Seat Leon estate (I bought an Octavia VRS 230)

Soldato
Did you swap to an Octavia after some time then?
Why do you say it was the wrong decision?
I had an Octavia many years ago and went from a B6 Passat to the Leon.

The Leon is a big step down quality wise IMO. I always thought of them as a Golf in a slightly less drab outfit for less cash but it generally feels a cheaper car. The rear leg room wasn't even a consideration two years ago as I stupidly thought that it made no difference with kids up to a certain age. I hadn't factored in just how big rear facing car seats are :o

The Passat, despite being a bit of a barge, was at least comfortable. The Leon really isn't that nice from a ride point of view. I could almost forgive it that if the trade off was that it was better to drive but before the Passat I had a Focus and that had the Leon beat on both handling and comfort.

As I say though, don't take my word for it as my one could well be a lemon and it also has the cheap torsion bar suspension setup at the rear.

Soldato
OP
I had an Octavia many years ago and went from a B6 Passat to the Leon.

The Leon is a big step down quality wise IMO. I always thought of them as a Golf in a slightly less drab outfit for less cash but it generally feels a cheaper car. The rear leg room wasn't even a consideration two years ago as I stupidly thought that it made no difference with kids up to a certain age. I hadn't factored in just how big rear facing car seats are :o

The Passat, despite being a bit of a barge, was at least comfortable. The Leon really isn't that nice from a ride point of view. I could almost forgive it that if the trade off was that it was better to drive but before the Passat I had a Focus and that had the Leon beat on both handling and comfort.

As I say though, don't take my word for it as my one could well be a lemon and it also has the cheap torsion bar suspension setup at the rear.

Thanks for elaborating, I've read the ride isn't the best.
I did drive a Leon hatchback many many years ago, a hire car at work, was a FR diesel. From what I remember it was ok. But it wasn't my car, so I didn't really take much notice.

Soldato
OP
Ok, we are thinking about an Octavia now, hatchback or estate. This is going to be a long term car, so need to get the right one.
She likes the 1.5, I like the vrs. She also likes the look of the vrs, so a win for me....
Found one with quite a bit of wear on the gearstick leather, but only 20k on the clock. Either abusive use or holding it all the time?
Though I still quite like the idea of an auto

Soldato
Octavia VRS - petrol versions sometimes have issued with the water pump housing leaking. Diesel versions have issues with the water pump itself failing, and older cars used around town are seeing some DPF related issues too.

Fundamentally solid cars. For the petrol versions, the specifications changed quite a lot during the model runs, summarised roughly as follows.

VRS 220 - basic pre-facelift model. 2.0 turbo with 220Bhp, same engine as the 2014 Golf GTI.

VRS 230 - 10bhp more, plus it got the VAQ differential which improves the handling no end.

VRS 245 - Now up to 245bhp with same engine as the Golf GTI Performance pack, these all got the 7 speed gearbox if you went for DSG (earlier models got the 6 speed), this is the facelift version for late 2017 with the split LED headlights, all 245s get the bigger 340mm front brakes, launch editions had lots of kit as standard, however over time the specification was worsened and things became optional extras again (heated and electric seats were once standard IIRC on the VRS245, but they became optional extras again after a while).

VRS 245 Challenge - I have one of these at the moment, an estate auto, its a run out special of the VRS245 with more standard kit (Dynamic Chassis Control suspension, Front and rear parking sensors, power fold mirrors, privacy glass and heated and electric powered front seats).

The diesel cars are all 184bhp 2.0 engines, throughout the model run, with no mechanical changes barring the front brakes (some had 312mm brakes, some had 340mm), so its easier to work out what you are getting mechically with the diesels.

I had a 2017MY Seat Leon Cupra 300 prior to getting my 2020MY VRS245 Challenge....and the cars were more different to drive than I expected. The Leon Cupra was obviously faster and also handled better, but since you're not looking at the Cupra, I'll try and stick to the differences that will be fundamental when comparing any Mk3 Leon/Mk3 Octavia. IMO the Octavia interior is a more staid design but the material quality and perceived solidness is much better than the Leon. The infotainment is much of a muchness, both my cars had versions of the VAG 8 inch sat nav/stereo which is brilliant IMO. Rear legroom and boot space obviously massively favours the Octavia. The Octavia is much quieter inside and generally a more refined, less sporty drive than the Leon. If you do a lot of motorway miles I suspect you'll enjoy the Octavia far more than the Leon.

Soldato
Fundamentally solid cars. For the petrol versions, the specifications changed quite a lot during the model runs, summarised roughly as follows.
There's a couple of bits worth clarifying in there.

All mk3 petrol vRS models got 340mm vented front discs, but 'special edition' cars and 245s get larger 310mm vented rear brakes rather than 272mm solid.

You've also kind of blurred a few models together in the timeline.

Prefacelift
vRS - 220bhp, XDS, 6sp DSG
vRS 230 - 230bhp, VAQ, 6sp DSG, Extras as standard
Facelift '17/18
vRS - 230bhp, XDS, 6sp DSG
vRS 245 - 245bhp, VAQ, 7sp DSG, Extras as standard
Facelift - '18-
vRS - 245bhp, VAQ, 7sp DSG
vRS 245 Challenge - 245bhp, VAQ, 7sp DSG, Extras as Standard + DCC + Keyless.

The extras referred to above being Black Pack Plus, including 19" Xtremes in Black, Heated Electric Memory seats, Powerfold Mirrors, Front and Rear Park, Sports Dials in the Infotainment and other more subtle changes like a black v in the vRS badge.

Soldato
OP
Great info, thanks a lot.
I've been driving a cmax, so anything will be sportier! Hehe
There's a nice 245 estate up the road, but it's £25k, pushing what I want to spend.
There's a 2018 auto estate for £22k, but it's not the 245, they dont actually give much away on what it is.

Soldato
Great info, thanks a lot.
I've been driving a cmax, so anything will be sportier! Hehe
There's a nice 245 estate up the road, but it's £25k, pushing what I want to spend.
There's a 2018 auto estate for £22k, but it's not the 245, they dont actually give much away on what it is.
Post up a link, there's plenty of clues to identify models from for sad Skoda geeks like I'm definitely not.

Soldato
This is a facelift 230 BHP version, looks to be a relatively standard car bar the 19" alloys. That's extremely strong money for what is effectively the second most basic version of petrol vRS. You're paying for mileage.

Owning a 245 at 50,000 miles now, I'd really not worry about getting ultra low mileage, they wear mileage very well.
This is the 245, but it's a bit more, the other ones more than I wanted to pay lol.....
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106304445183?atmobcid=soc3
This is a regular MY19 245bhp vRS, again looks to be pretty much standard bar the digital dash.

I know the market is a bit mental these days but that's only £5k less than you'd pay for a brand new Mk4 vRS, absolutely mental money to spend on a basic Mk3.

Soldato
OP
Ok, I'll discount the 245 then, but you're also saying the 230 is too high as well. Trouble is it's a main dealer too,.so price will be high.
I'm looking to keep this for many years

Soldato
Ok, I'll discount the 245 then, but you're also saying the 230 is too high as well. Trouble is it's a main dealer too,.so price will be high.
I'm looking to keep this for many years
How many miles per year are you going to be adding to it?

You're going to get absolutely mugged on price if you won't consider stuff around 25,000 to 35,000 miles.

I wouldn't want to be spending much more than 17 or 18k on a vRS that isn't one of the 'special' models. I'd really have to think about that too.

If that's not achievable then I really ought to look at offloading mine, I'd probably be making profit after 3 years of ownership if prices are that high now :p

Man of Honour
You're going to get absolutely mugged on price if you won't consider stuff around 25,000 to 35,000 miles.

This obsession with mileage is really odd - rodders you need to explain why its so important to you, perhaps there is something you are missing about how important mileage is. Your requirement is severely limiting your choice of cars - very few cars more than 2 years old are going to have under 20k miles on them and those that do go for ridiculous premium prices to other people with irrational fears of anything with 30k on it.

Nobody is suggesting you should go and buy an ex fleet car with 120k and the foam coming out of the seat.

There is zero practical difference between a Seat Leon or a Skoda Octavia on 17k miles and one on 29k miles.

There are only really two occasions when it makes sense to require under 20k miles:

a) You are buying a car that is a year old or less
b) You are buying a rare Ferrari to park in the garage and drive twice a year

Soldato
OP
We do naff all miles currently. No more than 6k usually, that's been even less over the last year.

Not many newish ones around here with higher miles, my search is up to 45k miles.
Just a car to keep for 10 odd years, so lower is better to start with, in my mind lol.

Man of Honour
Just a car to keep for 10 odd years, so lower is better to start with, in my mind lol.

Lets say you do 6k a year and keep it 10 years.

Two cars - car A has 15k on it. Car B has 30k on it.

In 10 years time Car A has 60k on it and Car B has 75k on it. Both are now 12-14 year old cars. There is absolutely zero appreciable or practical difference between a car of that age with 60k and a car of that age with 75k.

Soldato
We do naff all miles currently. No more than 6k usually, that's been even less over the last year.

Not many newish ones around here with higher miles, my search is up to 45k miles.
I'd really not worry about it if you're not even going to be adding many miles.

My 2017 245 is on 50k now, it had a water pump under warranty but has otherwise needed nothing except routine servicing and tyres. To look at it, bar a few stone chips, it could easily pass for a 20,000 mile car.

Even if you bought one around 50k, you'd only just be reaching 100k after your 10 years.

You should really look at it that by owning for a long time and doing low miles, that opens up the opportunity to buy cheaper higher mileage cars to start with because you'll not then need to be dragging them to 150k.

(in some senses, you'd probably be better off with one that's already done enough miles to have the water pump replaced under warranty already :p)

Soldato
I have a Seat Leon Cupra 280 estate. It's an early one with the six speed DSG and FWD.

I like it. The only things to go wrong is the windows switches in the driver's door and the Bluetooth link for audio, you now can't change the tracks using the steering wheel buttons.

Soldato
OP
(in some senses, you'd probably be better off with one that's already done enough miles to have the water pump replaced under warranty already :p)

Haha, good point.
Ill probably still go see that one tomorrow, as it's just down the road and I told him it's just to look, not looking to buy or put a deposit down.
I might not like it anyway!

Back
Top Bottom