• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
I would love to know what OCUK's stock purchase price is for those cards that they are selling at 3k.
They're buying at the same cost now as they always were, they've just seen that people are selling cards for £3000 on ebay and thought "hold up, we can milk these fat cows for even more money!"

Soldato
Yeh, unfortunately the Overclocker guys seems to have decided the best way to beat scalpers is to join them, and have cranked up their GPU prices for maximum overdrive profit margins.

Meanwhile the more 'corporate' companies like Currys, are selling cards at RRP. Go figure.

They are nowhere near RRP at Currys, I think you need to go look again at actual prices of real items in stock, they are also a lot more expensive than before. Everyone seems to use Currys as an example and truth is they are just as bad as everywhere else and have been for many months now, their 3080s are over double the original prices they have up now of items they actually had stock to sell. The ones that have the original MSRP are items they never had or have in stock so the price has never changed from day one, the day they get stock the price will change and show the real price like their other gpus that they had stock in. Also good luck with the bots on that site.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They're buying at the same cost now as they always were
I highly doubt that is true that the cost is the same as 8 months ago, as now everyone will be wanting a piece of the pie all down the food chain and that will very likely result in higher purchasing costs. The profit margins are likely higher now though than when they sold for MSRP.

Associate
I highly doubt that is true that the cost is the same as 8 months ago, as now everyone will be wanting a piece of the pie all down the food chain and that will very likely result in higher purchasing costs. The profit margins are likely higher now though than when they sold for MSRP.

Absolutely correct. Anyone who thinks that costs are the same as they were 12 months ago is - at best - very naive. The global supply chain for so many components / raw materials is in a terribly mess right now, with costs rising considerably. That’s if the components are even available - for my business, many of the components we use to manufacture are either on crazy lead-times (26-52 weeks is not uncommon) or on allocation! For high demand products, the situation is further magnified. GPUs have entered the ‘perfect storm’.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
They're buying at the same cost now as they always were, they've just seen that people are selling cards for £3000 on ebay and thought "hold up, we can milk these fat cows for even more money!"
feel free to share your supplier with me, I'd love to be able to buy my stock for the same price as I was eight months ago before the manufacturers PUBLICLY announced that they were having to increase pricing! Before news came out about tenfold increases in shipping costs. Before news came out about silicon shortages, memory price increases and various other shortages causing bidding wars for parts.

I really wouldn't mind people being narrow minded, belligerent and suspicious, IF what they were spouting hadn't already been contradicted by numerous media headlines!

You can choose not to believe Gibbo and I when we tell you how much things cost, even when we share screenshots, but when independent people TELL YOU how bad things actually are right now, you have to be a total fool to hold on to your delusion!

Last edited:
Soldato
feel free to share your supplier with me, I'd love to be able to buy my stock for the same price as I was eight months ago before the manufacturers PUBLICLY announced that they were having to increase pricing! Before news came out about tenfold increases in shipping costs. Before news came out about silicon shortages, memory price increases and various other shortages causing bidding wars for parts.

I really wouldn't mind people being narrow minded, belligerent and suspicious, IF what they were spouting hadn't already been contradicted by numerous media headlines!

You can choose not to believe Gibbo and I when we tell you how much things cost, even when we share screenshots, but when independent people TELL YOU how bad things actually are right now, you have to be a total fool to hold on to your delusion!

Sorry, but OCUK have become a laughing stock for their pricing during the past few months. Yes costs have increased, but they're clearly being oppertunistic also and taking advantage of the situation.. It's a company, I get it, they exist to make profit - but your comment isn't the whole truth. You're no better than Ebay scalpers.

Associate
You're no better than Ebay scalpers

I straight-up disagree with that. If I had purchased a faulty card from an eBay scalper (let's give this hypothetical scalper the benefit of the doubt, that they didn't know it was faulty) then do you think I'd have ever been able to get a replacement or refund?

OCUK are organising me a replacement card and have also indicated that they've got a like-for-like card (of a different brand) which they could ship to me instead. Alternatively, I could totally get a refund for my dead card if I wanted to (but I'm OK to hang on a little longer if it means actually getting a new GPU in my system).

This is 100% why I wasn't willing to purchase from eBay but was happy to spend ~the same amount of money with an actual reputable retailer. That I got a faulty card (and on my first ever order from OCUK) was just bad luck, but well within the outcomes I was prepared-for when I placed the order.

Associate
Yeh, unfortunately the Overclocker guys seems to have decided the best way to beat scalpers is to join them, and have cranked up their GPU prices for maximum overdrive profit margins.

Meanwhile the more 'corporate' companies like Currys, are selling cards at RRP. Go figure.

Just above RRP i think but not treating their customers like idiots who know no better , they had a 3080 Gigabyte Aorus Extreme WB ( watercooled ) listed last week for £1050 and was actually for sale ( for a few minutes ) they also list the same Gigabyte Aircooled cards that are for sale on here and they are £1050 while on here .... £1200:rolleyes: Overclockers , if your paying to much from your supplier than maybe its time to find a new supplier as other are managing to sell them cheaper and not pass that extra cost on to us your customers !

Associate
I straight-up disagree with that. If I had purchased a faulty card from an eBay scalper (let's give this hypothetical scalper the benefit of the doubt, that they didn't know it was faulty) then do you think I'd have ever been able to get a replacement or refund?

OCUK are organising me a replacement card and have also indicated that they've got a like-for-like card (of a different brand) which they could ship to me instead. Alternatively, I could totally get a refund for my dead card if I wanted to (but I'm OK to hang on a little longer if it means actually getting a new GPU in my system).

This is 100% why I wasn't willing to purchase from eBay but was happy to spend ~the same amount of money with an actual reputable retailer. That I got a faulty card (and on my first ever order from OCUK) was just bad luck, but well within the outcomes I was prepared-for when I placed the order.

You would be able to open a dispute with eBay/Paypal whom would most likely find in your favour. Failing that, you'd be able to issue a chargeback through your credit card company or even possibly send it back to the manufacturer.

It's great that OCUK are organising you a replacement card; but that's literally the bare minimum that they have to offer in order to comply with UK law.

There is no chance that the cost price of the 3090 is anywhere near £3k and this scalping has really left a sour taste in my mouth with regards to using OCUK again in the future.

Associate
You would be able to open a dispute with eBay/Paypal whom would most likely find in your favour. Failing that, you'd be able to issue a chargeback through your credit card company or even possibly send it back to the manufacturer.

It's great that OCUK are organising you a replacement card; but that's literally the bare minimum that they have to offer in order to comply with UK law.

There is no chance that the cost price of the 3090 is anywhere near £3k and this scalping has really left a sour taste in my mouth with regards to using OCUK again in the future.

It's about 2k$ or more ex VAT

Associate
Please don't make random statements without backing it up with links or further explanation of how you know that information is accurate.

I have an invoice dated 09/04/21 from the other place for an ASUS RTX 3090 Tuf OC - £1860.

So they can sell the GPU for this amount and still make a profit.

Around 2 weeks ago the same store was selling EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra with gaming chair for under £2100.

So I believe that outcome can only be either OCUK is taking advantage of the supply and demand and massively increasing their prices.

Or their suppliers are overcharging them.

Even if OCUK are paying more I cannot believe its to the extent that they have to sell the GPU's for nearly £1,000 more their main competitors.

Associate
w00t

As coincidence would have it, I just had an update to say that my replacement GPU is due to ship today. That's handy, because I should have it in my system ahead of the long weekend. A long weekend of 4k gaming I'm hoping :D

All-in that's a pretty decent turnaround, particularly during a stock drought. I originally ordered it on Weds 12th, received next day but didn't install until Friday 14th. I reported it faulty on Sunday 16th, it was collected from me on Tuesday 18th, confirmed faulty by Friday 21st and I am likely to have the replacement in my hands by tomorrow (Thurs 27th).

Overall I'm pretty pleased with that and I'd say OCUK have made the best of a bad situation (bad through no fault of their own, at that). Again, this is precisely why I didn't mind paying that price to buy from a proper retailer but I wouldn't have even considered going via eBay. Now I just need to canvass my friends to find out if any of them want my 2nd hand 2060 ...

Back
Top Bottom