Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
ZWq2ETYh.jpg

My tank, although that is getting shut down and corals/Fish transferred to the custom made 7 footer when i buy it next year :)

Do plenty of research on marines then set a budget and double it lol :cry:

Got some amazing bargains on Band with my local groups. Tank prices have plummeted with people almost giving them away. Got a Red Sea Reefer 170 last month almost new for £100, tank, cabinet and sump. It’s my nem tank :D also a gen5 rad for 150 inc mount

Soldato
Damn, that’s a bargain. I’d have got that just to run tropicals in it for that price.

I have a small red sea nano that I can’t give away, it’s stored in my mates garage. I got it second hand for a fraction of the new price. Lots of tanks on the Band app in my area

Last edited:
Soldato
Second hand tank prices have always been cheap but in the last 18 months they have plummeted. I bought a Red Sea Reefer 350 for a friend, complete with everything for £250.

Soldato
What are people doing to keep there tanks cool in this weather.

My tanks are up to 29C now. Ive been putting bottles of cold water n but not making a huge difference.
The cold water tank which I’m cycling is hotter than my tropical tank :cry: (26c vs 25c)

The filter looks fine for that tank size, as others have said you just need to give it time.

While the filter has a concentration of bacteria, all surfaces in the tank will be covered in it (once cycled!). Contrary to the internet’s view, you don’t tend to need huge filters to support life in sensibly stocked fish tanks.

New tanks take a long time to build up the bacteria as you are starting at effectively zero.
Good to know - thanks :)

Soldato
ZWq2ETYh.jpg

My tank, although that is getting shut down and corals/Fish transferred to the custom made 7 footer when i buy it next year :)

Do plenty of research on marines then set a budget and double it lol :cry:

Posts like these make me miss my marine tank. I would just sit and watch them for ages. Fascinating and very calming. Nice setup you have there.

Soldato
A quick tank cycling question

I know the majority of the good bacteria live in the filter, substrate and decs but would adding water from a cycled tank into an in progress cycling take make any difference/benefit?

Soldato
No but there is no reason why you couldn’t take a small piece of filter material from the old tank and put it in the new one, that will drastically speed up the cycle process.

Associate
Looking to upgrade my 180l aquarium to something in the 300+ litre range and tempted to go with a hoodless design.

How have people who have switched found the maintenance on hoodless, is it really much easier?

Soldato
The biggest issue with not having a lid is evaporation, particularly on a 300L tank. You could lose 10s of litres per week and that will be going into your house. If you don’t have enough ventilation, it can cause damp.

Soldato
Is there not also a potential risk of fish jumping out? Or is the assumption there would be a netting type arrangement on top?

I used to have lizards in a tank, and the lid didn't stop one of them escaping. Bizarrely it just got into a different tank (half land/ half water amphibians tank). I assumed it was lost, until I saw its head poking out from underneath some moss.

Soldato
My current tank is open top with a polycarbonate and netting cover custom made, lose 25 litres a week in evaporation so my next tank is having glass covers with a pelmet, more work as glass needs cleaned often and you lose a little par on lighting. do not use acrylic covers as these will warp very fast.

Associate
lost another rosy tetra this morning the hot spell and the tank going up to 32c didn't help i think, only one left now :( they were bought 3 years ago maybe they are just coming to end of lifespan the 3 corys i have all okay as are the nine glow light tetra.

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided on this overflow box for the new build, peninsula style but not using as one, need the overlfow on the left, Bean Animal drain :)

7DBpyQqh.jpg
7DBpyQq.hjpg

Man of Honour
Think its time to re-build my tank, what do people recommend for planted tropical substrate? I went for sand over fertiliser last time and didn't really like the sand tbh.

I'm dosing liquid carbon and ferts at the moment but guess I can dial back on the ferts with fresh aquarium soil?

Back
Top Bottom