Wheel Aligment Question

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I went for a Laser Geo alignment yesterday which was carried out on a Hunter, the settings were fairly consistent among the wheels apart from Front Left Wheel, the camber is Positive compared to the right side.

The left front wheel has some curb rash around the edge from last owner, as its the only one with curbing my guess is they hit a curb and potentially damaged something in the suspension. My guess at the moment is either Lower Control Arm or Upper Control Arm is bent ?

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
That's a bit of an extreme view isn't it. That toe is within factory spec!

Front left lower arm needs replacing.
I'm just trying to use logic, looking at the wheel it doesn't have a chunk of the Rim missing, however the curb rash is pretty nasty... I'm not surprised though, lady owner...

So my logical thinking was right? I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, just thought that since it was side impact in the lower part it would be the Lower Control Arm.

image.png

Should I change both, or just the LCA?

Associate
Lol at least they tested the correct car.

I once used Kwik Fit (yes I know) and when they showed me the print out they had spec'ed it to an Ibiza ST, as opposed to a Leon ST! :p

Soldato
Think of it logically. It'll be a bent lower arm moving the lower of the wheel inwards, or McPherson strut or hub bent moving the top of the wheel out.

The weakest part, and easiest thing to damage is the lower arm.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I'll order the lower control arm, swap it over and go for a adjustment on that one wheel alone. Thanks all!

Now what brand to go for, BMW want 149£ that's a no no. :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Is it generally a good idea to replace suspension stuff in pairs so would it be best to do the lower arms on both sides?

Upgrade to M4 arms, you know you want to :p

That did cross my mind, do you know if the rear underbody brace is actually worth it? I'm comparing this to TOMs bracing I had on the chaser and this looks comically thin and fragile in comparison. lol

Soldato
That did cross my mind, do you know if the rear underbody brace is actually worth it? I'm comparing this to TOMs bracing I had on the chaser and this looks comically thin and fragile in comparison. lol
https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89536&p=1161125#p1160972

When I had my M135i I noticed, especially at speed, that the back end felt VERY floaty and almost disconnected from the car. It gave me a bit of a fright going over the crest at Schwedenkreuz which really unsettled the back end of the car. I didn't realise that these braces were not fitted to the 5 door versions at the time, but reading around people at least believe they make a difference.

Soldato
I'll order the lower control arm, swap it over and go for a adjustment on that one wheel alone. Thanks all!

Now what brand to go for, BMW want 149£ that's a no no. :p
£149 sounds like a bargain for a genuine part?! Normally they're like £300+ genuine and £120-150 for OE parts.

TRW make a lot of the suspension components for BMW.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89536&p=1161125#p1160972

When I had my M135i I noticed, especially at speed, that the back end felt VERY floaty and almost disconnected from the car. It gave me a bit of a fright going over the crest at Schwedenkreuz which really unsettled the back end of the car. I didn't realise that these braces were not fitted to the 5 door versions at the time, but reading around people at least believe they make a difference.
I've the PowerFlex Polybush Inserts, they made a massive difference hence why I don't think the brace will have that much of an effect.

Edit:

I ordered... M4 LCA & TS and H&R Springs. Had the car just over a month and soon will be 2-3k into mods :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
:D

I'm trying to find out if the M2/3/4 Diffs are different to the F21 and the size of the casing. I might be able to make my own LSD, like you can with some Jap cars the parts are interchangeable.
I believe they probably are, plus there's software & control modules as they're electronic too...Birds do a diff package I think, might be worth looking at them?

Back
Top Bottom