Significant incident Plymouth

Soldato
Most of the gun crime in the UK used to be rural areas. Theft of guns and people using them dangerously. Most injuries were from people accidently shooting themselves. It was very rare that someone got shot on purpose.

With modern London's gun crime that has likely changed.

Is Plymouth in London then?

Soldato
Sigh as usual a tragic and avoidable situation results in people going after firearms and shotguns again because its the low hanging fruit of the problem. Gun owners and guns arent the problem its a extremely small minority who have access to them due to failings in the system from both a mental health perspective and licensing.

If the story of his fmaily asking for mental support is true then this is a failing by the NHS and his GP as they are legally required to report the concerns to the police and they will take custody of his firearms either until they deem fit or remove them completely if they revoke his license.

The second and most important failing here is the police. When doing the background checks they are required to check things like social media platforms for concerns about gun ownership and if they had checked his youtube channel 100% they wouldnt have granted him a license or revoked his license. His youtube channel was created 20th Jul 2016, licenses last for 5 years, worst case scenario he was granted AND renewed his license in the timeframe from his channel being created to the time he shot these people which means at least at renewal they should have picked up on his incel videos on youtube if they werent on his channel when he first created it. Alternatively the license was granted relatively recently in which case they again 100% should have picked up on this stuff and his demeanor in the interview/ security checks.

Soldato
Your RELATIVE, comes in with a gun, which is unusual, but you still don't expect a family member to start shooting you up. Even if you were armed, you probably are not going to start blasting at that person without some other threat (I.e. they start shooting, or make heavy active threats). You may even just try to calm them down.

This is not straightforward at all. This is not a simple intrusion, where the threat is extremely clear. Time is needed to figure out what the heck is going on.

In my mind, being armed wouldn't have stopped this.

Soldato
Can sympathise with the guy a bit. Dating sites are shoddy for a guy's confidence. My housemate tattooed all over, muscled to the brim, gets attention out and about, but online dating- nothing.
I think the pandemic hasn't been a help, stopping people mixing for a year, mental health taking a backfoot as they're behind.
You can really sympathise with a guy who can murder a 3 year old??

That's pretty shocking I must admit.

Soldato
Caporegime
Short of.banning all guns what is your solution? This sort of incident is already incredibly rare in the UK. Knee-jerk reactions will only cause the overwhelming majority to suffer.

Well the tiny minority of the population that is gun owners.

People have tried suggesting reasonable adjustments and sport gun owners are stomping their feet saying its inconvenient.

Sport/fun gun ownership just cost lives.

It's no skin of 99% of the populations nose to demand all guns be banned.

An industry can be set up where incredibly well vetted people store guns in a police station and provide services to farmers

Outside of that nothing at all. No FARC no shotguns.
Nothing.

It wouldn't affect practically any voter.

Lobby groups may say please save our industry with gun clubs alowed to hold a stock people can rent for use.

Maybe even their own if we store it.

But the position of the electorate may well be "we don't want our children dying for your Sport, or your convenience".

If there was a referendum do you honestly think the 1%(?) Of the population that owns guns for fun would win?

Associate
You can really sympathise with a guy who can murder a 3 year old??

That's pretty shocking I must admit.

Theres two things that should be considered here. One, the attrocity of his act is awful yes. But two his mental state, and him as a person. My post obviously relates to two and shouldn't be twisted to be something is isn't. You know better than that.

Back
Top Bottom