Significant incident Plymouth

Soldato
The application process for a firearm/shotgun certificate doesn't ask for any details of social media profiles and even if it did, or if police had the time/resources to trawl the internet for associated accounts for every applicant, it's fairly easy to circumvent that (by not providing the information) and by having accounts in a different name, as was the case with Davison's YouTube channel.

Yet i know people who have had their social media trawled by police before issuing a license and suprise suprise the media is reporting that he recently had his license renewed which means my original post was 100% on point

Commissario
I keep reading people flip flopping between Firearms License (FAC) and Shotgun Certificate (SGC) when they are talking about this as if they are equivalent and that just isn't the case.

--- snip ---

Please don't confuse the two just because they both involve 'guns'. Its a bit like making restrictions tougher for licensed car owners because some yob on an unlicensed E-scooter hit someone on the pavement just because they are both vehicles.

A very sensible post that will probably go ignored in this thread. There are a couple of points that I'm not entirely sure are accurate, although I guess they may very between police forces.

You must use each firearm in your possession at least 3 times a year or the police will deem that you do not have a need to be in possession of said firearm and will take it from you.
I've never heard of this before and it's certainly not the case in this area.

You may only use the firearm at the locations prescribed on the firearm license, typically just the range you are a member of.
Definitely not correct. I used to shoot regularly at locations around the country and none of those were listed on my ticket.

both need a letter from your GP saying that you are of sound mind and fit to hold a license/cert.
I don't believe this is correct either. When I originally applied for my FAC, all I had to do was list the doctors name and sign a declaration regarding certain conditions. The surgery was never contacted (but see below). I'd have known if they had because they charge a fee for any letters like this.

The police are quite proactive when it comes to firearms certificates and checking up on FAC holders. Some years ago, my daughter was involved in an incident at school that meant she had to go to the local police station and make a statement. A week or so after, I had a phone call from the local firearms officer asking me about it and checking to make sure everything was OK.

When I completed my last renewal, one of the questions was whether I'd been prescribed any medication for depression since the previous renewal. As it happened, I had been prescribed certain medication for depression but I never even took the prescription to the chemist. I declared this and had a call from the FEO telling me that I'd need to arrange a letter from the GP to explain the reason why I'd been prescribed those tablets, even though I'd never had them.

I do know the most likely outcome however - mass outrage from an ignorant public to make firearms licensing tougher will mean more restrictions for firearms owners by politicians looking for an easy win. Meanwhile shotgun certification, enjoyed by the elite and privileged (who wants pesky regulations and laws in the way when you have lady such and such over for a bit of grouse shooting on your estate), will see no changes.
Sadly true. It's like when the air cartridge system was banned a few years ago, totally unnecessarily because an idiot politician with no brain decided that the guns could be converted to fire real .22 ammunition. They couldn't, not without extensive work and then they were more likely to explode anyway due to them being made of monkey metal. I still don't think there was ever any case of a converted Brocock being used to successfully fire real bullets but that made no difference, they were banned. Not only were they banned but it was done without any compensation and I personally know people who lost thousands of pounds worth of equipment.

Once again, legal and responsible firearms owners will get shafted here due to stupid knee-jerk reactions.

Soldato
ITzwOvX.png

See this is the problem with recreational gun ownership.
No matter how good the rules and protocols are mistakes are going to occur (human error) and the consequences are innocent people dyeing :mad:
Time to ban recreational gun ownership.

Man of Honour
I've never heard of this before and it's certainly not the case in this area.

I'd have to look it up but I seem to recall there is some stuff that you need to actually use to have on your firearms certificate, it isn't' a blanket policy though.

No matter how good the rules and protocols are mistakes are going to occur (human error) and the consequences are innocent people dyeing :mad:

We shouldn't be giving up freedoms just because of extremely rare events as tragic as they are.

Man of Honour
[..]

People have been murdered with sports equipment (cricket bat, baseball bat, etc) as the murder weapon. Time to ban all recreational sports.

Man of Honour
Being able to blast a gun isn't a 'freedom'

Yes it is.

:rolleyes:

Jesus wept, you people are moronic!
Please link to the last killing spree committed with 'Sports equipment'

Not actually a killing spree but:

Had to physically restrain a friend at school after he'd had enough of years of mostly verbal bullying and some stuff like slapping his drink out of his hand from the same 2-3 guys - one day he'd had enough went home got a cricket bat and started battering them so maybe I kind of understand this more than some :S

Didn't end there though at college they started on him again and he beat one of them to a pulp unfortunatly (again with a cricket bat).

If I hadn't have been there he'd have probably killed at least one of them probably more.

EDIT: Actually wish this thread hadn't brought that memory up - that was not a situation I want to relive.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
:rolleyes:

Jesus wept, you people are moronic!
Please link to the last killing spree committed with 'Sports equipment'

Oh, I see. You're OK with people being killed as long as it isn't a spree killing. Other killings aren't a reason to ban things, but spree killings are.

Would you apply that standard regardless of numbers killed? Say, for example, 500 people were killed per year in seperate incidents in which the murder weapon was A and an average of 0.2 people were killed per year in spree killings in which the murder weapon was B. Would you ban B but not A despite A being used in 2500 times as many homicides as B?

Soldato
Enjoying things is pointless? Well then isn't life?

So ban all cricket and baseball bats then? Ban dogs?

I'm not sure you realise how moronic that statement makes you look!

Comparing guns to objects that have a intrinsic rule in society just shows that you are desperately clutching at straws

Just be honest and admit that you believe a fringe hobby is more important than human life!
It's obviously horrifically selfish & morally bankrupt but at least be honest

Man of Honour
Comparing guns to objects that have a intrinsic rule in society just shows that you are desperately clutching at straws

If you reduce things down enough, nothing has purpose until we give it one. There are many things the only purpose is enjoyment until we weaponise them. A gun is just something which fires a bit of metal very fast, just as a car is just a bit of metal that moves very fast, a baseball bat just a bit of metal we swing fast.

Man of Honour

You're seeing yourself projected onto others.

You can't make your argument consistent with anything, including itself, and now you're resorting to nonsense about cricket bats, baseball bats and suchlike having "a intrinsic rule in society". At best that's arguing that something should be legal solely because it's common enough and that not being common enough is a good enough reason to make something illegal. But without actually meaning it, since guns are more common than baseball bats in the USA.

Soldato

Just be honest and admit that you believe a fringe hobby is more important than human life!
It's obviously horrifically selfish & morally bankrupt but at least be honest
Cricket bats have an intrinsic rule in society?

Cricket bats are killing people though, yet you believe they are more important than human life?

Back
Top Bottom