Road Cycling

Soldato
Garmin / Wahoo is whole can of worms... I've had a Garmin Edge 800 for almost 8 years now. The fact I've been using it for that long hopefully speaks for itself in terms of reliability over hundreds of rides. It has thrown the odd wobble but sorted itself out. I've just got a new battery for it and the USB port is getting a bit iffy (seems a known issue - eg here), so my plan this weekend is to open it up to check for corrosion on the USB connector and replace the battery. I have been reading reviews again though as my backup plan is to replace it.

However, there's other OCUK cycling regulars who've had the same or other Edge units (eg 810/820) that have found them very unreliable (stability etc) and moved to Wahoo. Nip onto any cycling forum and you'll find somewhere who made the same jump.

You can also throw Hammerhead with the Karoo 2 into the mix now. Have you read / watched DCRainmaker's in-depth reviews of the units?

Edge 530: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-530-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html
Edge 830: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-830-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html
Bolt V2: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/05...h-color-screen-maps-a-review-in-progress.html
Karoo 2: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/12/hammerhead-karoo-2-in-depth-review.html and https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/06/hammerhead-karoos-new-climber-feature-heres-how-it-works.html

In my reading at the moment, I'm not sure the Edge 830 is worth the extra over the 530, especially given the 530 can be had for around £205 at the moment (with no HR or sensors) - that compares to £349 for the 830. The key differences seem to be:

I've never wanted or needed to search for an address on my Edge as I tend to either know the route I'm riding or have pre-planned it, so it comes down to buttons vs touchscreen and a big difference in price. The Karoo2 is £359 direct from Hammerhead but they do offer a 45 day trial. Hammerhead do drop updates once or twice a month though (release notes), so it's a developing platform which bodes well.

Thanks for all that information. I had heard of the Karoo2 but I never ended up searching for it. Plenty to read from your links though, thanks!

I had heard people had moved from Garmin to Wahoo due to a few gremlins but I figured if any hive mind would know what was best, it would be OCUK!

I do really like the idea of having my strava segments flash up in front of me. I have a feeling all my PBs will crumble when I eventually get me new bike.

Oh how sweet gears will feel!

Soldato
Came to fit the new chain and one of the lugs on the chain tool snapped off, very disappointed with that as it's not even like i dropped it or did anything wrong. Going to get in touch with Wiggle about a replacement.

Went to the lbs to see if they'd fit it for me so it's at least usable in the meantime and he mentioned a new cassette would be worthwhile, i mentioned the issue about availability/cost, then figured sod it and asked if they had any in stock. Turns out they had a 105 "as new" cassette in stock that he'd give me a discount on. So worked out at £40 with the chain fitting.

Given the cassette is ~£45 online i'm fairly happy with that!

Soldato
I got back yesterday from a slightly drama filled trip to the Lake District. We got there the night before and the guy that drove me up had an accident and is still in hospital now! I think he's fine, but started things off a little odd. (I drove his camper van home for him)

Then, having had great weather the weeks before, the rain came for pretty much every day we rode. We did a few great climbs though, really challenging. Given I've never ridden more than 5,000ft of elevation and only over 80 miles twice, we did 150 miles and 14,000ft of elevation in the first two days. The third day was reduced to 57 miles and 3,500ft, thank god... then on the fourth day I woke with a dicky tummy. I tried, but only managed 6 miles before deciding I just couldn't do it, felt crappy.

NYilD1L.jpg

QmnbfiK.jpg
Some quality miles and climbing Andy, even considering the weather! Sure hope your friend is all ok soon, what a way to start the trip! :(

Having not actually ridden it yet, i'm not sure. The bike guy suggested the main issue was that the chain struggled to move out of the smallest cog at the back and so i would ofter need to go up 2 and then down 1 to get that gear. He mentioned this was a sign of the chain being an issue (along with a huge amount of play in the chain). He also gave me some chain link things incase the chain snapped on an outing which can't be a good sign!
Did he mean lowest or highest gear? Big end or little end of the cassette... Either way is likely more a problem/age/wear on the cable, shifters, derailleur and not the chain itself. A worn chain stretches, not refuses to move sideways (unless it's really gunked/rusted up). Skipping and rough sounding due to the extra length, yes, but not generally an issue shifting. Cables are an easy/relatively cheap swap but takes a bit of tweaking. A good skill to learn (replacing cables and indexing) but also a steep learning curve. Cables are inexpensive, certainly compared to other components. A RD's springs pull it 'outwards' to the smaller/higher cogs, cable tension pulls it back 'inwards' or down the cassette. So the chain struggling to move out of the smallest (highest gear) is more likely to be related to the cable tension.

The rear shifter seems fine, but I struggled to get it back onto the bigger front cog when I had dropped it for a hill.
Again, likely the cable leading to low cable tension. Tight FD cable moves it outwards to the large ring. The springs pull it into the small ring. So a stretched/old cable will need more tension to move it to the bigger cog.

Just sounds like it needs a good clean and new cables fitting. I probably change mine annually unless I see any damage or need to change them. Usually a job for the spring so they're nice and new in the better weather so the winter can be as nasty as it likes to them...

What a rubbish system! Decided to not cancel my order and hope that when it's time to dispatch the order will throw up a flag and they let me just use credit card to finalise it.
Seems a bit archaeic for them not to be able to change a payment method on an order. Also pretty rubbish your Employer can change things like that after giving you the infor to order from it!

I'd do as you've said. Surely the Canyon accounts department will have flexibility when actually trying to take the payment. Even if it's cancelling it and putting it though again - at least the bike will have been made/provisioned to you so shouldn't see another wait!

My buttery smooth smugness is short lived as the chain started to slip on low cadence / high power efforts (so in 50x12) yesterday and this morning's turbo was even worse. Time to spend an age trying to find a reasonable price but in-stock 50T chainring and 12-28 cassette :rolleyes:

I've just found PBK have a Tiagra 4700 chainset in 172.5mm for £79.99 but it's a 52/36. Would the chain be to short to go from a 50/34 to 52/36? Tempting to buy that as a new outer ring is £40.
You might find it's ok, or just won't go into 52*28 - so just don't use that extreme on your turbo. As it's a turbo then really not much need for a 50t on there anyway!

I remembered i have some Halfords vouchers from a Confused.com insurance policy and figured i would use them to change the chain on my bike. I figure that a newer chain would presumably help to prolong the life of the cassettes?

Would this fit? The guy had mentioned that SRAM would be fine, i'm just not sure how to work out the number of links required without taking the chain off? Would you try and mark one of them and then count around?

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...-powerlock-chain-114-links-silver-422629.html
No problem fitting SRAM 11 speed chains onto Shimano 11 speed drivechains. I only ride Shimano, but actually prefer SRAM chains. The 1170 is a great chain.

Just check you can use the 2 Halfords vouchers on 1 purchase/item.

Given the cassette is ~£45 online i'm fairly happy with that!
Yup, result!

Garmin / Wahoo is whole can of worms...
Always a can of worms. Like AMD vs Intel, AMD vs Nvidia etc etc.

I went through a Garmin Edge 500 and an 810 in around 2.5 years. Lots of fiddling and hassle with them, rubbish support and was really disappointed once I started to get issues. The hardware is glitchy at best. I used a phone before with Strava and IPBike apps for a couple of years.

So took a punt in 2016 and switched to a Wahoo ELEMNT, cheaper than both the Edges, loads less hassle and currently more than twice the age of both of the Edges combined. I'm a Wahooligan convert and really glad I took the 'risk' going for a new headunit before they'd been out very long and didn't just get another Garmin. The 'problems' with Wahoo are really non-issues for me. I'd easily get the BOLT as a replacement when this dies. I was afraid I'd miss the configuring/tweaking/colour screen/touchscreen and I haven't.

I posted a couple of passing comments on 'tweaks' on some Element owner google group years ago. One of them being a battery percentage % as the device is turning off. Thought nothing of it and noticed one of the recent updates enabled it and now my ELEMNT shows it. I've no idea if it was my comments, but awesome they're still updating and adding features to my original ELEMNT 5 years after I got it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers @Roady

I think because i went for the cheaper £300 Pinnacle bike i was happy to spend money at it vs the £500 Cannondale, worked out in total i'm not at ~£550 in total, but that includes the tool kit, helmet, lights, various degreasers/lube/brake fluid etc so i'm pretty happy in all. Especially since i now have a stash of spares, including a spare front wheel, 2 rotors, 32mm road tyres and mudguards.

I'm definitely aiming to just get to riding now and withholding any more spending. Well i say that, i am still debating getting some hybrid pedals and cleats in a few weeks/month as i figure that'd make a big enough difference.

Soldato
I was 99% sure of getting the Roam due to my friends experience with it but then I noticed the Garmin 830 and I thought as a device it looks nice and smaller but it sounds like the user experience is better on the slightly uglier Roam.

Any strong feelings either way or are both decent that you can't go wrong with one over the other. The Roam looks a bit more useful in all conditions

I went for the 830 while a mate went Wahoo at the same time. I'm confident I made the right choice.

Soldato
Thanks for all the well wishes for my friend :)

I do really like the idea of having my strava segments flash up in front of me. I have a feeling all my PBs will crumble when I eventually get me new bike.

I do this on my Wahoo and it can be surprisingly helpful, even now I'm not particularly chasing PR's. This trip I just did, I checked the climbs in advance and 'starred' the big ones. Then as I enter the climb/segment it very quickly tells me how long it will take me, so I can measure my power to match. I think I also have the terrain profile on my segment page, so I can see when it ramps up etc. Makes tackling the climbs a lot better.

I'm sure we could argue back and forth about Garmin or Wahoo... :cry: I've never had issue and any time I've ridden with someone that's had an issue, I don't think they've ever been Wahoo's... :p

Soldato
Got out again tonight. My bum was still sore from Wednesday. I really need some padded shorts!

Also a first outing for my wife on an electric bike. She had fun mocking me because she has a throttle that turns her bike into a 15mph moped more or less!

I also need a better phone mount. I had bought some weird rubber thing that secures like a watch strap but it slides down rather than being fixed in place. I’m trying to avoid buying something proper!

The good news is that new pads have stopped my brakes making horrendous noises and the new chain has make gear changes much better.

Soldato
Went to the peaks last weekend for a bit of MTB bikepacking and really enjoyed it. It reminded me though that I really want to get up there on my road bike and to get a bigger cassette sorted.

Currently on 11-28 and have got hold of a GS derailleur and a new chain, and just managed to find a 11-34 cassette which are like hens teeth at the mo.

As I live and usually ride in Essex where it’s quite flat I’ll still want to use my 11-28 a lot of the time - if I set the chain length for big/big plus 1-3 links as per Shimano’s manual, should the chain length be suitable for both cassettes?

Compact up front, 50 tooth I think.

Soldato
I get it, but I would still take a look at second hand Wahoo's and see if you can grab a reasonably priced one. If and when you start doing 1 or 2 hour rides, you don't want to be using your phone. Also, I found I was always in fear of my phone bouncing off my handlebars...

Yeah. I think as soon as I start getting to longer rides I’ll make the change. Just trying not to do so until I know I’ll use it.

Also debating whether I’m better to get a mount for my Garmin Fenix 6X rather than using my phone. Would avoid duplication as I’d still record on my watch for fitness tracking anyway. Only downside is screen size really.

Soldato
Yeah. I think as soon as I start getting to longer rides I’ll make the change. Just trying not to do so until I know I’ll use it.

I had a mount for my watch at one point which worked well but then you lose the HRM because it’s not on you.

Have a look on eBay for a Garmin Edge 25 or similar - can get one for under £50 I bet and they work perfectly well :)

Soldato

Also debating whether I’m better to get a mount for my Garmin Fenix 6X rather than using my phone. Would avoid duplication as I’d still record on my watch for fitness tracking anyway. Only downside is screen size really.

Before I committed to buying my Garmin I used my watch on my wrist and infrequently checked it. I wouldn't put a phone on the handlebars as seen many people say it damaged their phones camera.

Associate
I’ve found the quad lock cases/bike mount to be excellent. I’ve done around 1000km with it without any issue at all.

However, I got this when I first started cycling last year to go with a relatively cheap Halfords bike and wasn’t looking to commit much money until I knew I would use it. If you are serious about cycling and doing rides over 2 hours, then the cycle computer is the better buy. Even 90 minute rides are very draining on the phone.

Soldato
Have been fairly inactive for the last 2 weeks on the bike, but I did price up a wheel off turbo trainer that is compatible with my bike for winter. Seems Trek Domane are not compatible with Wahoo trainers.

Just need to buy it + a cassette and we are good to go. :) Plus some accessories. Already have a room for it :)

Soldato
Did 58 (reasonably hilly) miles on Saturday around the Chilterns and then 50 miles yesterday morning and my legs are still not feeling great, either from my illness on Monday or the Lakes riding from the weekend. Got a work ride this evening, so the pace will be nice and slow at least.

Soldato
Did 58 (reasonably hilly) miles on Saturday around the Chilterns and then 50 miles yesterday morning and my legs are still not feeling great, either from my illness on Monday or the Lakes riding from the weekend. Got a work ride this evening, so the pace will be nice and slow at least.

Out of interest, how's the progression with cycling? I know with running it's generally advised to build up very slowly and gradually to build up to marathon distance. Is there anything like that with cycling? I assume it's just a case of doing as long as your fitness can last and in theory as long as you rest and can physically do it then you can just go as long as you're capable of?

I want to do long rides and often see people in a local cycling facebook group organise rides around 60-80 miles. I'm curious how long it may take to build up to that level.

Back
Top Bottom