3 dead and 5 wounded in suspected Terror attack in Germany - not even headline news anymore.

Soldato
Hi All,

So a Somali man has gone on a knife rampage whilst shouting Allah Akbar during a suspected terror attack in the German town of Wurzburg killing three and wounding five more before being shot and arrested.

Now, this isn't a thread specifically about this one particular attack but instead a thread wondering if we've genuinely become so immune to these kind of frequent attacks? I mean as this one didn't even make it into the main headlines of the BBC but was instead just a small byline with a very small story attached (<180 words) whereas previously this would have been main headline news with 3-4 reporters on the story -

XIfkNxL.jpg

I realise that there are other "big" stories right now with the Miami collapse and the Chauvin sentencing but I would still expect such an event to at least be in the top 3 headlines in the 13 hours after it happened.

So, do you think that Western society has become so inured by now to attacks like these that the reporting is no longer shocking or has this attack just been gobbled up by bigger headlines hitting at the same time?

Soldato
The reporters would need to be able to get there to find out information and Germany currently has lockdown restrictions more severe than ours. I'd argue Journalism isn't essential travel.

EDIT - Ignore. I completely misunderstood a conversation I had with colleagues working in Germany.

Last edited:
Soldato
a building in the US collapsed yesterday, 150 missing feared dead.
I had not heard that reported on the radio, maybe it happened overnight, but it was a surprise to me that it had not been reported

Soldato
I checked the Daily Mail and its nowhere in the top either - its mostly coverage of Matt Hancock and the Royal Family. In fact coverage of Matt Hancock is trending on most news websites,ie,The Telegraph,etc.There is also the massive disaster in the US with the collapse of that block of flats with nearly 160 people missing.

Soldato
OP
We're not in Europe anymore, remember?

We're not in the EU anymore, we're still in Europe :)

I checked the Daily Mail and its nowhere in the top either - its mostly coverage of Matt Hancock and the Royal Family. In fact coverage of Matt Hancock is trending on most news websites,ie,The Telegraph,etc.

Yeap that my point, no media outlet (either Left or Right) seems to be covering "yet another" terror attack in the way they used to just a few years ago, hence my question "are we simply becoming inured to these acts?".

Britney Spears is more important than the 157 missing people in Miami too.

Blame the idiots that click those stories over the stuff that matters. Site analytics dictate what gets clicks, more than editorial strategy in most cases.

Soldato
It might have something to do with it seemingly being just one witness reporting he shouted 'Allah Akbar', without any sort of real verification and without that aspect being involved, it's not much more of a story than "mentally ill person stabs some other people" which no one really gives a **** about truth be told. It'd take a 'brave' outlet to run with it as being some major terror event if it turns out that one witness was talking rubbish. Even the Daily Mail are distancing themselves from that aspect by throwing 'according to local reports' in.

Back
Top Bottom