Broadband goes dead on micro filter socket.

Soldato
Hi all,

Just moved into a rented flat yesterday and I’ve just had my broadband go live. If I plug the router via ADSL cable into the ‘master socket’, BT OpenReach MK3 it works all good. I noticed in the room I want to use as an office that there is a plain socket that fits a micro filter, I plugged in a filter and the adsl cable from that to my router but then the broadband goes dead.

I would really like the router to be setup in the office room so I can Ethernet my pc etc.

Is there anything obvious I am missing here or should this just work? Alternatively, could this socket just be knackered?

For reference, here's an image of the back of the plate.

Thanks

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
Chances are the socket is disconnected, check the master socket to see if you can trace the connection.

edit: a way to test is plug a phone into that socket to see if there’s a dial time

Soldato
OP
Chances are the socket is disconnected, check the master socket to see if you can trace the connection.

edit: a way to test is plug a phone into that socket to see if there’s a dial time
What would I be looking for on the mastersocket side mate, just take it off the wall and see if there's another set of cables going back out?

I will try get hold of a phone.

I just updated the OP with some photos.

Pet Northerner
Don
What would I be looking for on the mastersocket side mate, just take it off the wall and see if there's another set of cables going back out?

I will try get hold of a phone.

I just updated the OP with some photos.

iirc if you have a master socket with the removable bottom half the external cable is wired behind the bottom half

Man of Honour
Make sure any telephone is plugged in after a filter - don't have the filter hanging off the end of the extension the router is connected to and a phone or extension to another phone connected before that to the master socket unfiltered.

Associate
Hi all,

Just moved into a rented flat yesterday and I’ve just had my broadband go live. If I plug the router via ADSL cable into the ‘master socket’, BT OpenReach MK3 it works all good. I noticed in the room I want to use as an office that there is a plain socket that fits a micro filter, I plugged in a filter and the adsl cable from that to my router but then the broadband goes dead.

I would really like the router to be setup in the office room so I can Ethernet my pc etc.

Is there anything obvious I am missing here or should this just work? Alternatively, could this socket just be knackered?

For reference, here's an image of the back of the plate.

Thanks

it’s because you’ve got the MK3 faceplate on the master socket. This is basically a filter and stops the DSL signal travelling to the extensions.

Take off the front plate being careful not to dislodge any wires , remove the MK3 piece and then replace the front plate. You’ll need shorter screws which have probably been thrown away but you can possibly some that fit.

Soldato
OP
iirc if you have a master socket with the removable bottom half the external cable is wired behind the bottom half
I just updated OP again with some photos. Looks like I have nothing in the socket lol. The faceplate seemingly just connects into what I believe is the "test socket"

Make sure any telephone is plugged in after a filter - don't have the filter hanging off the end of the extension the router is connected to and a phone or extension to another phone connected before that to the master socket unfiltered.
I am not using a telephone at all. On the mastersocket it has a faceplate with an ADSL and a phone line, I just slotted the ADSL cable in and it worked. The other socket I want has a phone socket so I put in a micro filter and then the ADSL.

Soldato
OP
it’s because you’ve got the MK3 faceplate on the master socket. This is basically a filter and stops the DSL signal travelling to the extensions.

Take off the front plate being careful not to dislodge any wires , remove the MK3 piece and then replace the front plate. You’ll need shorter screws which have probably been thrown away but you can possibly some that fit.
I just uploaded some more photos. Is your suggestion still true? I seemingly have no cables in the wall, the faceplate just connects to what I believe is the test port.

Man of Honour
Yeah if the extensions come off the MK3 or similar faceplate then the DSL signal is being filtered from the extension.

Soldato
OP
Yeah if the extensions come off the MK3 or similar faceplate then the DSL signal is being filtered from the extension.
So I've taken the master Socket off the wall and gone and plugged in the router in the other room.

Still no broadband or am I missing something completely here.

Associate
I just uploaded some more photos. Is your suggestion still true? I seemingly have no cables in the wall, the faceplate just connects to what I believe is the test port.

In that case, no. It would appear that the extension that you wish to use isn’t actually connected to the master at all. Are there loose wires tucked in behind the faceplate that you removed?

Man of Honour
I'm assuming the grey wire in your master socket image goes to the extension? (otherwise it looks like the extension isn't connected or faulty).

Soldato
OP
In that case, no. It would appear that the extension that you wish to use isn’t actually connected to the master at all. Are there loose wires tucked in behind the faceplate that you removed?
No cables or anything behind the master socket. Looks like they just didn't bother with any sort of cabling at all.
I'm assuming the grey wire in your master socket image goes to the extension? (otherwise it looks like the extension isn't connected or faulty).
The grey wire is the ADSL cable going to the router. In that photo it's plugged into the MK3 faceplate thingy. But yeah seemingly isn't connected at all.

Pet Northerner
Don
Yep I thought that might be it hah. Looks like the lazy so and so just knocked these flats out as quick as possible. Shame, powerlines or repeaters will have to be the way forward.

There's a cable somwhere as the second socket is wired, it might have been plugged in pre-ADSL and cut but openreach on the MS installation. if there's a hole in the wall behind it the cable may be there.

Edit: Word of caution, be careful when touching the Master socket, as it's not yours - nor is the cable attached to it from outside.

Soldato
OP
There's a cable somwhere as the second socket is wired, it might have been plugged in pre-ADSL and cut but openreach on the MS installation. if there's a hole in the wall behind it the cable may be there.

Edit: Word of caution, be careful when touching the Master socket, as it's not yours - nor is the cable attached to it from outside.
Yeah I'm not going to mess with it. Annoying but is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom