• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU panic selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
My local 2nd hand high street shop has had a number of cards submitted this week and now has more cards than I have seen since the gpu shortage began. It has 3090, 3080, 3070, 1060, and 6800 all in stock plus some others. I suspect that some people are predicting further decline in the value of cards and have decided now is a time to sell on.

Ivs

Ivs

Associate
New 3070s are going for a lot less than that - one went the other day for £774.99 delivered (£760 + del). There's also buy-it-now's for £800 ish but that have make an offer buttons.

I'd never pay more than £600 for a 3070 though so a long way to go yet for me.

Yeah, 600 sound about right for me too. My 2060 will work fine till that day. Good luck

Associate
If im correct ETH 2.0 will be brutal to second-hand market.

It happened before few years ago. But this time the numbers are a lot bigger in gpu's. Another thing i read on reddit: there is a time bomb in ETH code, I dont know all about it, but its designed to motivate developers to stick to the deadlines, So 2.0 is coming and it should spell armageddon to second-hand GPUs.

Soldato
had a quick look at the grey market prices again just now, the AMD cards have continued to sell at a much lower rate and the Nvidia cards have stayed steady.

i think its just a stock adjustment (in AMD buyers favour) but it now means a 6900XT is £940ish and a 3080 founders are still selling at £1,200.

Associate

It happened before few years ago. But this time the numbers are a lot bigger in gpu's. Another thing i read on reddit: there is a time bomb in ETH code, I dont know all about it, but its designed to motivate developers to stick to the deadlines, So 2.0 is coming and it should spell armageddon to second-hand GPUs.

Its on Reddit so must be true :) Seriously though, never heard of that but the devs of ETH have already delayed the move to the Proof of Stake model till year end if not longer.... so not sure praying for that to help will do much

Associate
Worked very well for me recently. Bank transfer and photo of car reg.

Doh, seems obvious but yeah.... as long as they drive to you. Lucky I am in stix so likely....

Agree with the other poster about 3080 prices now as "low" as £1200... might need to sell mine quick :)

Soldato

Hmm can you elaborate or link me to this thread? Gonna go look it up as well.

Associate
It is an artificial increasing difficulty factor within the confirmation of blocks which would eventually make transactions impossible. It has been delayed once per year for the previous 3 years already via code forks.

Soldato
It is an artificial increasing difficulty factor within the confirmation of blocks which would eventually make transactions impossible. It has been delayed once per year for the previous 3 years already via code forks.
Yeh I've been hearing about the switch to proof of stake, but the comment seemed to specifically talk about 2nd hand market (when I see this a whole market thing).

Makes sense now, I guess miners/scalpers holding cards will be most affected.

Associate
ill try find a reddit post. If im lucky. There was a talk about Bomb in a code and something about 15xx something block mined. and increasing dificulty.

something about London and hard fork.

EIP 1559

The London hard fork

Associate
Hey Everyone,

I was just updating myself on the ETH core dev discussions in GitHub.

The London Hard Fork, which contains EIP 1559, is not dropping on the last Test Net until July 9th. The Dev's have previously mentioned that they wanted 5-6 weeks from the last Test Net drop until they move the London HF to MainNet. They have not announced any date yet for the London HF to move to MainNet, but I gather they are targeting first week or 2 of August.

They are having quite a few discussions and analysis of the difficulty bomb and its impact as they know they are slightly behind schedule. They know the difficulty bomb is set to start impacting the network in mid-July timeframe which was THE reason for the original target date for London HF to go to MainNet.

IMO,.. it is quite likely we begin to see the impact of the difficulty bomb starting to go off and ramping up a bit before they are able to move London to MainNet which will reset the bomb and move it back to December.

Point being, the bomb will just begin going off sometime in mid July or so. As opposed to what most people think of a "Bomb", it is not an instant explosion of difficulty. It actually starts to ramp up and then goes exponential. They are unsure how quickly the impact will occur but their current estimates are 2% increase in difficulty by mid-July, 9% increase by early August and then it starts to ramp from there to 35% increase by Early September.

Brace for potential impact as we are likely to see some impact from the bomb until they manage to get London and EIP 1559 to MainNet. Your profits will go way down starting mid-July throughout August if they haven't merged yet.

They expect the bomb to begin to be noticeable specifically around block number 12900000.

UPDATE: I did the math,... we have 26 days until block 12900000. Where the bomb is likely noticeably impacting our profits and gets exponentially worse with time.

Associate

What's the main difference between now and back then on crypto market? Number of profitable to mine altcoins that size up in price as Eth does. Some miners would sell GPUs, sure. But many would likely just switch to altcoin and continue for as long as these are profitable to mine.

Plus in the past prices were still sensible and you could still buy GPU in shops for such. Neither is true currently, which also means they can still be selling their GPUs for scalp prices, not influencing market as much as they did in the past.

Associate
What's the main difference between now and back then on crypto market? Number of profitable to mine altcoins that size up in price as Eth does. Some miners would sell GPUs, sure. But many would likely just switch to altcoin and continue for as long as these are profitable to mine.

Plus in the past prices were still sensible and you could still buy GPU in shops for such. Neither is true currently, which also means they can still be selling their GPUs for scalp prices, not influencing market as much as they did in the past.

They are just "cashing out" while GPUs are still worth so much, they would have to mine out for a big big while now with lower profits just to make up for the GPU prices and they are aware GPU prices will crash soon, it's much easier to sell them and have "instant profit".

Man of Honour
Additionally there's always the option of buying back in. I.e. if this alleged fire sale happens with ebay chock full of bargain GPUs then they can just buy back in at a much lower price should the profitability equation improve. They might make more money selling GPUs for inflated prices and buying back six months later than they would on mining, or at least break even but without the risk element.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
They are just "cashing out" while GPUs are still worth so much, they would have to mine out for a big big while now with lower profits just to make up for the GPU prices and they are aware GPU prices will crash soon, it's much easier to sell them and have "instant profit".

That could also be assuming people only mine direct to cash.. as long as its profitable (which it still is) all you have to do is cover the electric and wait for a sell opportunity later down the line.

I mean I could mine 0.1 ETH in a few weeks but why sell for yesterdays price of £1470, when I can set a sell limit on it for £1800? This way if it triggers (this is just an example btw) my order I have actually sold my ETH for £180 as opposed to selling it on the day for £147. When you observe it in this context, all a miner has to do is mine it till the sell time equates to the same daily profit as a few weeks ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom