Seat Leon estate (I bought an Octavia VRS 230)

Soldato
Hi all,

Looking to get rid of our Ford grand cmax, been looking at lots of cars, finally settled on a Seat Leon estate, looking at the 1.8 FR technology petrol 2017 with no more than 20k miles.

Anything to look out for on these?

Soldato
OP
Commenting to follow. I am interested in a Leon Cupra estate near me so might benefit from some of the tips you get OP.

There's a cupra estate just down the road from me......no Rodders, no!

Whats wrong with 25k miles? Especially if you're looking at a 2017.

Nothing, just looking for a car under 20k miles, that's what I decide. If I go 25k, why not 30k etc... Quite a few of these with under 20k for reasonable money. I don't mind 2018, just want to keep around £13/14k

Soldato
OP
Condition over mileage every time!
Would you rather a car that's pootled to the shops and back with stop-start traffic and not warming up properly, or a car that's sat on the motorway in 6th gear for thousands of miles?

Something in the middle lol

Soldato
OP
1.8 is a dry clutch DSG if you are looking at automatic, which doesn't officially have a service interval but generally considered less reliable than the wet clutch boxes.

Water pump and thermostat housing is a common issue on EA888 Gen 3 engines. Apart from that though they are good cars and generally reliable.

I'd like the DSG, I am tempted by that. What can be done to make it less unreliable if there's no service schedule? A little off putting...

There's a plus, right there then :D

Yeah, my current car has a wet cam belt, a pain to change and talking to an ex ford mechanic, there's risk of fuel injector issues after.

Soldato
OP
Pot luck and cars with me....sure it'll be ok....

There's a DSG one in Sussex, not too far from me, might try and go and see it at the weekend.

Soldato
OP
There isn't much room behind my drivers seat and I'm 6ft. Definitely worth looking at.

I hadn't realised how bad it was until I fitted a group 0+ rear facing seat :o

My kids are just on boosters now, soon one of them can be without.
I remember the A4 Avant we had wasn't as great as you'd think. The S4 avant was even worse, because of the sport seats it had.

Soldato
OP
When I was sent used car shopping with my company car budget my first thought was an Octavia but the lure of a pre-reg Leon vs a used Octavia was too much to resist. I honestly think that was the wrong decision in hindsight.

Did you swap to an Octavia after some time then?
Why do you say it was the wrong decision?

Soldato
OP
I had an Octavia many years ago and went from a B6 Passat to the Leon.

The Leon is a big step down quality wise IMO. I always thought of them as a Golf in a slightly less drab outfit for less cash but it generally feels a cheaper car. The rear leg room wasn't even a consideration two years ago as I stupidly thought that it made no difference with kids up to a certain age. I hadn't factored in just how big rear facing car seats are :o

The Passat, despite being a bit of a barge, was at least comfortable. The Leon really isn't that nice from a ride point of view. I could almost forgive it that if the trade off was that it was better to drive but before the Passat I had a Focus and that had the Leon beat on both handling and comfort.

As I say though, don't take my word for it as my one could well be a lemon and it also has the cheap torsion bar suspension setup at the rear.

Thanks for elaborating, I've read the ride isn't the best.
I did drive a Leon hatchback many many years ago, a hire car at work, was a FR diesel. From what I remember it was ok. But it wasn't my car, so I didn't really take much notice.

Soldato
OP
Ok, we are thinking about an Octavia now, hatchback or estate. This is going to be a long term car, so need to get the right one.
She likes the 1.5, I like the vrs. She also likes the look of the vrs, so a win for me....
Found one with quite a bit of wear on the gearstick leather, but only 20k on the clock. Either abusive use or holding it all the time?
Though I still quite like the idea of an auto

Soldato
OP
Great info, thanks a lot.
I've been driving a cmax, so anything will be sportier! Hehe
There's a nice 245 estate up the road, but it's £25k, pushing what I want to spend.
There's a 2018 auto estate for £22k, but it's not the 245, they dont actually give much away on what it is.

Back
Top Bottom