• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU panic selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It's looking positive. More and more cards appearing in auctions, more stock showing up at shops. Funny to see the "great scalper fire sale" that's been going on. Prices are dropping rapidly.

Associate
On that auction site you can click the 'Sold' items in left column during search results.
And it shows two 3090 FEs sold today for £1840.
After eBay/PayPal fees that leaves just £200 profit? All that scalping effort for £200?

Associate
After eBay/PayPal fees that leaves just £200 profit? All that scalping effort for £200?

On that note, ebay no longer use Paypal and you have to direct transfer from your bank.

But the fees to ebay are higher now.

When the 3080 Ti FE all sold out on launch day, people were trying to list them for up to £2800.

The only way this stops is if people stop buying (brand new) GPUs from ebay.

Soldato
Ebay regularly run offers where you get a huge discount on fees. The most recent one ended last Monday and reduced them to 2% for any items listed over that weekend (even if they sell later), so if they were listed then it would only be £37 in fees.

Soldato
Ebay regularly run offers where you get a huge discount on fees. The most recent one ended last Monday and reduced them to 2% for any items listed over that weekend (even if they sell later), so if they were listed then it would only be £37 in fees.
Still that's a bit of risk for making just 400 quid if the buyer turns around and says the box arrived empty.

Soldato
Still that's a bit of risk for making just 400 quid if the buyer turns around and says the box arrived empty.
Well yeah, I hate selling anything on Ebay. Too many scammers, scumbags and morons to deal with. I assume it must work out the majority of the time for the scalpers though, or the problem wouldn't be so bad.

Soldato
Just goes to show how much mining was contributing to the high prices though when scalped 3080s have dropped from £1800 to £1300 in less than a month of ETC tanking.

Man of Honour
I guess on the flipside you could consider that despite changes in the cryptomarket, cards are still being sold for big profits. Obviously it could still have further to fall, but should one also be worried that prices are STILL extremely high, EVEN AFTER the much awaited mining profitability drop has landed? It's kind of like, people have been praying for this all year, now it has arrived and the supposed glut of GPUs at bargain-basement prices is yet to materialise. To me it's not really a fire sale when items are being flipped for hundreds of pounds in markup.

Soldato
On that auction site you can click the 'Sold' items in left column during search results.

I've had my eye on XBSX prices. Scalpers are lucky to get £500 for them now. Meaning they paid £450 or higher, and with fees taken out they are making about a tenner. Makes you wonder why they even bother.

GPU prices will absolutely crash. They always do after mining ends. There is a massive flood of second hand GPUs and they have to under cut each other to get rid. I remember when you could easily buy RX 480s for about £80. I mean at the end of the last mining crash I paid £210 for a Vega 64. Which two weeks previous was selling for £600 RRP and more to miners.

Miners don't just buy one GPU. They buy 30+. Those cards will flood back to the market.

D4N

D4N

Associate
Now there’s one 3090fe in completed listings that sold for just £1650 yesterday!

Soldato
OP
I guess on the flipside you could consider that despite changes in the cryptomarket, cards are still being sold for big profits. Obviously it could still have further to fall, but should one also be worried that prices are STILL extremely high, EVEN AFTER the much awaited mining profitability drop has landed? It's kind of like, people have been praying for this all year, now it has arrived and the supposed glut of GPUs at bargain-basement prices is yet to materialise. To me it's not really a fire sale when items are being flipped for hundreds of pounds in markup.
I think lots of the sales aren't people trying to flip to make money just people trying to get out of their over priced GPU while it's still selling for somewhere close to what they paid.

Associate
I was thinking the drop off in activity in this forum the last week or so is a pretty good indicator of the state of the market. The frenzy and panic is dying down.

Soldato
I've had my eye on XBSX prices. Scalpers are lucky to get £500 for them now. Meaning they paid £450 or higher, and with fees taken out they are making about a tenner. Makes you wonder why they even bother.

GPU prices will absolutely crash. They always do after mining ends. There is a massive flood of second hand GPUs and they have to under cut each other to get rid. I remember when you could easily buy RX 480s for about £80. I mean at the end of the last mining crash I paid £210 for a Vega 64. Which two weeks previous was selling for £600 RRP and more to miners.

Miners don't just buy one GPU. They buy 30+. Those cards will flood back to the market.

Retail availability is improving. Informed customers may be nervous about buying second-hand GPUs which may have been thrashed 24/7 for six months by a miner. We're now halfway through the 30xx series lifecycle.

On the other hand, retailers are holding stock acquired at the height of prices.

I'm expecting prices to drop gradually, and a flash crash in second-hand prices- but not quite yet.

Soldato
It wasnt long ago when miners were saying that the crypto prices were going to remain profitable till next year. I guess the tell tale sign will be when the same model of GPU is up for sale with 10+ units will be another big sign. Providing its not another scam of course.

Soldato
Yes mining no longer as profitable (still in +) and ETH hash rate dropped significantly. Means many gpus are on the market. Hold your horses buys, gpus are coming home.

There'll still be shortages/demand for new cards, as not many will want to buy a used 3000 series GPU, that's ex mining hardware. Literally all the thermal pads could be spent, meaning high temperatures and loud fan noise to compensate. Also the GDDR6X memory runs notoriously hot when mining, meaning degradation is very likely for many of these cards, since mining Ethereum puts such a high load on the memory.

To anyone buying a 2nd hand 3000 series card, check if the warranty for the manufacturer is valid for anyone apart from original seller. In many cases it's not - don't get burned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom