Do I need a Structural Engineer ?

Associate
Hello everyone - hope I'm in the right place......I'd be really grateful for any advice offered!

While moving my garden gate unfortunately the contractor screwed the 3 nails of the gate post all the way through the neighbours garage wall.So it has damaged 3 bricks of the garage wall . The neighbour is demanding for a Structural engineer advice before replacing the bricks . My intention was to fix the damaged bricks but he is insisting on a structural engineer visit .

Can anybody say do i need really need one ?

Thanks

7zt7smc.jpeg

Caporegime
If your neighbour's garage can't handle three nails then he's gonna need a lot more than a structural engineer. Houses are built to withstand earthquakes and hurricanes. Post up some photos, could be that these are oversized nails, could be a shonky my-mate-Dave garage job, could be a lot of things. We need to rule out a few variables before giving solid advice.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your replay .... That was a very straight forward answer :cry: ...

So do you think it's not required . How should i prove him that i dont need one ? . Because he keeps on insisting on me !!

Caporegime
Thanks for your replay .... That was a very straight forward answer :cry: ...

So do you think it's not required . How should i prove him that i dont need one ? . Because he keeps on insisting on me !!

Tell him you can hire one of your choosing and if no fault/issue is found then he can pick up the cost. Make sure you get that in writing from him.

You won't. Because he won't agree to that.

Soldato
What is the back story here ? Is the neighbour being a pain because you didn't have the courtesy to ask him about drilling new holes when moving the gate and now there are two set of (cosmetic) damage, from the old and new holes.

If he's worried that replacing 3 bricks is going to cause it to fall down, then I'd be also worried about what kind of shonky build it was in the first place. Do you let children step within range of it falling over during a light breeze :D

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your reply . Now he has given me Structural Engineer quote for 500£ and escalated the issue with the police . Should i need to tell him if structural engineers report says there is damage . i will be able to bare the charges otherwise No .
Still i am not sure do i really need a structural engineer advice ?
More over he isn't allowing the same contractor to fix the bricks and he is commenting contractor as "Cowboy" builder.
Please advice

Caporegime
Thank you all for your reply . Now he has given me Structural Engineer quote for 500£ and escalated the issue with the police . Should i need to tell him if structural engineers report says there is damage . i will be able to bare the charges otherwise No .
More over he isn't allowing the same contractor to fix the bricks and he is commenting contractor as "Cowboy" builder.
Please advice

Lmao, guy's a joke. It won't cost £500 for a structural engineering assessment. Additionally it's not a criminal matter so the police will tell him to go do one.

Soldato
Please advice
Neighbour has gone from idiot to retard.

Soldato
Hello everyone - hope I'm in the right place......I'd be really grateful for any advice offered!

While moving my garden gate unfortunately the contractor screwed the 3 nails of the gate post all the way through the neighbours garage wall.So it has damaged 3 bricks of the garage wall . The neighbour is demanding for a Structural engineer advice before replacing the bricks . My intention was to fix the damaged bricks but he is insisting on a structural engineer visit .

Can anybody say do i need really need one ?

Thanks
Got a pic of damaged bricks? Easy to dismiss this as your neighbour being unreasonable, but if its single skin brick it IS structural, unlike a house.

Associate
OP
I really understand this . But he is cornering me that he needs a Structural Engineer .
how should i handle this please ?

I am not sure how to upload the picture

Caporegime
I really understand this . But he is cornering me that he needs a Structural Engineer .

I've already told you, tell him if he agrees in writing that no faults are found that he will be liable for the cost then you will book one.

Soldato

take the pics ans upload them the imgur.com (free), then link the pics here

Also your neighbor is being a tard

Associate
You've accidentally put 3 screws all the way through a single brick party wall. Ask him what he think a structural engineer will tell him exactly, other than "yeah mate, there's 3 small holes in your wall" :D

In his defence it is super annoying, an old neighbour did this to me when fitting a boiler in their garage (attached to mine) - could have easily knocked something off a shelf or similar.

Back
Top Bottom