Cash is only used by the poor or elderly

Caporegime
Ever walked into a store and frustratingly waited while someone paid in cash?

The elderly thing I get, it was the way, back in yonder times. The poor I don't get, surely your dole money goes into a bank account?

Tbh cash is useful for nicer restaurants and bars once the bill has come you can just leave the cash plus tip and walk out without any hassle or faff.

Less useful in less nice places where they will expect to count it etc.

Caporegime
See that at work. Those on certain benefits with kids under 4 get Healthy Start vouchers, which get £4.25 (double that if under 12 months) for every child to spend on milk, baby formula milk (from birth) and fruit and veg with nothing added - chips don't count. See these handing over 3 vouchers then pay £80 on cigs/rolly baccy and booze. If they can afford £80 for that, they can afford £12.75 on milk, F&V.

I think the problem is that they wouldn't :(

By them having some voucher that's only worth anything for something for the kid it means they might actually buy it as its otherwise worthless to them.

If it was cash they'd have just spent the 92.75 on crap.

Soldato
I paid a rather large bill last week - Half cash and half card - Now the cash was backup money we keep in a cocoa tin in the oven :D -Yea.

While counting out a lot of £20 pound notes it became obvious how over a few years we have lost the value of what we spend it on - I thought what the hell am I paying this much for that item.
Online banking has reduced us to people who look at figures on a page and say to themselves - Look I have £10k I can afford to spend £5k on some item.
Now do the same with cash and you would certainly think twice - My opinion is online banking is one reason why things cost more - You would think twice using cash all time and so would everyone else.

And for the OP - we got stuck at checkouit by an old couple buying a months supply and did they natter and were dead slow and stop at packing their bags - Then out came the card - What a faff - put it in wrong way up -got pin wrong - Wife had to go change ice cream as it had gone soft.

I only go slow when there is some lad behind me with his lunch in one hand and phone in the other shuffling from one foot to the other and watching his lips say come on old B' stard :)

Caporegime
It does annoy me that people use cash to avoid tax but I can understand the elderly not using technology and also the poor.

Always handy to have a tank of petrol worth in cash. 3am at motorway services getting told "yeah sorry card machines bust" is not a fun experience

Associate
One thing I don’t understand are customers paying with cash yet wearing disposable gloves! What’s that about? Cash is one of most germy things you can touch.

Then two hospitals i have used only accept cash on pay and display machines. Yet a council near me take card payment for 30p charge.

My hairdresser only takes cash.

Well that does make money laundering easier :O

Caporegime
:cry: Classic PS.

"You bunch of idiots it isn't just poor and elderly, it is people buying drugs too!"

Well as soon as my dealer starts taking bitcoin I'll let you know. All trades folk take cash too as do mechanics and tyre fitters so they all tend to carry a lot of cash.

All business folk like shopkeepers carry cash too as they get cash from their customers.

I also get gifted cash on birthdays and stuff so I use that cash too as it's much easier to use cash than bank it these days.

Luckily my wife's new bank uses post office so that is easy now but my banks nearest branch is a 10-20 minute drive away.

Soldato
Well as soon as my dealer starts taking bitcoin I'll let you know. All trades folk take cash too as do mechanics and tyre fitters so they all tend to carry a lot of cash.

All business folk like shopkeepers carry cash too as they get cash from their customers.

I also get gifted cash on birthdays and stuff so I use that cash too as it's much easier to use cash than bank it these days.

Luckily my wife's new bank uses post office so that is easy now but my banks nearest branch is a 10-20 minute drive away.
The dealers here have had to diversify. Strictly organic and contactless. Even my scrap iron Man wears a visor and a mask.

Caporegime
Ever walked into a store and frustratingly waited while someone paid in cash?

The elderly thing I get, it was the way, back in yonder times. The poor I don't get, surely your dole money goes into a bank account?
I live opposite a cash point and I see all types of cars parking to nip to it.

what next the general assumption anyone who uses cash is using it to buy drugs...

People just end up with cash sometimes. I don't know about you but unless it's upwards of about £50 I won't bother paying it into the bank as I rarely pass one, so I'll just use it.

pro tip at post offices you can deposit into a normal bank account.

if it's a newsagent that doubles up as a post office you can still do deposits at them, in my city the newsagent/post office on the high street opens at 6am so it's actually kinda convenient to nip to before work or whatever.

the monies are instantly deposited into your account and ready to be spent

Personally I am in favour of some tracking and controls. For example, I don't see why someone should be able to spend dole money on alcohol or cigarettes. I don't drink or smoke, so why should I pay tax that then gets given to someone and spent on these?

but where does it end? maybe the government should have Brit coin and track everything anyone ever spends.then they can slowly start to control everyone.

no need for sugar taxes, just limit the amount of calories people can purchase each week

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Tax evasion (it's not avoidance) is what drives the cash economy.

It also drives howls of anger when steps are taken to address it, usually disguised as other things.

Soldato
I hate using cash. I actively avoid anywhere that only accepts cash and I hope enough other people do until they get a card machine.

There's also just as high a chance that if things go to ****, hyperinflation will make the physical cash you have worthless way before digital currency disappears.

Caporegime
I hate using cash. I actively avoid anywhere that only accepts cash and I hope enough other people do until they get a card machine.

There's also just as high a chance that if things go to ****, hyperinflation will make the physical cash you have worthless way before digital currency disappears.

I don’t understand the last sentence, the value of physics cash is directly mimic the digits number in your bank account. The balance in your account is not immune to inflation. The amount of interest is hardly going to make up the difference if this “hyperinflation” happens.

In Stafford, all of the taxis I have used during the pandemic still only use cash. Yet the barbershop I use takes card no probs.

In the arcade, fruit machines still take cash. Penny pushers too, and surely there is no way around that?! Arcade games would be a bit easier because they take cash to play the game and don't give money back out. Quiz machines in pubs would still need to take cash because they (occasionally!) give money back out.

Fairground operators still only take cash. "Pay in the cash box for your next ride!!"

Coin-op rides like you see outside a supermarket could be converted to take card.

Coin-op vending machines are starting to take card, as with train tickets, pay and display / parking machines.

Someone up-thread mentioned car boot sales and that is still cash based.

Beggars take cash only, and sometimes food.

If I buy a takeaway for a few of us by card, then the others will pay me their bit in cash. Or otherwise we just take it in turns and we all pay by card each time.

Paying tip is still acceptable in some situations and that is always in cash.

So in summary:

Cash - still relevant
Card - still relevant

Cheques on the other hand - not relevant!

Caporegime
how would a currency being in digital form stop hyperinflation

Cheques on the other hand - not relevant!

you still get them from utility companies when you overpay?
you can just scan them on your banks app with a mobile phone though, no need to takes cheques to a bank anymore

Soldato
I don’t understand the last sentence, the value of physics cash is directly mimic the digits number in your bank account. The balance in your account is not immune to inflation. The amount of interest is hardly going to make up the difference if this “hyperinflation” happens.

Yeah, I didn't really elaborate enough on the last bit.

Historically there's been far more cases of hyperinflation causing all cash to be pretty worthless, compared to scenarios where only digital currency disappears or becomes devalued. I'm not aware of any scenarios where huge amounts of digital currency have just disappeared (I'm sure there must be examples) and knowing what systems banks have in place, I can imagine their records surviving an apocalypse far better than almost anything else.

*The point I'm getting at is that in most realistic scenarios I can think of, having physical cash is more of a risk / liability than digital currency. If something terrible happened that caused digital currency to vanish, chances are we'd be bartering over food and clothing before anyone cares about how many fivers they've got.

Caporegime

Historically there's been far more cases of hyperinflation causing all cash to be pretty worthless, compared to scenarios where only digital currency disappears or becomes devalued. I'm not aware of any scenarios where huge amounts of digital currency have just disappeared (I'm sure there must be examples) and knowing what systems banks have in place, I can imagine their records surviving an apocalypse far better than almost anything else.

In the scenario when cash or a particular currency devalues then the only immunity is convert it to something else, digital or physical will be worth the same. The problem is we have no way of knowing when, then we just have to look at other investments where we can park our money. This is where diversifying is important.

Caporegime

I don't get your thinking.

the government does QE right. to create "magic money" it doesn't matter if the money is digital or physical.

if the government does Quantitative easing of 50billion pounds, they don't actually print 50billion pounds worth of hard currency, they just change the number on a bank account

what they do is devalue our currency compared to everyone else's and we import a lot of stuff which suddenly becomes more expensive.

the value of the £$€ etc aren't all set in stone

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom