This Business and Moment...

Soldato
ha leaving bonus! :p

Exactly

I'm already expecting ~11 days holiday so it's already a nice bonus around the £1500 mark, but if i get almost double that i'll be smiling all the way to the bank! Might spend it on a bike. The new offices are ~6 miles away with showers. I've already contemplated running in the odd time, but cycling might also be quite good. Especially as i could just go via the canal or through a nature reserve (albeit a longer ~8 mile ride).

Soldato
Appreciate the feedback.

I've applied for jobs internally and always seems to be the way that the person who gets it was told to apply anyway as they were lined up. I did have a call from a manager encouraging me to apply for an internal role last year as an account manager but a lot of business to business telesales calls were involved which is not something I think I would be good at. Its a tough one leaving something I'm comfortable in but as you say if I'm bitter now I'd be even more bitter come 5 years.

Unless you are moving into a more senior role then its time to move on.

Being comfortable in a job for so long can also be the biggest killer of progression. Especially when you are the one seeing people coming and going and surpassing you. Then you will become bitter! :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hmm ethical dilemma for you all.

We don't have a proper HR department, our HR is just done by the local office accountant. I had to submit my holiday form and i've only take 1 day so far this year (runs Jan to Dec).

I've no idea how he's worked this out as i only get 25 days entitlement, so having worked ~6 months, my calculation would be i get 12 days accrued. Minus the day i've taken and i was expecting a little bonus of 11 days holiday pay. However his message said i'm owed 19 days.

I now have a few options

1 - Say nothing now, assuming they'll work it out properly before payday. Pray for free money.
2 - Say something now to point this out
3 - Wait until payday to see the outcome. If i get extra then go nuts
4 - Wait until payday to see the outcome. If i get extra then stick to one side just in case
5 - Wait until payday to see the outcome. If i get extra then tell them and get them to recalculate it
Definitely #4.

Man of Honour
Bleh new outsourced expenses system, submit claim, rejected with no explanation, can't contact, so either have to keep submitting new claims until whatever the problem is goes away and/or it bugs someone enough they contact me or bother someone higher up the company who'll probably just have it done through payroll :s

Hate it when stuff goes like that, at least provide a reason or a way to contact someone...

Soldato
New job applied for.
Had 2 interviews with them so far with a 3rd lined up.
More senior role, working from home and flexible working hours. Company seems great and the 3 people currently spoken to seem nice also.
No salary discussions have taken place but I’m assuming it’s more than my current salary due to the more senior role, they are aware of current salary.

I’d negotiate if they offered the job. Is that the right way of going about it?

Associate
Was pretty certain I was going to get offered a new role after several interviews at another company. All seemed to go really well and I was told I'd be called within 24 hours of the last interview to confirm if I have it or not. 10 days later and still no call or email to say if I have it or not. Pretty annoying as it all seemed to go so well especially the last interview, would have at least expected an acknowledgement that I was unsuccessful after 3 interviews. Was going to chase it up but the fact they haven't sent me anything despite previously being in constant contact with me says all I need to know.

At least I've acknowledged I need to leave my current place of work after 10 years so the search continues. I'm disappointed as the job I interviewed for was a role that was perfect for me but got to move on.

Soldato
OP
Was going to chase it up but the fact they haven't sent me anything despite previously being in constant contact with me says all I need to know.
I'd still chase it, but you're right. It'd leave a sour taste in my mouth.
I was once notified I didn't get a role by accident in CC on an email between the internal HR and Hiring manager, after AGES left after the last interview as well. I hadn't chased as I realised in the process that I really didn't want that role anyway, but the whole management of it was a sham.

Soldato
I’d negotiate if they offered the job. Is that the right way of going about it?

Always negotiate. It costs them a lot of time and money to start the recruitment process all over again, so for the sake of a few grand (presumably) they’re not going to retract their offer.

I got exactly what I wanted when I joined one of the FAANG companies very recently after negotiating.

Soldato
Always negotiate. It costs them a lot of time and money to start the recruitment process all over again, so for the sake of a few grand (presumably) they’re not going to retract their offer.

I got exactly what I wanted when I joined one of the FAANG companies very recently after negotiating.
Yeah I will negotiate, I think I may have worded my question incorrectly.

was more the case of should I wait until I’m offered the job before negotiating? Because at that point I know they would want me rather than discussing salary through the interviews.

Soldato
OP
I've just been given the heads up by a colleague who I used to work for and get on really well with, that I'm going to be given the task of leading the project for information classification here.

I have no idea how this relates to me, it's not in my space and certainly leading a project on top of my other ever changing list of priorities should not be. It's the second time this week that it's happened. I've been added to the core team for handling bloody role mapping from other business units to ours... wtf has that got to do with me?! The other guy on it has a team of 2 people he makes do all this work. Muggins here has to do it all himself.

Man of Honour
Was pretty certain I was going to get offered a new role after several interviews at another company. All seemed to go really well and I was told I'd be called within 24 hours of the last interview to confirm if I have it or not. 10 days later and still no call or email to say if I have it or not. Pretty annoying as it all seemed to go so well especially the last interview, would have at least expected an acknowledgement that I was unsuccessful after 3 interviews. Was going to chase it up but the fact they haven't sent me anything despite previously being in constant contact with me says all I need to know
Probably means either:
a) You are the 'backup candidate' in case they don't get their preferred candidate over the line. In some ways this isn't a bad thing in that they would still consider hiring you
b) They have terrible admin.

I've seen both before. Interviewed somewhere a few months back, got on great with the senior hiring manager, he actually told me at the end of the interview he was putting me through to final stage to speak to a couple of his team (as in literally said it would happen, not a "the next step in the process is X, you should hear something in the next couple of days" type thing). I knew one of the others I needed to speak with was out of the office so it wouldn't be until the following week. Time ticks on, radio silence. Got the agent to chase them up a couple of times, it turned out they'd had an internal referral come through and doubtless wanted to keep me around in case that didn't work out.

As for b), I had 3 interviews with an extremely successful 'online bookstore' with a huge number of employees and then radio silence from the dedicated recruiter. In the end I had to email their generic candidate support to get a response that I was unsuccessful (no reason given). Made no sense to me, surely they could just send out a generic one-liner to unsuccessful candidates as this would save them on admin time having to answer people chasing it up?

Man of Honour
Yeah I will negotiate, I think I may have worded my question incorrectly.

was more the case of should I wait until I’m offered the job before negotiating? Because at that point I know they would want me rather than discussing salary through the interviews.
Negotiate at the end, the only benefit from negotiating earlier is to identify if you are too far apart on expectations and hence can save everyone's time by withdrawing from the process. One would assume that if you are not expecting a huge rise on your current salary, this shouldn't be a stumbling block given they know what you are on now.

Depending on who is on an interview panel, it can also be a bit awkward discussing salary at interview, because potentially not all the panelists may be privy to salary information within the team. The panel may not even be fully empowered to negotiate there and then, they might need to discuss with HR or a more senior manager.

Soldato
Negotiate at the end, the only benefit from negotiating earlier is to identify if you are too far apart on expectations and hence can save everyone's time by withdrawing from the process. One would assume that if you are not expecting a huge rise on your current salary, this shouldn't be a stumbling block given they know what you are on now.

Depending on who is on an interview panel, it can also be a bit awkward discussing salary at interview, because potentially not all the panelists may be privy to salary information within the team. The panel may not even be fully empowered to negotiate there and then, they might need to discuss with HR or a more senior manager.

Cheers.

It’s only a very small company.

initial interview was with the office manager

second interview was with the associate director, office manager and guy currently in the role.

third one is with the managing director

I don’t really have any expectations in regards to salary but based on my current salary based compared to colleagues I’d expect a 5k increase ish.

Caporegime
Ah, that perhaps explains it.

It's actually unusual not to have been asked upfront unless you've applied directly to these companies rather than via a recruiter - often, at least when going via a recruiter, they'll try to nail you down to a price before the process even starts, they'll want to know your current salary and/or your expectations or will throw a figure out and ask if you'd accept if you were offered that amount (often based on your current salary etc..).

If you get to the end of the process and they simply offer you the job and give you a figure then that's great, it's super easy to simply ask for a bit more, even if the figure offered is one you're quite happy with.

Man of Honour
Recruiters will want to deal with it up front to avoid wasting time and then falling over at the negotiation stage. Although you need to be wary of 'advert inflation' where they sometimes overcook the money on offer slightly or say something vague like "the range is x-y but they might go higher for someone they really like". I'm never really sure if that is them stringing you along or not so if I wouldn't be happy with the top of the range I am super explicit early on about that. I once applied for a job advertised at £x to £x+5k, then towards the end the agent said it was actually £x-5k to £x. I ended up joining on £x+3k.

Also need to be wary of recruiters blending in bonuses etc into the headline salary, and nail them down on what the basic is.

Soldato
OP
Anyone with 16-17yr old kids that drive you bloody mental when it comes to getting off their arse? My 16yr old (17 in Jan) has been on holiday now since May and I said he should get a summer job. I was working from 14. Hell, I was washing cars at 10 and so many things in between. I did it all off my own back, no one helped me. All my jobs I've got.
It seems trying to get blood out a stone trying to get him to understand anything relating to his future career. I keep doing all the legwork and opening doors and he'll say all the right things to us and then do **** all about it.
Me and the wife are both scrappy little hustlers so we've got that drive and have always worked and grafted from being young, but he's just impossible to motivate. He has had an allowance all year, a decent one I'd say for the bugger all he does around here, yet he's spunked it all on games and crap. Now he needs summer clothes and trainers and funnily enough has **** all money and is like "clothes are expensive" JESUS WAKE UP MAN!!

Needed a parental rant there. Anyone?

Man of Honour
Bleh new outsourced expenses system, submit claim, rejected with no explanation, can't contact, so either have to keep submitting new claims until whatever the problem is goes away and/or it bugs someone enough they contact me or bother someone higher up the company who'll probably just have it done through payroll :s

Hate it when stuff goes like that, at least provide a reason or a way to contact someone...

So asked for it to be looked into... got a email back from generic mailbox "notifications@<3rdparty>.com"

"
Regarding claim 342424234324

Sent back to a member of staff

Rejected due to processing error or errors

See me to resubmit
"

#facepalm#

So no more clarity aside from being a processing error what was actually wrong and no idea who me is.

Back
Top Bottom