
The primary reason to undervolt IMO is to reduce power draw and heat output, and therefore lower fan speeds and reduce noise. I get ~5% more performance in benchmarks, which is minor, but it also uses around 18% less power, which is huge.

Soldato
Just bumping this topic to see if anyone can give (or point me to) a down a dirty guide to trying a few undervolts? I've had my 6800XT for a few months now and loving it, but want to consider an undervolt to reduce power draw.

(I also need to get a second PCIe power cable down from the loft as I'm running a single cable with a "dual head" or whatever it is. I've read recently this is bad on a card that can be drawing up to 300W).

Associate
Just bumping this topic to see if anyone can give (or point me to) a down a dirty guide to trying a few undervolts? I've had my 6800XT for a few months now and loving it, but want to consider an undervolt to reduce power draw.

(I also need to get a second PCIe power cable down from the loft as I'm running a single cable with a "dual head" or whatever it is. I've read recently this is bad on a card that can be drawing up to 300W).
Consider just reducing the power limit only. I done this on my 6950 XT and sacrificed only a 3% drop in performance for lower temps and fan speeds… I didn’t like how the default settings ran for me.

Last edited:
Associate
Have any of you with the Nitro+ re-applied your thermal paste at any point? I was just wondering if it was an easy task. It's been a while and I want to try and refresh it and get some lower temps. I'd normally just whup it off and re-apply but I thought I'd ask if anyone had done it first ;) Any tips or info I should know etc.

Soldato
I finally got a Red Dragon card, is there a way of benchmarking to check everything is as it should be?

Rather what would you recommend for testing my system out, perhaps with some comparable results?

Sorry, it's been a while so I'm not up to date with these programs any more.

Soldato
Have any of you with the Nitro+ re-applied your thermal paste at any point? I was just wondering if it was an easy task. It's been a while and I want to try and refresh it and get some lower temps. I'd normally just whup it off and re-apply but I thought I'd ask if anyone had done it first ;) Any tips or info I should know etc.
I'll be using PTM-7950 on mine (MBA).

Last edited:
Soldato
My 6800 XT (midnight black) just arrived from the states, pretty mint and has not been taken apart. I plan on changing the TIM and wondered if anyone has used PTM-7950 on their GPU?

Soldato
My 6800 XT (midnight black) just arrived from the states, pretty mint and has not been taken apart. I plan on changing the TIM and wondered if anyone has used PTM-7950 on their GPU?

I Dunno the vendor, but replacing the tim if it's a new card is kind of a waste of time and effort. They run pretty hot anyway, so I wouldn't bother unless it's running temps outside of spec.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you manage to repaste your card? I didn't bother with mine. After doing a few tests at the time I posted everything ran /runs ok so I've left it alone for fear of making things worse :D

Back
Top Bottom