Road Cycling

Soldato
Thanks guys regarding the FD.

Now the challenge is to find a 31.8mm... Seems to be some 34.9 available but my seat tube measures more like ~32. Gonna hunt about. TBH 5800/6800 will do fine too but R7000/R8000 seem like a lot less faff!

Edit: scratch that. TIL the seat tube is tapered :D It's 34.9. Phew.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it to get the sew on badge or something? I did it years back and they mailed you a badge. Definitely didnt spend a day in the saddle up and down the same climb - phew wonder if he got bored! :cry:

He just did it for something to do I think, he got into Zwift after being against it for years and he was never off the Alpe. He's light and powerful so doesn't mind climbing. I couldn't do it that many times and the first thing I said was you should use a longer climb. It's a few minutes from his parents and he used to stay 100 yards from it so probably knows it very well.

Wow the willpower it'd take to everest a .05 mile long climb 122 times is insane. I'd die of boredom!

If I where to do it I'd want something far longer! Drovers do an event to everest Gospel and it's 'only' 11 climbs!

I think I'd want something around 10 minutes so you can get a bit of recovery on the way down.

Maybe this 50 times would do the job

https://www.strava.com/activities/5717666919/segments/2856626119231666258

Thanks guys regarding the FD.

Now the challenge is to find a 31.8mm... Seems to be some 34.9 available but my seat tube measures more like ~32. Gonna hunt about. TBH 5800/6800 will do fine too but R7000/R8000 seem like a lot less faff!

Edit: scratch that. TIL the seat tube is tapered :D It's 34.9. Phew.

Class! Depends where you measure if you're average or above average :D

The weather has turned a bit here but we're due another heatwave for my week off soon so not too fussed. Could have chanced meeting the bunch but didn't fancy roundabouts in the wet and getting the bike soaked.

Fired up Zwift, had to pay as I must have cancelled it. Back using just my vortex as I gave my mate my 4iiii. It felt silly hard to do 200w when I was messing about trying to warm up for a crit and then my wifi started being a dick, for some reason my powerline adapter isn't working either.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5744525859

My HR monitor kept doing its usual crap but when it was working my HR seemed low once I settled into 320w steady effort, near the end pushing 400w took it up to 190bpm which is more like it for me doing an effort. Still calling it a 300w effort minimum due to the lolvortex.

Soldato
I’m looking at an upgrade for my old Scott CR1 and want something that will last another 10 years so going the whole hog to electronic shifting. Is it a bad time to be looking at Di2 though if 12 speed is coming any time soon?

Soldato
Things are moving quick in the bike industry. Could be worth waiting for 12 speed di2 and the new freehub standard microspline that comes with it.

It'll be somewhat wireless as far as I know. Bike prices are mental now to get onto di2 though.

Most brands are using 12x142 and 12x100 axle standard now so that shouldn't change going forward. 99% are disc brake only. Some brands have quite a specific cockpit which spare parts could be an issue in 8 years time.

Getting seatpost clamp bolts, seatpost or seatpost head insert for a 2014 Felt AR is tricky as it was only used for a few years and is unique. Some bikes you can't get derailleur hangers for on occasion. BMC also used a stupid seatpost design that failed lots and was a unique shape rather than round

Not sure what I'm getting at but it's almost like cars these days, have a bike a few years and shift it on for the next owner to deal with any issues.

Soldato
Thanks Roadie I'll keep an eye on my trust.

Rode was great we did the same ride as last year and we all had a great time.

My friend struggled 40 miles in but did well to finish the whole route!

Not sure where to head next now!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Looking at a Engima custom frame at the moment as a Winter project.... The excel sheet i am creating for it is getting expensive :)

Soldato
Just to throw in another (daft?) question.

If my front wheel fitting is a Thru axle, i've seen a few things suggesting i can get a converter to change it to allow QR fittings. Are these actually alright to use? And can they easily be switched back/forth?

I've seen a Giant PR2 wheelset including Shimano rotors which are QR fitting. Initially i figured i would just run them mismatched with my existing front wheel and then maybe look to sell on the new front wheel. However now i'm wondering whether to try and change the front fitting so i can use both Giant wheels. I could then fit them with my 32mm road tyres and then keep an eye out for another rear wheel to match my existing wheels to use with the gravel tyres.

If so, could anyone link to an actual product, i'm finding a huge range. Measurements wise it's 12mm in diameter and i've got it at 137mm in length.

However if i take the code off the axle "QR264-F" i get this (Not sure if the F vs the EN makes a difference?)
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/novatec-qr264renx12-shimano-12mm-thruaxle-m12-x-15-142172mm/

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha yeah, it doesn't help i guess that i make daily posts as soon as something new pops into my head, and without knowing much about different geometry's etc one bike looks very similar to another in that regard.

Issue i seem to have found with wheelsets is my front is a thru axle and the rear is quick release and most wheelsets are matching (as you'd expect)

I've found a guy locally who has a set of wheels for sale at a reasonable price (£20), he also dropped in that he used to be a bike mechanic so can help me with getting things swapped over. I think i'm going to go with this to get out on the road and then maybe in a few months if i'm getting out often enough i'll look to buy something new that's more "matchy matchy"

Have also ordered this to bleed the brakes, i did check the existing pads and to my eyes there's still a lot of life left in them. The only issue is the front one squeaks terribly. Would a lack of fluid cause that?
That sounds like a contaminated pad. By all means take them out and using some glasspaper rub some of the surface off to see if that solves it, but usually just replace them. Lack of fluid you would normally not get enough power through the caliper to really 'brake', although will also make noise.

£20 for a price of wheels does sound a little too cheap... But totally down to you - might be a well looked after, just a bit old and well used set coming from someone who should know what he's doing.

Converting between TA and QR (Thru Axle and QuickRelease) is really down to the wheelset. Most modern off the shelf wheelsets have 'endcaps' you can fit to swap them over from one to another, as they also allow for different hub/frame widths. Older wheelsets (before the advent of TA) the inner axle may not have a wide enough internal to convert so there is unlikely to be endcaps. Due to hub sizing and builds the endcaps tend to be hub specific. Some OEM wheels or those supplied with off the shelf bikes/brands may not come with endcaps or have them available. Some wheelsets they're an 'extra', etc etc.

I've seen a Giant PR2 wheelset including Shimano rotors which are QR fitting. Initially i figured i would just run them mismatched with my existing front wheel and then maybe look to sell on the new front wheel. However now i'm wondering whether to try and change the front fitting so i can use both Giant wheels. I could then fit them with my 32mm road tyres and then keep an eye out for another rear wheel to match my existing wheels to use with the gravel tyres.

If so, could anyone link to an actual product, i'm finding a huge range. Measurements wise it's 12mm in diameter and i've got it at 137mm in length.

However if i take the code off the axle "QR264-F" i get this (Not sure if the F vs the EN makes a difference?)
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/novatec-qr264renx12-shimano-12mm-thruaxle-m12-x-15-142172mm/
Be careful with Giant 'PR-2' wheels. They may have various different hubs in them depending on the year of manufacture and what model bike they're originally from... You'd likely have to lookup the info on the Giant site to get the specific Giant model/part numbers to be sure of getting the right thing.

That part number has lead you to just a thru axle. That should mostly fit (diameter on road disk wheels has largely settled on 12mm diameter as a standard), but worth double-checking. They're largely cross-compatible, providing long enough and the thread pitch/pattern matches the frame (I've used DT, Specialized, Tacx and now a RobertAxleProject thru axles on my frame, but had to get the specific M12x1.0 threading for my frame).

The majority of new frames with thru axle are 142mm standard width, but there is/was a range of bikes with 135mm (which is the same width as QR), also some 'edge cases' (like my Specialized with SCS 137.5mm width...). Different endcaps for each, but you'd need the specific ones for the hub to make it the right width for the frame.

It's entirely possible Giant are using a Novatec hub on them. But what do you mean by 'axle' - unless you've been able to remove the actual axle from the internal of the hub I'd say that's incorrect (and why you've ended up looking at a Thru Axle and not the end caps you need). The thru axle is almost the easiest bit.

I think I'd want something around 10 minutes so you can get a bit of recovery on the way down.

Maybe this 50 times would do the job

https://www.strava.com/activities/5717666919/segments/2856626119231666258
Yeah same as what I'd really choose. I think anything like a 10-15-20 minute climb which you can settle into a rhythm to pace it to really stay in your Z2/3 is the way. That road as well being where it is, likely to be quiet without too much traffic, has a couple of side lanes you could abandon car/supplies/etc at too.

I’m looking at an upgrade for my old Scott CR1 and want something that will last another 10 years so going the whole hog to electronic shifting. Is it a bad time to be looking at Di2 though if 12 speed is coming any time soon?
It's a 'bad time' to look at anything bike and component related, nevermind just DI2! But it is what it is...

I'm still trying to hunt down a tidy second hand R8050 FD, they used to be £80-90, now closer to £150. Really considering the 6870 route as should be compatible and under £100 for a tidy one...

Not sure what I'm getting at but it's almost like cars these days, have a bike a few years and shift it on for the next owner to deal with any issues.
Pretty much it, the big brands are so sold on selling 'complete' bikes, that any parts tend to be expensive and the deals you used to get on bikes the last few years really meant you replaced rather than upgraded too much. For general riders anyway, for those of us happy to do their own rebuilds/upgrades/servicing then we still do/did, even if it wasn't really much cheaper than selling and buying a new bike on a deal.

Thanks Roadie I'll keep an eye on my trust.

Rode was great we did the same ride as last year and we all had a great time.

My friend struggled 40 miles in but did well to finish the whole route!

Not sure where to head next now!
Good work, got a link to the route? Although you're from Hertfordshire, there's lots of good riding without coming all the way over to wales! Chilterns/South Downs/Cotswolds etc. Unsure how much you've travelled or there are specific reasons why you came all the way over? There's obviously lots more riding around that area which you've only touched on by doing the West side of Wales (like Brecon Beacons to the south). Wye valley around me is superb (also Gospel pass & The Tumble), as well as having Malvern /Monmouth hills in reach. To the north there's Shropshire... I've always said it - I'm in a fantastic place in reach of all of these - now if only I got off my keyboard and actually rode more of them... ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
That sounds like a contaminated pad. By all means take them out and using some glasspaper rub some of the surface off to see if that solves it, but usually just replace them. Lack of fluid you would normally not get enough power through the caliper to really 'brake', although will also make noise.

£20 for a price of wheels does sound a little too cheap... But totally down to you - might be a well looked after, just a bit old and well used set coming from someone who should know what he's doing.

Converting between TA and QR (Thru Axle and QuickRelease) is really down to the wheelset. Most modern off the shelf wheelsets have 'endcaps' you can fit to swap them over from one to another, as they also allow for different hub/frame widths. Older wheelsets (before the advent of TA) the inner axle may not have a wide enough internal to convert so there is unlikely to be endcaps. Due to hub sizing and builds the endcaps tend to be hub specific. Some OEM wheels or those supplied with off the shelf bikes/brands may not come with endcaps or have them available. Some wheelsets they're an 'extra', etc etc.

Thanks again. I took the pads to my local shop and he sprayed them with degreaser which got a bit of crud off, then gave me some extra and suggested i soak them overnight which should work, then if it doesn't work replace them. I've got the kit for bleeding the brakes coming tomorrow. Weirdly excited to give that a go!

Well i went to look at the cheap wheels, they seemed ok to my eyes, but sadly the hub wouldn't fit my cassette, the guy wasn't completely sure but said i could give it a go. I'm going to have a look at the Giant ones over the weekend, i guess they may be too old to have the endcaps. Worst case i'll just move them on but the price (£50) is decent enough even to just use the back wheel and again it gets me out. Have struggled with local shops having stock and again the owner of my local shop seemed quite dismissive. There's a few people that work there, one was really helpful, one i think is the owner and presumably the most knowledgable but was the one that was dismissive and then another seemed quite useless!

Soldato
Well it’s a real rock n roll Saturday here.

I picked up the Giant PR2 wheels this afternoon after attempting to walk the dogs at a local beach as the heavens opened with torrential rain.

Have got the cassette fitted and eventually managed to change the tyres. YouTube certainly makes that look easier than it is. I imagine it’s something you get better at in time. Although I did snap one of the three levers in half!

Have left the brake pads soaking in degreaser for 12 hours and given them a rough up so hopefully they’re ok before I resort to swapping them out for new.

About to try and drain the brake fluid. Although I’m struggling to push back the pistons. It feels very stiff and not sure how much force to use. The YouTube videos make it look like they move quite easily.

Soldato
I put a new chain on my turbo bike on Sunday afternoon as the wear gauge showed fitted at 0.75 but not quite 1.0. Ah, a lovely buttery smooth and silent drivetrain for this morning's turbo session! The chain I replaced had done 4,898.5 km according to Strava - all on the turbo.

Soldato
I put a new chain on my turbo bike on Sunday afternoon as the wear gauge showed fitted at 0.75 but not quite 1.0. Ah, a lovely buttery smooth and silent drivetrain for this morning's turbo session! The chain I replaced had done 4,898.5 km according to Strava - all on the turbo.

Nice! nothing like some smooth riding to really appreciate some new parts!

Soldato
Good work, got a link to the route? Although you're from Hertfordshire, there's lots of good riding without coming all the way over to wales! Chilterns/South Downs/Cotswolds etc. Unsure how much you've travelled or there are specific reasons why you came all the way over? There's obviously lots more riding around that area which you've only touched on by doing the West side of Wales (like Brecon Beacons to the south). Wye valley around me is superb (also Gospel pass & The Tumble), as well as having Malvern /Monmouth hills in reach. To the north there's Shropshire... I've always said it - I'm in a fantastic place in reach of all of these - now if only I got off my keyboard and actually rode more of them... ;)

Here was the ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/5726868070 - As I said it was my mates first time for a "proper" ride so we went back to the same place as last year just for some familiarity. Still had a blast, even if a sheep did nearly take me off on the first decent!

Thanks for the Trust message by the way, Ive been a bit swamped with work and personal to reply. Trying to see if anyone local has anything first but if not ill certainly take you up on the offer. Still just trying to find a decent second hand wheel for the turbo only with a cassette that will fit my setup.

Soldato
I got back yesterday from a slightly drama filled trip to the Lake District. We got there the night before and the guy that drove me up had an accident and is still in hospital now! I think he's fine, but started things off a little odd. (I drove his camper van home for him)

Then, having had great weather the weeks before, the rain came for pretty much every day we rode. We did a few great climbs though, really challenging. Given I've never ridden more than 5,000ft of elevation and only over 80 miles twice, we did 150 miles and 14,000ft of elevation in the first two days. The third day was reduced to 57 miles and 3,500ft, thank god... then on the fourth day I woke with a dicky tummy. I tried, but only managed 6 miles before deciding I just couldn't do it, felt crappy.

NYilD1L.jpg

QmnbfiK.jpg

Soldato
Looks great.

I'm hoping to finally get out today. Brakes are topped up and working. I ended up using a local bike mechanic who was happy to do the work whilst i hovered and watched/asked questions.

He did suggest it could also do with a new chain (and possibly new cassette), but i think i'll just try and spend a month or so actually riding it first before i continue spending. Luckily i suppose going with the cheaper bike has left plenty of cash free for new parts. Just a shame supply is so low. I currently have a 11-32 fitted, most places are only stocking the 11-28. Would that be too brutal for any hills as a new cyclist?

Also, given that the cost difference isn't huge when looking at individual components, is it worth going with an Ultegra cassette, and the slowly switching up, or just sticking with the 105?

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers, one day i'll get my head around gearing!

I guess the decision now is do i change the chain/cassette/chainring for ~£150 or wait until i know i'm going to enjoy cycling more. The flip side is then whether having the newer components would increase the enjoyment levels!

Main downside is that i'm in a virtual challenge for the month which has got away from me a little so i need to be running an average of just over 4 miles a day with no rest days. So it doesn't leave a lot of time for the bike!

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks great.

I'm hoping to finally get out today. Brakes are topped up and working. I ended up using a local bike mechanic who was happy to do the work whilst i hovered and watched/asked questions.

He did suggest it could also do with a new chain (and possibly new cassette), but i think i'll just try and spend a month or so actually riding it first before i continue spending. Luckily i suppose going with the cheaper bike has left plenty of cash free for new parts. Just a shame supply is so low. I currently have a 11-32 fitted, most places are only stocking the 11-28. Would that be too brutal for any hills as a new cyclist?

Also, given that the cost difference isn't huge when looking at individual components, is it worth going with an Ultegra cassette, and the slowly switching up, or just sticking with the 105?

Ultegra cassettes are silly prices IMHO at the moment, so I'd stick with 105 and save the £30/40. The weight saving is only something like 30 grams.

Unless your chain is slipping, I would ensure it's cleaned and lubed so running smoothly / quietly and sit on the money. I'd agree with @AndyCr15 - unless your existing drivetrain sounds like a cement mixer, it's not going to improve a ride.

Back
Top Bottom