How do you all make your Cheese on toast?

Permabanned
As you may have guessed I'm about to turn the grill on...
Do any of you have a special recipe of your own for making cheese on toast?
Do you add some onion and tomato to it like myself?

2a1cmi.jpg

Soldato
Depends on how i feel, sometimes i'll have some kind of chutney or pickle with it, sometimes it's Worcester sauce.

My uncle once told me that he grates cheese and then puts it in a jug with some milk overnight, Then the next day puts that on bread. Sounds weird, but tasted great.

Soldato
I think the real question is do you make Cheese on Toast or Toasted Cheese on bread. Dont do cheese on toast often, but I will part toast the bread, fully on one side and 50% on the other, then add the cheese to the 50% side and finish. My "friend" at uni used to toast one side of the bread, then stick cheese on the untoasted side and stick that under the grill.

For me a little freshly ground black pepper is all I need with the cheese.

Caporegime
You can just make it with 1 piece of bread if you want. But it is more fried bread....

1 - Spread butter on bread.
2 - Put it on the pan until it's brown
3 - lift bread off pan. Put down some cheese, wait for it to melt and then a bit more.
4 - Put bread on top of cheese, wait a few seconds, turn off heat, lift slowly and hold.

Soldato
I seem to be famous around these parts with my cheese on toast :o Happened to make some builders a slice earlier in the year and he ended up asking me for some very day, lesson learned, don't set precedences!

1. Lightly toast in the toaster, turn on grill
2. Butter, add sliced to tomato, cheese and LOTS of cracked black pepper
3. Grill for 2-3 minutes until the cheese just starts to melt
4. Add lashings of lea and perrins and grill until browned

It's my daily staple :D

Soldato
Cheese on toast for me, is best made with fresh white bread, extra mature cheddar, a quick grind of black pepper and topped with a little HP Sauce.

Toast one side of the bread fully, toast the other side just long enough for it to start browning, put the slices cheese on top, wait until the cheese has fully melted and is bubbling, pull out, grind pepper on it, wait for it to cool down to eating temp and spread a little HP sauce on it.

Heaven.

Associate
Pre grill bread lightly (just so it starts to firm up, not change colour). Grate cheese into bowl (i like a mix of cheddar and red leicester), add 1 whole whisked egg and mix. Generous splash of worcestesterestershire sauce and stick it under the grill. Good season of black pepper and serve.

Back
Top Bottom