Mould

Associate
Has anyone had any experience with mould in there bathrooms and how they treated it?

Roll back 2013, We bought the house off plan, first time buyers. We got mould in the first 6-12 months! and it was bad!!! Persimmons had to completely strip the En-suite and re-do it twice.
They even put another extractor fan right about the shower to try eliminate the moister, However the mould has not returned not as bad yet. it's on the tiles/grout and a little on the celling

I did re-paint it when it was gone and used dulux bathroom paint.

Any idea how to remove it properly?

Soldato
Mould in bathrooms is as a result of condensing water on surfaces - usually above showers and around Windows.

mould and mildew on grout is as a result of standing water which should be wiped off and the associated tiles etc cleaned once a week with a strong purpose made cleaner - cilit bang do a good one.

Preventing mould on the ceiling can be achieved with good ventilation (extractor fan and windows open for 15-30 mins post shower) and the use of anti mould paint on the bathroom ceilings and walls if needed

Soldato
Mould in bathrooms is as a result of condensing water on surfaces - usually above showers and around Windows.

mould and mildew on grout is as a result of standing water which should be wiped off and the associated tiles etc cleaned once a week with a strong purpose made cleaner - cilit bang do a good one.

Preventing mould on the ceiling can be achieved with good ventilation (extractor fan and windows open for 15-30 mins post shower) and the use of anti mould paint on the bathroom ceilings and walls if needed

This basically.

Make sure the trickle vent on the window is open all year round.

Extractor fans should always be used and on a timer as a minimum. In the winter always leave the extractor/lights going for longer to make sure the room is cleared fully.

If the extractor isn’t enough, consider if you need to use an inline extractor, they can be bigger/more powerful.

After you have finished showering, use a squeegee to remove the water from all surfaces (including the tray) before getting out. Takes 30 seconds.

Have you checked you don’t have a leak somewhere in the wall/roof?

Soldato
Fans only work if there’s a source of fresh air. Open the door(depends how liberal your family is), put a vent on the door, open the window as well etc.

For a mould resistant paint try zinsser perma white.

Permabanned
The first good way to get rid of moisture is to have a fan, the second is to ensure the room is heated, the third is to ensure it's ventilated. Fitting a fan is obvious. If the room doesn't have a radiator or it's not switched on frequently enough then leave a window partially open all the time.

Associate
OP
The first good way to get rid of moisture is to have a fan, the second is to ensure the room is heated, the third is to ensure it's ventilated. Fitting a fan is obvious. If the room doesn't have a radiator or it's not switched on frequently enough then leave a window partially open all the time.

We have 2 extractors, one directly over the shower, and another in the middle of the room. They stay on for at least 20-25 minutes.

We have the windows in the latch when showering and I open them up once finished. I think I'm going to have to completely remove all the mould, and re-paint it with Anti mould paint.

Soldato
We have 2 extractors, one directly over the shower, and another in the middle of the room. They stay on for at least 20-25 minutes.

We have the windows in the latch when showering and I open them up once finished. I think I'm going to have to completely remove all the mould, and re-paint it with Anti mould paint.

Somethings really not right then if what you're claiming is true.

20-30 minutes after you've had a shower, have a feel of the walls and ceiling, are they bone dry or still feeling damp. If the latter then the room isn't being ventilated well enough.

Soldato

Are the fans actually working? Have you physically checked them?

Anti mould paint, that is treating the symptom. You really need to treat the cause here.

Man of Honour
if the mould has taken onto the grout, i find putting thick bleach on the grout and leaving it for a couple of hours helps

Soldato
Do you get rid of all the standing water after you have had a shower with a squeegee? It’s one of the most effective ways of stopping mould in bathrooms alongside a fan. I’d also be running the fan until the room is actually dry as said above, that can take an hour or more in the winter.

You’ll be surprised how much water there actually is clinging to the walls and tray that doesn’t drain away. The water has to go somewhere and that’s into the air as it dries.

Do you know what the humidity levels are in the room? You can get a meter off eBay for a few quid to check. If it’s consistently over 60%, you’ll have issues.

Permabanned

Then the trickle vent is not enough. Crack the window open on the secure ventilation setting ( so it is about 1/4 inch open ) and leave it that way permanently.
But yes, once you get mould you need to clean it off. A bleach water solution is enough ( not the best but it is enough if you have solved the ventilation problem ).
I have seen bathrooms with no ventilation fans and no heaters in them and they are just fine if the window is left cracked open.

Soldato
My ensuite has no windows and one tiny extractor. After each shower the door is left wide open to let air circulate. Also redo the grouting and silicone with high quality mould resistant type. Highly recommend Dow 785+ for silicone. The stuff these builders use is rubbish.

My sister bought a persimmon and had the same issues, persimmon came back and redid bits but never solved it. In the end I redid it with quality materials and its been ok for over a year. Plus educating her on ventilation helped :D.

Back
Top Bottom