Passport Renewal - Should I Let it Expire?

Soldato
Hi all,

I had hoped to lose some COVID weight before taking a photo for my passport renewal, but that didn't work out. Passport expires this month.

If I let it expire, is it more hassle to renew than it would be while it is still active? For example, if it expires do I have to have photos signed and prove I am who I am?

Tbf I'm not as bothered anymore about taking a fat pic but thought I'd ask.

03/08/2021 - Update on this:

My passport did end up expiring in May.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to get my photo taken in a booth in our local Tesco. I had the code sent to me via email and used it in my renewal application.

Renewing the passport was so easy. It was quickly done online. All I had to do was send them my old passport. Sent on 28th July, received new, dark blue passport yesterday, 2nd August. To me that is an impressive turnaround, considering there was a weekend in there.

New passports look good. I had to sign mine, I don't remember doing that for the EU passport.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

I had hope to lose some COVID weight before taking a photo for my passport renewal, but that didn't work out. Passport expires this month.

What you need is a crash diet; lets go with intermittent fasting. Next exercise, so give me 20 jumping jacks, 50 20KG biceps curls and a 10k run.

If I let it expire, is it more hassle to renew than it would be while it is still active? For example, if it expires do I have to have photos signed and prove I am who I am?

From what I understand the main advantage of renewing is you can do so far enough in advance as to not have any issue with the queue of them being processed. The "fast track" service is significantly more expensive. Presumably there won't be any more or less need to do any background checks if you're a citizen.

Tbf I'm not as bothered anymore about taking a fat pic but thought I'd ask.

Why would you even ask if it doesn't bother you.... Don't lie to yourself.

Soldato
OP
@Cooler running strange thing is I am IF and have been for a while. My meds don't seem to help as weight gain is a side effect. Really my IF is more like OMAD at 20+ hours of fasting. But yeah I see your point. I was bothered a lot when I thought of renewing my passport. I kinda still am, but I am also starting to settle for the idea that my passport photo will be chunky me but hopefully by the time we go away somewhere I will have shed some weight.

But the burning question is this: is it any more difficult to renew a passport that expired a few months ago, compared to renewing a passport that is still active and valid?

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
It’s much easier to renew a passport than apply for a new one isn’t it?

Just renew it and get it over with.

Man of Honour
You might occasionally need it for identity purposes, etc. much easier to have it even if you don't need it IMO.

Soldato
yes I didn't think there were any ramifications if you let it run out, as I did last year,
hadn't they changed/reduced pricing a few years back following review of profits ? if they were about to put price up soon, I might get it done.

Soldato
It doesn't make a difference these days whether you let it expire or not. It's the same procedure.

It seems a bit of a con in my opinion. A photo money maker. Same with the photo card driving license.

Man of Honour
I've done it both ways.

Current passport - just complete the online form.

Expired passport - requires a counter signature from a professional e.g. doctor or teacher, so a bit more faff.

Hate that whole countersignature thing - very few people who qualify have known me that long, quite a few places won't do it these days, etc.

Especially the last year I've kept myself to myself mostly as well so fallen out of contact with some people who would have done it in the past.

Soldato
It doesn't make a difference these days whether you let it expire or not. It's the same procedure.

It seems a bit of a con in my opinion. A photo money maker. Same with the photo card driving license.
Ayye the classic 10 year long play for Max Spielman/Snappy Snaps to make 6 quid.

Soldato
Hate that whole countersignature thing - very few people who qualify have known me that long, quite a few places won't do it these days, etc.

Especially the last year I've kept myself to myself mostly as well so fallen out of contact with some people who would have done it in the past.

So how you going to get it signed?

Back
Top Bottom