Steering wheel locks

Associate
I have my front seat electrics on a switch in my van, they are out of a range rover, if i recline and move them all the way forward its impossible to sit in the seat and they are built like tanks, it would take some serious force to be able to move them manually and im not sure you could do so without breaking them.

Soldato
However some new cars have a fob that goes to sleep after not detecting motion, thus preventing relay attacks. Audi, BMW, Ford and Mercedes have this. Don't about other manufacturers. It wasn't that long ago that cars could be stolen with a 50p screwdriver or a coat hanger...

While that’s useful when you have put your keys down in your house say overnight, it’s not helpful at all when the remote relay is in someone’s hand walking behind you as you leave your car in a car park. It also doesn’t help with replay attacks.

Underboss
While that’s useful when you have put your keys down in your house say overnight, it’s not helpful at all when the remote relay is in someone’s hand walking behind you as you leave your car in a car park. It also doesn’t help with replay attacks.

thats a very good point re: car parks

is there anything you can do if you have a keyless entry feature ? can you disable the keyless entry in the menu somewhere ?
idd rather press a button than leave it open to attacks

Soldato
thats a very good point re: car parks

is there anything you can do if you have a keyless entry feature ? can you disable the keyless entry in the menu somewhere ?
idd rather press a button than leave it open to attacks

I can only speak from experience with Toyota, keyless entry/starting can be turned off via the car menu system on the previous and current generation of my car (RAV4) and you can also use a button press combo to prevent the key broadcasting (low power mode), that won’t prevent replay (RollJam) style attacks from pressing the button to unlock it, but it’s better than nothing. Toyota have also implemented the key motion sensing system discussed earlier on current generation fobs.

My options are basically as follows:
Turn off keyless - annoying, still vulnerable to RollJam (replay) attacks.

Leave it on and mitigate - you use the fob to lock/unlock and put the fob into power saving mode each time when leaving the car. You could also use a faraday pouch and obviously some form of insurance approved steering lock. Realistically you only need to make your car less desirable than the next easiest car to steal and in my case a 7 y/o 2ltr 2WD Toyota diesel worth under 10K doesn’t seem an obvious target, but I would rather not be proved wrong.

Having experimented with disabling keyless, it’s annoying - I have to literally touch the key to the start button to disable the immobiliser and allow starting, it’s the same with each restart, other than the start/stop system, so you end up having to keep the keys accessible. If they had fitted a key-slot, it would have worked better.

Caporegime
I always figure that if someone is going to steal your car, they are going to do it (or at least try) whatever you do.

I would prefer the convenience of keyless/not having to faff about with some massive steering lock everytime i get in and out of the sodding car.

Also, the easier the better, because if an attempt has been made to break into it and/or it has been stolen, i wouldn't want it back. Thats what insurance is for.

Soldato
Depends on the lock core, a lot of these (whilst relatively well made physically) unfortunately come with cheap wafer cores which can be raked open in a couple of seconds by someone with no skill at all.

Yup. You can even buy tools for it.

Or cordless cutters.

Soldato
Yup. You can even buy tools for it.

You don't even need a special tool, I've opened wafers with a paper clip and screwdriver before.

Regarding keyless - the Zoe I had had the best system IMO:

If you lock the car by walking away, the keyless works as expected - walk up to the car, push the button on the handle, it unlocks.

If you lock the car using the button on the fob, it can only be unlocked by pushing the button on the fob. Easy and intuitive, no need for motion sensors/sleep mode/faraday bags etc.

Soldato
I’ve lost a key for a padlock (honest :p) and have been astonished by the number of ways that they can be opened.

Yeah, after watching a few Lockpicking Lawyer videos on youtube, I'm a lot more picky about which locks I use! Most of them are nothing more than a symbol of security :(

My elderly neighbour was very dismayed at how easily I "opened" the cheap Chinese lock on her garden gate using the 2 spanner method after she lost the key - and yet wanted to go out and buy another one of the same £2 lock to replace it! (I ordered her a decent one instead)

Soldato
I'm actually looking at buying a steering wheel lock and stumbled on his thread.

Been looking at the StopLock Pro / Elite, and the Disklok.

Can anyone give first hand experience to which is best?

Soldato
Yeah, after watching a few Lockpicking Lawyer videos on youtube, I'm a lot more picky about which locks I use! Most of them are nothing more than a symbol of security :(

My elderly neighbour was very dismayed at how easily I "opened" the cheap Chinese lock on her garden gate using the 2 spanner method after she lost the key - and yet wanted to go out and buy another one of the same £2 lock to replace it! (I ordered her a decent one instead)

I watched someone open a crap Chinese bike lock with just a hammer :D

They like using the cheapest metals availible.

Soldato
Most security is simply for show, I have a Milenco, Sold Secure Gold rather than Thatcham and similar price, but easier to put on than a Disklok. It’s also slim enough to slide down the side of the seat.

Back
Top Bottom